• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Grounds For Divorce’ By Mel Huckridge

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/?p=572

Sounds like a pile of shit;

... It could be described as ‘lowbrow’ by some journalists, but who wants ‘Fever Pitch’ by some Cambridge Graduate who used football as a crutch to make a living.

This is the real deal, from a true football fans perspective. The language used is the language of the terraces or in these days of all-seater stadiums, the language of the pub. It’s sexist and racist in equal measure, he doesn’t want to be accused of being discriminatory now does he ? It’s definitely a blokes book...

Comment

Fucking hell. Who ghosted it? Danny Dyer?

Comment

The language of what fucking pub?

Comment

The client base they are appealing for are unlikely to pick up a book.

Comment

I would have thought the author is an actual football fan who travels around the world watching football and isn't an internet trainspotter who just sits at home making snide comments.

Comment

I was the illiterate bloke what wrote this 'pile of shit'.(Grammar sic)
              Please read it yourself before deciding on any agenda I may or may not have.

Take me to the cleaners if you feel that I have no place in this increasingly pedantic world.

If it is shit, please let me know exactly why.

Thanks

Mel Huckridge

Comment

Good luck with your book, sir.

I have no prior criticism to make, other than where did you get the time and money to be able to undertake this feat? Apologies, no axe whatsoever.

(I suspect that the criticisms are unduly harsh because of the manner in which the book is reviewed... which is of course no fault of yours. Or indeed theirs'.)

Incidentally, welcome.

Comment

What's an internet train?

Comment

I'm looking forward to the follow-up where Mel spends a year shopping at Ikea and sitting on the sofa at home with his wife, discussing the ills of the world in one clever swipe at this increasingly pedantic world...

Comment

EIM wrote:
                      What's an internet train?
                      I've no idea but when your impassioned defence comes from someone whose user name is a pun on "eugenics" it doesn't help.

Comment

Stalingrad wrote:
                        I was the illiterate bloke what wrote this 'pile of shit'.(Grammar sic)
                        Please read it yourself before deciding on any agenda I may or may not have.

Take me to the cleaners if you feel that I have no place in this increasingly pedantic world.

If it is shit, please let me know exactly why.

Thanks

Mel Huckridge
                        Well, the question is, is it racist and sexist? Do we have tedious WW2 references in the German episodes? Only these are mentioned or implied in your mate's review. If so I've no intention of wasting time and money on it. That's not being pedantic, it's called thinking any culture that endorses racism, sexism and can't stop banging on about a 60-odd year-old victory over a nation that's wiped the floor with us ever since, boorish, sad and unworthy of endorsement. If not, then good luck maybe I will give it a whirl one day.

Maybe I'll have a look in the summer when I'm not spending my energy and cash trekking up and down the M5 on a 200-mile round-trip to watch L2 football, yougenics, you snide, cowardly, internet-anonymous wanker. Sorry, come to think of it, make that hypocritical, ignorant, smug, snide, cowardly internet-anonymous wanker.

Yeah, think that covers it.

Comment

What bugs me here is the review is being reviewed.
                          If my book is sexist and racist then I'll hold my hands up and even admit to shooting JFK.
                          German fussball is one of my loves, with Union Berlin being my second team if that is allowed.

Now the sales pitch, it is available on Ebay, or if you prefer 20th century methods, send me an email at melh64@hotmail.co.uk and I'll give details, the pile of shit doesn't appear until at least page 230.

Comment

Stalingrad wrote:
                            What bugs me here is the review is being reviewed.
                            If my book is sexist and racist then I'll hold my hands up and even admit to shooting JFK.
                            German fussball is one of my loves, with Union Berlin being my second team if that is allowed.

Now the sales pitch, it is available on Ebay, or if you prefer 20th century methods, send me an email at melh64@hotmail.co.uk and I'll give details, the pile of shit doesn't appear until at least page 230.
                            No, I'm not reviewing the review - if you want me to, it was shit, whatever the truth of the matter; I'd not let your mates write reviews for you.

What I'm asking is, given the review (which is all we have to go on) says the book is racist and sexist, is that actually the case?

JFK was shot by J Edgar Hoover, everyone knows that.

Comment

I feel a bit like J Edgar Hoover here(not wearing a dress) as I did not pull the trigger.

The review was by someone I know but was posted on another site and linked by someone completely different.

No, it isn't really Sexist or racist, except occasionally tongue in cheek.

Comment

Isn't the purpose of book reviews to give you an idea of whether you would like to buy a book or not?

Comment

Yes but, it was written for a lot of people who already know me or of me, hence a pinch of salt is required.
                                  I'd would rather say WSC review it.

Then I can defend myself all over again!

Comment

Why is this once noble message board now apparently just a fucking bring and buy stall for all and sundry.

Comment

I was sitting outside the social club at the Vale last Saturday supping a very pleasant pint of Deuchars and waiting for the start of the game, when I heard a bloke behind me talking about his book, which he'd brought a box of and was selling to anyone interested. The Wealdstone fans he was talking to were, unsurprisingly, keen on finding out whether or not there were any mentions of their club, and engaged him in quite a long conversation. I only heard a couple of bits of their chat, which seemed to be about decrying When Saturday Comes and their Yorkshire bias or something.

I meant to engage with this gentleman as to what he was talking about, but unfortunately got distracted by the lure of another pint, so I haven't a clue as to what he was talking about. The book, as you'll've worked out, was called ‘Grounds For Divorce’ By Mel Huckridge...

Comment

The book is not racist or sexist truth be told it was a private joke with the person who reviewed it on the site i work on and Mel.

As football fans we are all made up from differnt parts of a social backgrounds.
                                        I know Mel and have done for a few years and the book is him to a T like us all he loves the game and is telling the background to the games as we all have stories from all games.

It is far from a pile of shite it is sad that some have ther head so far up their own arse that they think that we are all the same and we should all be sheep like in our thoughts.

Read and and make you're own mind up and for the record i would not promote any thing that is racist or sexist.

What get's me is people who judge people without knowing the facts like me when i first came over here in the 80's and when people knew i was from east belfast and a Glentoran and Northern Ireland fan they first thoughts were i was a right wing prod nut job.

And the fact was at that time i was a member of the british communist party.
                                        Just saying.

Comment

You're not doing yourself, or the book, any favours here finney. If I was Mel H, I'd probably be thinking of getting a new set of 'mates', or telling the ones I had to shut the fuck up.

What's the purpose of a friendly review if not to promote something? And what do those of us who aren't in on your private jokes have to go on, before shelling out our hard-earned? Why the review, of course. Which says...

You see, it cuts both ways. So, 'for the record', if people turn up on OTF and judge people like me, without knowing us, assuming that because we don't like racism and sexism, we're 'internet trainspotters' who don't go to matches; 'pedantic', and 'sheep-like' with our heads up our arses, I'm probably going to say that they can fuck off back to the hole they crawled out off, before I stuff the book, where the sun doesn't shine. (Without bothering to read it first, because the people who do like it are clearly such total twats, I'm unlikely to have much in common with them.)

Just saying.

Comment

Please do not talk to me like i am idiot as i would not do that to you.
                                            I have not wrote a review for the book i was just trying to explain

I do not need someone to come on and treat me like a bin lid when all i am saying as is Mel read it and hammer by all means but read it first.

Is that ok?

Comment

OFFS

1. Finney: You posted a link to a book review
                                              2. The book review basically says that this book is racist, sexist and "laddish"
                                              3. A number of people pointed out (fairly reasonably) that the book therefore sounds shit.
                                              4. Some people (the writer of the book, and others who know him) piled on to say that those people were all pedants with their heads up their arses
                                              5. You get upset at all this, claiming that the book review itself was an in joke, and it's actually not racist and sexist.

This all strikes me as some kind of bizarre attempt at an internet viral marketing campaign gone spectacularly wrong. "Tell everyone that the book is shit, and then when they say it sounds shit tell them they shouldn't judge it without reading it themselves". It would be genius were it not utterly rubbish. I honestly hope that your apparently hoped for outcome (a review from WSC), doesn't come about purely because of the absolute lameness of this thread.

Comment

Jesus Christ i give up ok i wave the white flag and will now go sit on the naughty step.

Oh and can you please point out where i asked for a WSC review?

And will Cancel my subscription of WSC as i am not worthy to read such Magazines.

Comment

Cue post about "cliques", "Brains Trust" and " intellectually stunted metro-left sick puppy"

Look, I would thought it was clear. People don't read books and then decide whether they are worth buying. That would be a waste of money.

If they do not know the author, they read reviews and listen to other opinions and then decide whether to spend money on something.

If you know and like the guy, buy his book but don't whine when others don't get your little in-jokes that you choose to publicise on a forum

Comment

Working...
                                                  X