No announcement yet.

Some pictures what I drew (redux)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't see 56 (Young Harry Kane) on that diagram (is that the point..?)

Comment

Just below the end of the Emery Out banner.

Comment

Oh yeah, ta. I'm shit with advent calendars too.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/football...-jose-mourinho

Nice references to Morrissey, The Sopranos, 2001 and Alan Partridge this week.

Comment

So much in every frame, even more than most weeks. The At The Drive In poster may be one of my favourite Squires Easter eggs ever.

Comment

Most of it over my head again.

2001 and at the drive in, but none of the rest of it

Comment

I liked the Vardy panels. And the line "...in a sentence I never thought I'd write."

Comment

What's the panel with Klopp's trousers referencing?

Comment

Morrissey wearing jeans and shoes - a fashion crime stereotypically ascribed to middle class English rugby fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      Morrissey wearing jeans and shoes - a fashion crime stereotypically ascribed to middle class English rugby fans.
                      Just when I thought I could handle this language...

I imagine you're not supposed to go barefoot whenever you wear jeans. So what is the intended complement of "shoes"?

Comment

Shoes should only be worn with a suit or, at a push, "slacks".

Trainers or boots should be worn with jeans.

Comment

In Dutch, all these categories would fall under "schoenen", which we translate directly to "shoes". We do have "laarzen" as a translation of "boots", but it's mostly meant for these:

or these:

We do steal the word "sneakers" for a subcategory of "schoenen", and I imagine that this broadly corresponds to what you call "trainers". I'm still fuzzy on what can and cannot be "boots". I think I have a rough idea about "shoes" now.

I guess I should draw a Venn diagram at this point.

Comment

American English is the same as Dutch in this respect.

Comment

Shoes

Boots

Trainers

Daps

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 03-03-2020, 14:45.

Comment

Ugh.

Brogues

Yuk.

Comment

The final gag is a repeat, incidentally. Squires has done Mourinho as Partridge with the "Can I just shock you" line before, talking about wine with Ferguson.

Still, works nicely here anyway.

Comment

The jeans and shoes reference now cleared up, I just need the At -the Drive In (and, indeed, all Mourinho's posters) explained and I missed the Sopranos reference completely so probably that as well.

Comment

Daps? Daps?!?

They're plimsolls! Plimsolls! The bloody jpeg address even says, "school plimsolls"!

Daps.

Comment

Daps or Pumps when I was a kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                          The jeans and shoes reference now cleared up, I just need the At -the Drive In (and, indeed, all Mourinho's posters) explained and I missed the Sopranos reference completely so probably that as well.
                                          The two brothers from At The Drive In had big hair like Arsenal players Luiz and Guendouzi :

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus were an emo era band, I think the visual is of an Arsenal Fan TV guy.

I'm had to look up Cap'n Jazz but they were apparently influential on emo acts and I presume it's a reference to Xhaka's recent problems.

Uncle Junior frequently upset Tony by saying he was "never a Varsity athlete".
                                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-11-2019, 20:48.

Comment

I thank you.

"Xhaka's recent problems."?

Comment

Granit Xhaka: Arsenal midfielder stripped of captaincy, says Unai Emery

Comment

I liked Roy Hodgson's head turning 180° (with 180 helpfully written on by Squires), because he looks like an owl.

Morrissey's jeans were disgustingly ill-fitting as well as being paired with shoes, I think the cut of them drew more attention than the footwear choice.

Comment

Oh my good fucking god.

My favourite bit is the tattoo.

Comment

I loved the "putting the phwoar into war" part.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X