Dressed like an Australian's nightmare:11/12 kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I probably would, philistine that I am, though I am interested in this suspiciously foreign sounding scapulaire business.

Girondins I like, but that Brescia shirt on the other page is crackers. Not just the angle, but the thinness of the stripe. Similarly, the Airdrieonians look cuts no ice with me. I'd sooner go with the weird Nike things of late that manage to look stubby and wedgy at the same time.

Comment

Whilst things like this, where it isn't of a uniform thickness, absolutely boil my piss.

Comment

Here's Lille in their pomp:

and les Girondins from the same period:

Comment

Those to me are classics.

It is, however, possible to take the idea too far:

SC Fivois, one of the clubs that eventually merged to become Lille OSC.

Comment

Psychedelic!

I like the striped socks, though.

Comment

Here's an early, restrained, Manchester United iteration. With the black socks it looks pretty cool I think.

Scapulaire is an interesting word for the pattern. A scapulary is a monk's cowl — kind of like an academic hood — so I can see how it works. But most heraldic terms, like chevron, are medieval French anyway so I wonder why it wasn't retained?

Comment

Really don't know, but one guess is that in French chevron is generally used to connote an "upside down (or sideways) V".

Comment

Ah true. The one on shirts is technically a chevron reversé, sideways its chevron couché (either dexter or sinister.) I guess also scapulaire has a more direct association with clothing.

Comment

What would have clinched it for me was if the early scapulaire clubs had religious origins (like Auxerre, for instance), but that turns out not to be the case.

Comment

D is the best change kit
                      Away kit. It's the away kit.

because i) white is boring
                      White was evil just the other day, now it's only boring?

ii) it upsets you after all the pain you've inflicted on me and all right-thinking football kit obsessives.
                      Yeah, fair enough, can't argue with that really.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                        Really don't know, but one guess is that in French chevron is generally used to connote an "upside down (or sideways) V".
                        I never knew that, though to be fair the only other context in which I've seen the word used was in relation to this most famous pair :

Comment

TonTon, white is evil which makes your change kit the best of a bad lot. It's a shame though as C would have been really nice in just about any other colour (in fact that would make a great template for a Boro shirt if Adidas could stop dicking around with the chestband for a minute).

Comment

Well obviously it's a kit that you wear in away games when the colours clash, which is how it got its name, but most sides will always wear their traditional kit where possible. WFC rarely used a change kit at away games when it wasn't necessary..

Edit: I know the club has chosen to try and get an equal amount of wear out of the different kits - and it probably makes sense for commercial reasons too - but it does irk me seeing us run out at somewhere like Morecambe not wearing blue. FCUM manage to get by.

Comment

I am sorry if it pisses you off, TS. It was, indeed, initially a way of getting equalish wear out of kit when we had a fairly limited supply. I do like it that way, and it has stuck. But of course if it really is an issue, members can get it changed.

Comment

That's exactly why it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much for clubs of AFCW's means, but enrages me when Barcelona (for example) does it.

BTW, all that I got for my complaint on that score was an acknowledgement of receipt.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                  I know I am banging on about it but it gets worse from every angle;

It's like a Magic Eye picture.
                                  Reader, I bought one.

In the £10 end-of-season sale, granted.

My rule is NEVER to buy a replica shirt for myself but a chance to own the worst one ever made appealed to me simply as a historical record.

Comment

That's actually a pretty nice design. Nice solid collar, sleeves, and the two tone color pattern works well. Very unusual (you could say original), but hardly horrible.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                      Reader, I bought one.

In the £10 end-of-season sale, granted.

My rule is NEVER to buy a replica shirt for myself but a chance to own the worst one ever made appealed to me simply as a historical record.
                                      You are fucking joking. That had better not turn up as my Christmas present

Comment

very nice

Comment

maybe you like this too

Comment

Hang on, have we fallen down some kind of time wormhole?

Comment

Ray de Galles wrote: Hang on, have we fallen down some kind of time wormhole?
                                              https://[video=youtube_share;anwy2MP...?v=anwy2MPT5RE[/video]

Comment

Working...
                                              X