The Blizzard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Blizzard

Look forward to reading that. Well done Sam.

Comment

The Blizzard

Thanks, AE. As I said on Twitter, Horacio provided most of the words. I just transcribed them, translated them and sent them off. The rest of the interview is pretty much equally interesting (which is just as well, considering it runs to 6,000 words).

He is an unspeakably lovely man, incidentally. That has nothing to do with anything, but it was the overwhelming feeling I came away from the interview with.

Comment

The Blizzard

Aye good on you Sam, I enjoyed that.

Comment

The Blizzard

Thanks, BEAK. Glad you enjoyed it. Can't wait for my contributor's copy to arrive.

Comment

The Blizzard

I assume others have seen this as well, but just in case: The Blizzard is starting a book series as well. The first two books have been announced.

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/shop/blizzard-books/

Comment

The Blizzard

Uh oh, just reading that PEC Zwolle are featuring in the next edition. Should I be worried about accusations of hipsterism now?

Comment

The Blizzard

Surely that isn't a new experience for you.

Comment

The Blizzard

Honestly,

all your club does is sell pulled pies and beer using yeast grown on Lars Veldwijk's beard and next thing...

It's not on ursus.

Comment

I'm just finishing issue 29 now. There is a really great piece in this issue from James Young about (a) the ways football writers cover the WC and (B) how Brazilians do/don't follow their national team. Much more literary than the bulk of the pieces in this issue.

Comment

There is a new magazine started by The Blizzard crew. Here is a link followed by the description. I haven't had a chance to read this issue yet, since I'm actually trying to finish an older issue of The Blizzard before starting something else. This issue is about Right Backs.

https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/news/f...uall-out-may-1

The idea of The Squall is to help out freelance writers during the Covid-19 crisis. For it to survive and thrive, we are asking readers to pay what they can and we suggest a minimum donation of £3. You can pay into The Squall's bank account (sort code 40-05-17 and account number 71515942) or via PayPal at paypal.me/thesquall. Thank you in advance for helping out.

The first issue of The Squall is out now and is on the subject of right-backs!

There are 12 different pieces in our first issue, including: Brazilian right-backs, from Djalma Santos to Dani Alves, the development of the position over the last few decades, a David Squires cartoon, and Lucy Bronze's emergence as the best right-back in women's football.

Comment

I never came around to post about issue 2 of The Squall (theme was Battles), but it was good. They just released issue 3 (Sliding Doors) that focuses on a variety of "what if" scenarios that would have changed the fortunes of a team or players, coaches, etc. had something different happened. It's not really floating my boat but for folks who want some fantastical football-related writing that blends fiction and non-fiction, this will be up your alley. And it's a good project to support:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_tG...ature=emb_logo

Comment

I don't if anyone here is listening to the Greatest Games podcast via the Blizzard. I tend to binge, then take a break, binge, take a break. But the 5 July release for Sampdoria-Barcelona Champions League final with Tim Vickery is spectacular. He's such a great storyteller, and having him and Jonathan Wilson talking tactics/historical framing of the game is a real treat. Definitely worth your time.

Comment

I enjoy the episodes of the older games.

Comment

Is anyone on here still a subscriber? It dawned on me at the weekend that it's probably the only publication whose coverage of the Bury story I didn't see, if indeed they covered it. If they did, would a kind soul be able to send me screengrabs from a digital edition (or photos from a physical edition)? Thanks.

Comment

I am, but don't recall them recall them running a piece. I can take a look to ascertain if I missed one.

Comment

They were too busy doing a 16,000 word article on the history of the throw in in the inter War Bolivian league.

Comment

Quite

Comment

An electronic search of the archive doesn't turn anything up

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        An electronic search of the archive doesn't turn anything up
                                        Ha. Thanks for looking.

Comment

Plonking this question here as it's semi-related. I've been driving myaelf bonkers trying to recall the name of a webzine which had "Maradona" somewhere in the title. It had longish articles on football all over the world, though I seem to remember that a few years ago it just seemed to stop. Ring any bells?

Comment

In Bed With Maradona, I think. Dalliance, a former board member, used to write for it

Comment

That's the one, cheers. Uneven quality but some good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                That's the one, cheers. Uneven quality but some good stuff.
                                                They did a best of book that came about 5+ years ago. http://www.ockleybooks.co.uk/

Comment

Their weekly email (called The Flurry) from last Friday lists a code for 30% off the new issue and other things in their store. If you had been thinking about picking up any back issues, maybe the code works for those as well: BZFATHER​.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X