‘Grounds For Divorce’ By Mel Huckridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both the ethical standards of its upbringing, and the subsequent effect of said upbringing on its taste, I should think.

The Berni Inn was as sophisticated as it got in Lincoln in the 70s - that was an annual treat, after a game at Sincil Bank, usually if someone had a birthday on the day or thereabouts. When filling out my imaginary Shoot! questionnaire, I had no doubt that steak and chips constituted my favourite meal, and that prawn cocktail would be, if asked, my top starter. Don't remember having Black Forest Gateau, though. Either we were too cheap to hang around for pudding, or I had vanilla ice cream.

Re. the title 'Grounds For Divorce' - agreed, it works, but only if the author actually gets a divorce. But it sounds like Mrs Mel is highly tolerant of hubby's footie- and booze-fixated wanderings. Where's the narrative tension if Mel comes home and she says, "Good trip, luv? Nice to have you back, I'll put the kettle on. 3-1 to Hammarby, was it? My goodness."

Comment

imp wrote:
      Both the ethical standards of its upbringing, and the subsequent effect of said upbringing on its taste, I should think.
      The former, really; it tastes fine.

Comment

The one real constant through the decades (at least since the early eighties when I moved to London) has been Pizza Express though. I can honestly say I am as happy to go there now as I was thirty years ago or as my children are today.

Comment

imp wrote:

The Berni Inn was as sophisticated as it got in Lincoln in the 70s - that was an annual treat, after a game at Sincil Bank, usually if someone had a birthday on the day or thereabouts. When filling out my imaginary Shoot! questionnaire, I had no doubt that steak and chips constituted my favourite meal, and that prawn cocktail would be, if asked, my top starter. Don't remember having Black Forest Gateau, though. Either we were too cheap to hang around for pudding, or I had vanilla ice cream.

Re. the title 'Grounds For Divorce' - agreed, it works, but only if the author actually gets a divorce. But it sounds like Mrs Mel is highly tolerant of hubby's footie- and booze-fixated wanderings. Where's the narrative tension if Mel comes home and she says, "Good trip, luv? Nice to have you back, I'll put the kettle on. 3-1 to Hammarby, was it? My goodness."
          Pretty sexist of you Imp, trotting out the old stereotypes. Maybe Mrs Mel has a well paid job of her own, which allows Mel to subsidise his lifestyle.

Comment

Quick question (and I'm sorry to derail this thread): Surf and Turf: Australian invention or other? You know, kind of in the way that ploughmans lunches were popularised by a brewery or whatever during the 1960s?

There's still a Wimpey in Worthing, which excites me no end, by the way.

Comment

There's one at a service station that I went to about two years ago (christ knows where, maybe somewhere between the Midlands and Doncaster).

It was the only burger fast food I've eaten in about six years.

Comment

imp wrote:
                "Good trip, luv? Nice to have you back, I'll put the kettle on. 3-1 to Hammarby, was it? My goodness."
                That must have been a long time ago...

Comment

Pretty sexist of you Imp, trotting out the old stereotypes. Maybe Mrs Mel has a well paid job of her own, which allows Mel to subsidise his lifestyle.
                  Certainly works for me.

imp wrote:

The former, really;
                  Not as bad as KFC, it appears. Not that that is much of a claim
                  the only other plus that comes up a lot is health. The chicken in Nando's is deemed by its fans to be better for you than anything from your standard fast food restaurant. But is it? It's not battery-farmed, but it's not free-range either. The suppliers that Nando's use – Faccenda and Sun Valley for everyday chicken, halal from Freemans of Newent and Highbury Poultry – comply with the voluntary, industry-led assured chicken protection standards. Nando's also gets some extra chicken breasts from suppliers that meet similar standards in Holland and Germany. Essentially, the chickens are reared in well-littered and ventilated houses and have constant access to water and food that isn't spiked with growth promoters.

Nando's say that their chicken is in constant review and they are actively looking at alternative methods of production, including RSPCA Freedom Foods. The problem is price: the amount of chicken Nando's needs and the price it charges (Ł9.10 for half a chicken with two regular sides) means that, for the moment, organic just isn't an option.

Comment

The one real constant through the decades (at least since the early eighties when I moved to London) has been Pizza Express though. I can honestly say I am as happy to go there now as I was thirty years ago or as my children are today.
                    Very true. The very fact that most are usually put sympathetically into existing buildings and they all look different from each other helps as well.

The pizzas take the Italian rather than the American Italian model as well

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                      The very fact that those Frankie and Benny's are exclusively in retail parks on the edge of motorways says a lot
                      One of Swansea's F&B's is located at the bottom of the main drinking drag right next to where the first aid tents are erected on Black Friday (celebrated annual piss-up).

I think, as far as these wankly-named eateries go, F&B's is fine. There's usually a decent buzz in the place; it's got a bit more panache than the soulless TGIs, it has a much wider menu than Nando's. And the food isn't as shite as in Chiquito.

Which probably isn't an appraisal I expect to see on their website any time soon.

Comment

Do Wagamama (PDF) and Wahaca (PDF) count as 'fast food'? I'm happy to eat at either of those (particularly the latter) any day.

Comment

David Agnew wrote:
                          There's one at a service station that I went to about two years ago (christ knows where, maybe somewhere between the Midlands and Doncaster).

It was the only burger fast food I've eaten in about six years.
                          There's one in the services on the M6 toll road.

Comment

Crusoe wrote:
                            Do Wagamama (PDF) and Wahaca (PDF) count as 'fast food'? I'm happy to eat at either of those (particularly the latter) any day.
                            I love Wagamamas. The food is great and the service friendly. If I have one complaint it's that they bring the dishes out in haphazard fashion. The last time I went, me and the partner were served promptly but our daughter had to wait another ten minutes for her meal, by which time she was getting a bit bored and fractious. All restaurants should know that you serve the kids first.

Comment

ChrisJ wrote:
                              wanky middle-class internet-warrior food
                              I wonder if this is what I eat.

Comment

I'm rather fortunate to have El Vergel downstairs in my building.
                                It's very nice.

Comment

I'm delighted there's not been a single word of praise on here for Pizza Hut. The day that joyless chain and its grotty, lukewarm offerings go down the deep pan will be far happier for me than the day that Thatcher croaks.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                    Very true. The very fact that most are usually put sympathetically into existing buildings and they all look different from each other helps as well.
                                    That's a deliberate part of their business strategy, they look for good, interesting buildings, in areas that have "arrived". You know you've been gentrified when you've got a Pizza Express. (I know coz I did some work for them. Done everything, me.)

Comment

Regarding Wagamama, they've changed the recipe for their Chili Chicken Ramen, the bastards.

Comment

I can honestly say that if I want to go to an interesting building to eat pizza and I fancy having other diners' conversations drown out even my own thoughts then I always suggest Pizza Express.

Comment

Are you having a pop at my children there, HORN?!

Comment

Heh. Not just yours, no.

I daresay it has more to do with my advancing years and the brutal acoustics I have encountered in every single Pizza Express I've visited, regardless of size or shape.

Comment

MsD wrote:
                                              (Done everything, me.)
                                              There's your next 'personal text' sorted.

Comment

HORN wrote:
                                                Heh. Not just yours, no.

I daresay it has more to do with my advancing years and the brutal acoustics I have encountered in every single Pizza Express I've visited, regardless of size or shape.
                                                Oh, not "just" mine? Cheers!

It's peculiar if their acoustics are all bad given that the some of their restaurants are jazz venues. Perhaps that's the problem, the acoustics are too good.

I went to Kettners in London for a friends' birthday meal when it was basically an upmarket Pizza Express meets champagne bar , very peculiar.

Comment

The pizzas aren't that bad either, and the one I regularly visit does very nice coffee.

Comment

Am I the only one appalled at the spelling of Wahaca?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X