No announcement yet.

‘Grounds For Divorce’ By Mel Huckridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen "flannel" used on social media in a similar vein to "snowflake".

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
      "You dimmer switch" would clear that up
      Well, no, it wouldn't - being both dimmer and brighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate Leszno View Post
        I've heard (and used) the phrase "You fucking plant pot" to describe someone who is being a bit dim.
        I'll often finding myself calling the kids plant pots. Without the "fucking" I'd hasten to add.

Our 7 year old, cross with us for asking her to tidy her room recently, stung us with the insults, "Mummy, you're a saucepan and Daddy, you're a piece of Sellotape!" If this was Take a Break I reckon I'd earn a fiver for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
          There must be a grading system for inanimate household objects' relative intelligence. Microwave must score well, loo roll holder badly. A mop is clearly thick but a hoover sounds more intelligent. Where would that leave a light switch? It can be bright and dimmer.
          I read this earlier then shortly afterwards saw a post on Facebook in which someone was expressing hilarity at discovering a new term, 'microwave', apparently short for microwave meal and used on dating sites to describe someone who is ready in three minutes but looks nothing like the photo.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post

Am I the only one appalled at the spelling of Wahaca?
            When they visited Oaxaca on 'Race Across The World' the other week, I pronounced it correctly when the caption came up and my wife asked where I'd learned how to do so.

I had to admit that I had no idea having never visited there and not speaking a word of Spanish.

Now I realise it was from this bloody thread..
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 10-04-2020, 11:00.

Comment

I assumed it was an indigenous name (or, with the 'x', Basque rather than Spanish) but, upon checking, found this interesting which says something about the entertainment during lockdown.

The name of the state comes from the name of its capital city, Oaxaca. This name comes from the Nahuatl word "Huaxyacac",[14] which refers to a tree called a "guaje" (Leucaena leucocephala) found around the capital city. The name was originally applied to the Valley of Oaxaca by Nahuatl-speaking Aztecs and passed on to the Spanish during the conquest of the Oaxaca region. The modern state was created in 1824, and the state seal was designed by Alfredo Canseco Feraud and approved by the government of Eduardo Vasconcelos.[15]Nahuatl word "Huaxyacac" [waːʃ.ˈja.kak] was transliterated as "Oaxaca" using Medieval Spanish orthography, in which the x represented the voiceless postalveolar fricative ([ʃ], the equivalent of English sh in "shop"), making "Oaxaca" pronounced as [waˈʃaka]. However, during the sixteenth century the voiceless fricative sound evolved into a voiceless velar fricative ([x], like the ch in Scottish "loch"), and Oaxaca began to be pronounced [waˈxaka]. In present-day Spanish, Oaxaca is pronounced [waˈxaka] or [waˈhaka], the latter pronunciation used mostly in dialects of southern Mexico, the Caribbean, much of Central America, some places in South America, and the Canary Islands and western Andalusia in Spain where [x] has become a voiceless glottal fricative ([h]).[16]

The restaurant chain of course spells it "Wahaca" (which may have been what ursus was reacting to but I am buggered if I am searching through the whole of the thread to find the post he is referring to. I know it's Easter but I have some things to do). I fully expect the food to be the most disappointing of disappointing Mexican food.
              Last edited by Bored Of Education; 10-04-2020, 10:32.

Comment

We've discussed Wahaca restaurants on other threads and the general consensus was they were alright.

Comment

Juchitan, Oaxaca, has a third gender - the Muxes - with a clothing tradition supposedly handed down from the Zapotec

https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...-third-gender/

Comment

a great read (the thread not the book).

reminded me i took my first ever date to a Berni Inn.

Also used to work in a Schooner in Southampton. The resident band on Friday nights were The Swinging Blue Jeans.

My mate and me had to do the cooking one night as the chefs didn't turn up. No one complained.

Comment

By the way, this thread is still here...

Comment

I feel I've missed something.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                          By the way, this thread is still here...
                          Strange I was only thinking about this today. My favourite ever thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                            You said it was Thread of the Year in 2011!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                              It was thought to be missing on the Zoomathon thread. Which, ironically, I can't find...

Comment

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...58#post2422052

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

You said it was Thread of the Year in 2011!
                                  I said a lot of things in 2011.

Comment

Geez - $596.02 for a new copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Grounds-Divor...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Comment

$3 signed.

Comment

Had a bit of a shock there when I went back to the first couple of pages to remind myself of the early part of this thread and saw a few unsavoury comments in support of the bold Mel from "Guest" (presume meaning now deleted) accounts that had my Location/Favourite Team details underneath! Some glitch in the board I guess, and I presume everyone sees their own details under those accounts? I know I post some nonsense on here but I definitely wasn't responsible for those!

Comment

Yeah don't worry Jobi, that's the default setting on the board. We all discover it and feel horrified at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                            Had a bit of a shock there when I went back to the first couple of pages to remind myself of the early part of this thread and saw a few unsavoury comments in support of the bold Mel from "Guest" (presume meaning now deleted) accounts that had my Location/Favourite Team details underneath! Some glitch in the board I guess, and I presume everyone sees their own details under those accounts? I know I post some nonsense on here but I definitely wasn't responsible for those!
                                            You think that guest was bad? I first encountered that particular quirk of the board when my prefs were attached to R*d L*ddle.

Comment

Working...
                                            X