X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ravel Morrison

What a nice young man

Ravel Morrison

"Even so, there is a genuine concern at United that he has fallen in with the wrong crowd..."

Jesus, that old chestnut.

He is the wrong crowd.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

If he does play for Man United he really will have fallen in with the wrong crowd - i.e. the crowd at Old Trafford that have come to watch Man United!

Hmm, needs work.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

it would seem that tony is closer to the truth. he must be an extraordinary player to still be at the club

Comment

Ravel Morrison

I am amazed he did not get a custodial sentence for that, it's up with the Steven Gerrard DJ battering sentencing travesty.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

He's a nob alright, and that's been known for a while. But I think the club standing by him is possibly the right thing to do. Not that Manchester United are doing it out of any moral standpoint. As TAB says, a lesser player would have been bombed out of the club long ago.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

That guy should be in prison - funny the notion of the wrong crowd isn't it?

"Drug addicts would explain their decision to resort to drugs by saying that ‘I fell in with the wrong crowd,’ as if gravity had taken hold of him and he were powerless in the whole transaction."

Comment

Ravel Morrison

I think that they hope that by not going to jail, he will become a professional footballer, rather than a repeat offender. From the snippets I've seen of him, he looks like an extraordinary player. Shame he's such a head case.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

Given the bad behaviour of many players in England, if he does 'make it' I expect rather more criminal activity from this young thug.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

come on, this is just not the sort of thing that footballlers get involved in. Battering some lad sure, rape allegations, drug taking maybe, Speeding offences. Threatening witnesses is more in the realms of gangsters rather than being a dickhead on a night out.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

I did not specify what type of crime. However his thug has just had it signalled to him by both the court and his club that he doesn't have to be responsible for his actions nor suffer the consequences. In all liklihood a future Barton thug and or football rapist type in the making.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

football rapist type?

Comment

Ravel Morrison

think that they hope that by not going to jail, he will become a professional footballer, rather than a repeat offender. From the snippets I've seen of him, he looks like an extraordinary player. Shame he's such a head case.
                          I wonder if he was a shelf stacker in Tesco whether they might hope he would become a model stacker and not a repeat offender.

I doubt it.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

EIM wrote:
                            But I think the club standing by him is possibly the right thing to do.
                            I know you've gone on to qualify why Man Utd are doing this. But why do you reckon it's possibly the right thing to do?

Comment

Ravel Morrison

Because it leaves open the possibility that he takes his chance, mends his ways and goes on to become a really good footballer?

Comment

Ravel Morrison

Doubtless EIM would be taking the same line if this were some little scrote about to burst through into Liverpool's first team. Tony C is right.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

he must be an extraordinary player to still be at the club
                                  He is.

Not condoning what he did, mind...

Comment

Ravel Morrison

Analogue Bubblebath II wrote:
                                    Doubtless EIM would be taking the same line if this were some little scrote about to burst through into Liverpool's first team. Tony C is right.
                                    Well, yeah, I would. Morrison is what, 18? I think a football club has a responsibility that a more conventional employer doesn't. If they sack him, there's only one way this lad will go, but by sticking by him there's an opportunity that he matures in to a decent human being.

I don't advocate sticking by him as he commits endless crimes, starts running molasses out of Havana, setting up speak easies and what have you. But I see no problem in trying to coax the fucker on to the right path.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

dogbeak wrote:
                                      football rapist type?
                                      And yeah, I'm shoulder to shoulder with dogbeak on this one. What the fuck is this about?

Comment

Ravel Morrison

I think the reaction here is a little over the top. Teenagers (and Morrison was 17 when this happened) threaten other teenagers when they are witnesses against their mates all the time, it's not uncommon if you're in circles where your peer group is involved in street crime. Or if you're Boris Johnson, of course.

It doesn't paint Morrison in a flattering light, of course, and I've no doubt he is a twat. But it's (rightly) unusual for young offenders to be given custodial sentences for their first offence, particularly when it's not a violent one. I don't think his footballer status came into it - his co-accused got the same sentence.

And EIM is completely correct, if someone looks like they are going off the rails, then the best thing for them is that they have an incentive not too, and there isn't much more of one than a career with Manchester United.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

Bloody hell, there is some serious hang-em-high daily-mailing on this thread.

Surely you need not be a social worker to agree that it's better to try and rehabilitate a young lad than it is to leave him to his own devices.

And to suggest that EIM's common-sense is shaded by his affinity for Manchester United is a cheap shot, AB2.

Comment

Ravel Morrison

There is a detail that I can't find. He signed onto United's academy in 2009 but I wonder whether he was training with the club before that. I often worry that kids who start training with big clubs from an early age (and I am talking about 9 or 10 sometimes) as their motivation for education goes totally out the window and, when they are dumped by the clubs, they are left with nothing. Not that this is necessarily the case here.

This lad has the looks of Leon Jeanne about him

Comment

Ravel Morrison

There is nothing "Daily Mail-ish" about actually wanting people to be held accountable for serious criminal activity (I'm a Guardian reader actually).

Witness intimidation is a very serious issue which is threatens the very core of our criminal justice system - it is not something to be taken lightly like a teenager shop-lifting a small item from a shop as a dare or whatever.

Moreover it is disadvantaged people that are much more likely to be the victims of crime in the UK. There is nothing "progressive" about allowing a witness to be intimidated and, in effect letting the thug walk away unpunished.

What might be next on the agenda- intimidation of a future roasting/rape victim? Who that be a trivial matter too?

Comment

Ravel Morrison

Know what I mean

Comment

Ravel Morrison

Of course witness intimidation is a serious crime, and the guideline case for non-violent intimidation with no previous record would be R vs Chinery would suggest a 3 month custodial sentence. Taking into consideration that Morrison was a juvenile, a referral order seems about right.

It seems sensible to wait for it to actually happen before judging him for intimidating witnesses in rape cases.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X