West Brom In China -1978

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Brom In China -1978

A clip of West Brom's famous visit to China over three decades ago has recently surfaced on You Tube. It's only 2 and a half minutes long but that's enough to convey the shock of the culture clash experienced by the players (and no doubt the Chinese.)

Once You've Seen One Wall You've Seen Them All

The above quote is well known of course. Some other gems in there too though - "never mind the food, get on with the fags" and "I've bent balls round bigger walls than this."

I recall reading somewhere that Big Ron was asked for his views on the standard of the teams that WBA played, and he was supposed to have said - amongst other things - that they'd been able to expose "the chinks in the defence."

That's got to be apocryphal hasn't it?

We often use examples like these to illustrate the limited horizons of many professional footballers of the era, but were they not simply reflecting the British public in general at that time?

West Brom In China -1978

John Trewick is the man guilty of the greatest football culture history related quote ever.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Always like historyman's threads.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Antepli Ejderha wrote:
        John Trewick is the man guilty of the greatest football culture history related quote ever.
        we ended up buying him ...and for a club record fee at the time...even now struggling to think of anything with which to remember his contribution to a mediocre second division team or relate an anecdote however apocryphal that disputes the image of his great wall of china comment...

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Antepli Ejderha wrote:
          I read a book a few months ago (Samba in the Smethwick End) where Trewick claimed he was being tongue in cheek and wasn't intending to offend. He also felt that the documentary was edited to give a false impression of the players who were actually more respectful of their hosts.

Unfortunately I lent the book to somebody and didn't get it back, so I can't directly quote from it. Would be very interested to see the whole film if it still exists.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Arturo wrote:

I read a book a few months ago (Samba in the Smethwick End) where Trewick claimed he was being tongue in cheek and wasn't intending to offend. He also felt that the documentary was edited to give a false impression of the players who were actually more respectful of their hosts.

Would be very interested to see the whole film if it still exists.
            I think it was a 'World in Action' documentary. I'm sure a lot of folks would want to see it, even people who aren't particularly into football. It's a fascinating snapshot of China at a time when few Westerners visited the country, and of course of a culture in football that no longer exists in any substantial form.

Does anybody know how to go about asking Granada if they've any plans to stick it on one of the ITV stations?

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

I remember that, strangely, BBC2 carried the second half of one game live, and I think West Brom won 3-0. Wonder what the rights went for.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Just found out a bit more info on the trip, which absolutely fascinates me, and it seems that it was the BBC and not ITV who produced the documentary. 'The World About Us' as opposed to 'World In Action'.

The article below by Dave Bowler puts the trip into context.

http://www.firsttouchonline.com/?p=3669

Somebody with the right connections should persuade the Beeb to air this on BBC4. Surely they could create the space in their schedules - like when there's a missing week in the TOTP archive.

Besides the cultural significance of West Brom's visit, there would also be the added bonus of seeing Bryan Robson's bubble perm in all its glory.

Also came across this photo of The Three Degrees posing with The Three Degrees:

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

What. A. Picture.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

This was the trip when Ron Atkinson couldn't get over how many Chinese people there were, as he thought Chinese women were the greatest contraception of all due to their (lack of) attractiveness.
                    Shite-hawk.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Sorry to bring this back up but...

Ah, had a recent conversation with my dad. Who told me he was there. He said it was a great honour and was amazed by West Brom and wants them to do well and it defined football for his youth years. One of the things he'll always remember. (Mind you he's been on the streets leading gang fights once)

It's pretty cool for me at least, that he has great memories of it. Contrasting point of views.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Chinglish Teacher wrote:
                        Sorry to bring this back up but...

Ah, had a recent conversation with my dad. Who told me he was there. He said it was a great honour and was amazed by West Brom and wants them to do well and it defined football for his youth years. One of the things he'll always remember. (Mind you he's been on the streets leading gang fights once)

It's pretty cool for me at least, that he has great memories of it. Contrasting point of views.
                        Sorry I'm a bit confused by your reply. Do you mean that your dad is from Beijing and was there when West Brom visited?

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

No, he said he actually was in the stadium. It was National Team vs West Brom. I don't doubt him since he came from a privileged Communist background, that even had a television in the house during that time. It sounds like nostalgia now, but he still says West Brom is the best live team he has ever seen.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Chinglish Teacher wrote:

It sounds like nostalgia now, but he still says West Brom is the best live team he has ever seen.
                            Well they were one of the top sides in England in 1978 and very attractive to watch.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

There's a nice slide show and article on the Birmingham Mail website about this tour:

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/west-bromwich-albion-fc/west-bromwich-albion-fc-news/2012/02/16/west-brom-special-feature-historic-trip-to-the-orient-for-the-baggies-97319-30342346/

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Wow, thanks for that link. That Chinese trip was a superb example of two very different worlds and cultures colliding. There's something about it that just keeps capturing my imagination.

You do wonder what the Chinese were thinking behind the official soundbites.

Now we just need the whole BBC documentary to be made available sometime.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

I hope your father is still with us Chinglish Teacher. I too was in the stadium that night for many strange reasons with about 30 assorted Germans. The match was quite surreal and towards the end the home crowd started to whistle at the national team. Please your father what happened next as I have always struggled with this as no one will believe me.

best regards Shaun Crofton

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Keep digging. There is an awful lot more tot his story than meets the eye.

best regards

Shaun Crofton

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

There has been a steady flow of videos coming out of archives in recent years. I assume the full documentary will appear once someone at BBC or ITV gets to it.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

I remember watching this when it was originally on. I think they also took a referee - was it Jack Taylor - and someone being treated for a bad back with acupuncture. I think the quote went "the pain in my ear from the needle was so bad I forgot about the back pain".

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

I like the idea of Jack Taylor in pain.

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

Thought of this thread after it was revealed on Friday that the new owners of West Bromwich Albion will be Chinese.

Perhaps, like psjc and Chinglish Teacher's dad, Wang Jianlin (the reported new owner) was also in the stadium back in 1978,

Comment

West Brom In China -1978

psjc wrote: I hope your father is still with us Chinglish Teacher. I too was in the stadium that night for many strange reasons with about 30 assorted Germans. The match was quite surreal and towards the end the home crowd started to whistle at the national team. Please your father what happened next as I have always struggled with this as no one will believe me.

best regards Shaun Crofton
                                              Sorry to bump this thread up again...

but what are you referring to Shaun? if you ever come back to tell me. Now I am super intrigued.

My father only tells me the positives usually. I mean the man has nostalgia for a period where most of his neighbours were starving to death....he still swears by the fact that Beijing was the #1 team in Asia back then. But yes, he is certainly alive.

Comment

Working...
                                              X