Charlie Adam: cunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think Blackpool could have played it better and got more money for him in January, though. Then they would have had funds to spend on better players to help keep them up.

As it was, they just refused to sell him, point blank, so - IIRC - Liverpool gave up almost instantly, but simply waited until the Summer, when (again, IIRC) he was due to start contract negotiations with the by-then-relegated Blackpool. It was obvious he wanted away, so Liverpool were almost certain to get him. The fact they might have paid more for him than they needed to, by then, was mostly due to the spending frenzy that they went on, that Summer, I think.

Comment

Well, cunt or not, he was an excellent player for Blackpool and as such would have been considered a vital part of their survival in the PL. Selling him at Christmas was a sure sign that Blackpool were putting up the white flag and, good for them, they were not prepared to do that.

Comment

Also a) who the fuck were they going to sign b) the owners took nearly all the profit they made from being in the premiership as a special dividend so that's probably your answer there.

Comment

I think we can all agree that Charlie Adam IS that type of player.

Comment

I despise everything about Charlie Adam. Everything.

Comment

I don't remember him maiming people at Rangers. Mind you, I don't remember very much at all about his entire spell at Rangers, except that he was kept out of the team by Thomas Buffel most of the time.

He really has had a weird career.

Comment

I don't recall him being like that for Blackpool in their D2 promotion season either. In fact he was the most skilful, influential opposition player I saw all season.

Comment

It can be difficult to stand out for your thuggery when you're playing in midfield alongside the likes of Kevin Thomson and Lee McCulloch.

That said, I do agree - I don't think he was like that at all in his time in Scotland. If anything, I seem to recall that he was seen as a mercurial and talented - but all-too-inconsistent - ball-playing midfielder, who in fact didn't get stuck in enough when he needed to.

I wonder who or what is behind the transformation.

Comment

He was not that sort of player at all for either Rangers or Blackpool. The change came in his game when he moved to Liverpool and was obliged to adapt his game to offer a broader range of talents. When he stepped up a level he couldn't expect his teammates to do all his hard work for him as he had enjoyed at Bloomfield Road.

This necessitated a step up in his physique and his running and I think it's this he struggled with most. He's never been a natural athlete, certainly when compared with the players at the top end of the Premiership anyway, and to ramp this up markedly I think was hard for him.

So a lot of his bad fouls at Liverpool initially came through clumsiness rather than malice - his body not quite getting him to where he wanted to be on time. I think it has evolved somewhat since and I think he perhaps sees himself as someone who can be a good midfield enforcer as well as a playmaker. Perhaps he felt he needed that aggression to for into this Stoke team too, but it's certainly developed into a deliberate aspect of his game.

Aside from that he is a bloody good player though and Hughes seems to have given him a role that maximises his attacking abilities better than his predecessor did.

Comment

His dad died quite suddenly a little while ago, aged only 50 (about the age Charlie Jr looks). That's gotta be hard, although it's probably unfair to draw any conclusions towards his style of play.

Comment

The cunt's challenge that prompted this thread came in the latter part of his EPL season with Blackpool though, the change was already starting then it appears.

Comment

I was at Leek Town so the first update they gave at half time was on nearby Stoke's game. When it was announced they'd had two red cards I did say to myself "One will be Charlie Adam then".

The only surprise is that it wasn't for a lunge from behind on the calf of a younger, fitter, better player as they flew past him.

Comment

Hughes defence of him was pathetic. Even in real time you could see it was a deliberate stamp rather than trying to regain his balance.

Comment

Hughes doesn't mind his players being dirty though. He used to mix it in his playing days.

Comment

Working...
                              X