X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    OTF clubs you dislike more because of OTF

We're all ashamed and angry about sections of our own team's support at times though, aren't we?

Especially those sections who so enjoy appearing in the media as either part of a mob or as self appointed fans spokespeople.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied

Not much of an answer? Bloody hell.

Anyway, my "Plastic Scouser" certificate appears to have been taken away and shredded after I had to turn off Sky Sports News last night. Watching some knuckledraggers burning a Torres shirt just filled me with......I'm not sure what. Pity? Not the best word to use around LFC, I wouldn't think. Anger? Pointless, directionless anger? Dunno. Shame on their behalf? Possibly. Fuck's sake.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied

On a tour of Anfield in the summer the guide said that the bootroom was scrapped by Souness. I asked him why Souness would do such a think, he then said it was a matter of space for the press conferences. The Liverpool way seems to conflict with the modern way perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• ian.64
    replied

Are you sure that wasn't wingco? Because he's usually so spot on with his send up of "that sort" that I can't be sure he's not actually from Croxteth.

No, It was the relatively recent bout of protestful chaos engendered by the Hicks and Gillet circus where the voices of justifiable unrest brought forward an element of demanding, never-ending, self-serving idiocy, especially those whose solution to the debts created by two men, who were initially welcomed due to the soon-evaporating belief that they'd maintain the status quo (ie, give the manager vast quantities of money to piss away without the slightest concern of financial consequence), was to shamelessly plead for the Man City Solution: get a sheihk to wipe away the debt tomorrow and then give the manager a permanently endless supply of cash to buy players with - all seemingly with no conditions attached or without any guarantee of reward in return.

This ceaseless carnival of demand and 'gimme' was heard incessantly on phone-ins and could be found on newspaper website message-boards, the worst candidates raging in CAPITAL LETTERS to let everyone know THAT THEY WERE ABOVE THE LIKES OF MERE MORTALS LIKE YOU and that they WERE THE GREATEST CLUB IN THE UNIVERSE who needed someone with obscene amounts of cash to put them BACK WHERE THEY BELONG and so ascend above the mere chattel who supported other supposed less important clubs.

Or there was the Spirit of Shankly spokesman who turned up on 5Live, demanding that someone write Liverpool FC a blank cheque so that they could 'win trophies, lots and lots of trophies, 'cos Liverpool is all about winning trophies', the interviewer, I suppose, never getting around to ask him whether he'd like someone to some in and just give his club an unspectacular yet respectable platform of financial stability so that it could grow and strengthen steadily with a safeguard against any future debt-creating hucksterism. Nope. 'We need money, lots of money to win trophies, etc.'

Then there's the question of this never-ending self-mythology, 'The Liverpool Way', and this was recently demonstrated by the sacking of Roy Hodgson. I concede that there's a hell of a lot of trees remaining unpulled in his wake, but beneath his removal there came judgement in some quarters that he wasn't a 'Liverpool' manager and that he wasn't performing his tasks in the 'Liverpool Way'. This mantra, that there's a way of doing things at one club that's so exclusive and unique that no other club can do it, hamstrings any incumbent who fails to meet with the stratospherically insane standards that some supporters have drawn up for them. It chews up manager after manager and spits them out one after the other. And if Kenny Dalglish falls victim to this, then who is it next who needs to do things 'the Liverpool Way'? Does he exist?

Gathered together, all these voice coalesce into one loud, monotonous whole that suggests that Wingco didn't exercise his scabrously-comic talents but simply stood nearby and wrote it down verbatim.

That sort.

Perhaps I'm being unfair because this belief that some of a top club's following occupy another world far removed from those inhabited by us lesser mortals is shared by others. For example, should Manchester United hit a barren spell of games next time that slows down a title challenge, how long is it before the moronic worms come not crawling out of the woodwork but lunging with torpedo velocity to say that Alex Ferguson - a man who's given them long and unprecedented periods of great achievement - should be replaced? And how much sympathy should be given some Arsenal fans who always sound as if they're touting for it when they bemoan that they haven't won anything 'for five years'? (To which the reply should be 'tough shit'. There seems to be this stunningly paranoid belief amongst supporters of top clubs that their trophy room must be regularly stocked year after year, lest they undergo this hugely-misconceived, dumbly-inflated sense of catastrophic failure - "Ooh, if we don't win the FA Cup, our bums will fall off and we'll have to sleep in cardboard boxes! Help us, someone!" - ignoring the fact that being a big club in the rudest health is far more than some clubs can ever wish for and that winning trophies is not obligational or even that important. You can be great even if you don't win anything for a decade. Grow some, for god sake.)

I, of course, cannot really gauge the utter, true depth of feeling in Liverpool's fans, as, with every following of any club, there lies a mosaic of opinion and emotion that's hard to isolate and simply sum up, but Liverpool has proved to be one of those clubs where, at flashpoints of urgency and even crisis, the belligerent and the plain bloody annoying will come to the forefront and make themselves heard, drowning out more reasonable voices.

There. Not much of an answer, I suppose, but some kind of answer.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied

"In round terms, the image of the Irish as a genetically Celtic people - in fact the whole idea of a Celtic ethnicity and of Celtic peoples, Irish, Welsh and all the rest of it - is a load of complete cock and bull. The average Irish person probably has more English genes than Celtic."

well if you define english as being a mixture of the same series of waves of invaders then yeah sure.

in the 1930's harvard did a big anthropological study and a big part of it was phrenology, measuring head widths, hair colour, nose lengths.

Anyway, it turned out that in the days before easy travel, You could see marked differences in appearance and hair colour in bands as you moved from east to west, with the most recent arrivals near the east coast, and the original settlers squished up against the west coast of the country.

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied

Calvert W. McCutcheon wrote:
    G.Man wrote:
    I don't know what better things those quiet dissidents have to do than getting rid of those useless leeches.
    Indeed.
    I took this as veiled reference to the R.C.C

Leave a comment:

• Er Liquidatore
    replied

One. Although since I left town they've had to stick a load of cardboard cutouts in the stand, and pipe in the requisite amount of booing through the PA.

Leave a comment:

• The Bean Counter
    replied

As far as hating teams goes, I think like most people on here, I have a much better understanding of the supporters of other clubs, which unfortunately often makes it difficult to hate them. I know, for example, that there are plenty of sensible, intelligent people who like football but are genuinely happy to see Liverpool, or England, do well. Which sometimes makes me feel a little bad about gloating in their own misfortune...
    Not too many Chelsea fans on OTF, are there? Proves they don't have any real fans...

Leave a comment:

• The Bean Counter
    replied

Besides given the state that Ireland is in, and the useless greedy feckers running our country, who on a per capita basis have probably stolen/embezzled/pissed away at least as much as the Royal Family do, it possibly doesn't become us to berate others for their system of governance.

Leave a comment:

• Calvert
    replied

G.Man wrote:
    I don't know what better things those quiet dissidents have to do than getting rid of those useless leeches.
    Indeed.
    I took this as veiled reference to the R.C.C

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied

No wonder you Germans are famous for comedy.
    I'd love to say that German humour is undrrated, but that would a lie. German satire on the other hand is rather excellent.

Leave a comment:

• RobM
    replied

G.Man wrote:
    This thread is one of the most horrible ever on OTF. An opportunity to tell people "I don't like you" through the medium of hating football clubs? And even then, so vaguely and indirectly, because names are not mentioned.

For example, when GO says he dislikes Man Utd more now than before he joined OTF, is that because of EIM? Berbaslug? My good self? Or is it because the arguments against the club have been so well stated as to effect a diminuation of affection?

I think Harry Truscott said that this was supposed to be a spoof thread. It should have been treated as one from the start. It's a nasty thread.
    I wouldn't take it too seriously G.Man, for all Berbaslug's take on the Scots/Welsh etc. issue can grate a little I don't actively dislike the guy (if anything he avoids banalities and keeps it interesting) and I can laugh along with it sometimes.

I don't really need much of an excuse to regard Man. U. with disdain, there's a lot not to like about them. Think they [probably like it that way though, I mean a likeable club isn't one that regularly stomps the opposition now is it?

Don't think I've found anbody here yet I feel I'd actively dislike and that's pretty unusual for a forum of this size.

Leave a comment:

• Wyatt Earp
    replied

G.Man wrote:
    Newcastle to an extent but that might just be the work of one (ex-)poster, and again they're pretty loathsome in the first place.
    I think Wyatt Earp is still posting here, but under a different name.
    Oh har har har, yes very amusing. No wonder you Germans are famous for comedy.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied

Are you sure that wasn't wingco? Because he's usually so spot on with his send up of "that sort" that I can't be sure he's not actually from Croxteth.

Leave a comment:

• ian.64
    replied

I must add that it didn't need OTF to foster this dislike.

Leave a comment:

• ian.64
    replied

Liverpool.

The history and prestige of a club, verging on the glorious, is one in which to have the most deepest pride and the right to feel good about. What sullies this pride is the element of whiny, melodramatic pricks who feel that such a past gives them the entitlement to scream 'miserae' to all four corners of the earth when the bad times come around, demand that success - and the bottomless riches that should fuel this return to better days - makes its presence felt immediately, and that they would fuel this bumpkin self-mythology that some Newcastle fans were quite adept at doing; where Newcastle had the 'ethos' and the 'religion', Liverpool now have 'The Liverpool Way' and 'The King'.

And the almost continual need for Liverpool FC to be centre-stage on the footballing landscape long after some of us get bored of this 'me-me-me' gubbins. Kenny Dalglish farts, Radio 5 are on the case.

Not all Liverpool fans, I stress, but some. Like the arsehole who went onto a football comment thread today and declared that what his club was going through was a 'tragedy', thus betraying a sense of perspective that only over-enthusiasm or lack of common sense had fostered.

Lord save us from that sort.

Leave a comment:

• AMMS
    replied

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote:
    but what does my superior understanding of geopolitical niceties, and the stockholm syndrome of the nordies/scots and the welsh, have to do with manchester united?
    'Stockholm syndrome', I laughed out loud reading that, very funny, well done.

But Berbaslugs right, who'd want to live in a country where an unelected, out-of-touch, ceremony obsessed group of people with horrendous views on many subjects that affect everyone but themselves could wield so much power and influence.

G.Man, c'mon, the 'better things to do' are keeping the marching tide of reactionary Roman Catholicism at bay. You know how it is.

Anyway, for the record, I've only developed more, well maybe not liking but certainly tolerance of, certain other teams since coming on here. I can't think of one I like less.

Leave a comment:

• kugelrund
    replied

"In round terms, the image of the Irish as a genetically Celtic people - in fact the whole idea of a Celtic ethnicity and of Celtic peoples, Irish, Welsh and all the rest of it - is a load of complete cock and bull. The average Irish person probably has more English genes than Celtic."

Summary

Original article

Leave a comment:

• G-Man
    replied

This thread is one of the most horrible ever on OTF. An opportunity to tell people "I don't like you" through the medium of hating football clubs? And even then, so vaguely and indirectly, because names are not mentioned.

For example, when GO says he dislikes Man Utd more now than before he joined OTF, is that because of EIM? Berbaslug? My good self? Or is it because the arguments against the club have been so well stated as to effect a diminuation of affection?

I think Harry Truscott said that this was supposed to be a spoof thread. It should have been treated as one from the start. It's a nasty thread.

plenty of English people don't like the royal family any more than you do. Plenty of Scottish and Welsh people too. Just, you know, they have better things to do than harp on about it all the time like a scratched record.
    Actually, I think opinion polls have recorded support for the royal system. I don't know what better things those quiet dissidents have to do than getting rid of those useless leeches. I'd regard abolition of the monarchy as a priority, more important than all these good "better things" one could do (presumably by that you mean eating out, playing PS3 and catching up on tweets; not picketing the Burmese embassy).

Leave a comment:

• The Bean Counter
    replied

Should perhaps point out that I'm not English...

My Dad is English though. Born in London, and here's a fact that will come as a shock to you: plenty of English people don't like the royal family any more than you do. Plenty of Scottish and Welsh people too. Just, you know, they have better things to do than harp on about it all the time like a scratched record.

Leave a comment:

• dalliance
    replied

a family of scottish cunts in wigs
    So thats what The Krankies did before they went into showbusiness.

Leave a comment:

replied

I wanna be loved by you
    just you and nobody else but you
    I wanna be loved by you - alone.
    Boo boo bee doo

Leave a comment:

replied

English people are beyond help. They just want to be ruled by someone stupid, unpleasant and with a deep disdain for the english. and it's better if they're foreign. you'll let any old fuckers rule you. The angles, the saxons, danes, norwegians, french vikings, a family of scottish cunts in wigs, a tolerant dutch homosexual who became a big hit with the religious fundamentalists, and a bunch of minor german royals. who changed their name when they had to declare war on their first cousin.

You'll have any old fucker as long as it's not yourselves, because the only time you tried that, you chose a brutal insane religious maniac who managed to invent fascist dictatorship, and modern genocide all at once.

I'm not sure what is in it for the scots and welsh though, I mean they claim not to be english, but they just can't resist being ruled by posh inbred english cunts. And it's not as though the english would burn down swansea or edinburgh, or machine gun football crowds, or systematically destroy their industrial infrastructure. Getting independence would be easier now than when we did it surely?

I also don't know what my inability to comprehend the pathetic excuses advanced by the welsh and the scots for not having become independent republics has to do with manchester united though.

Leave a comment:

• The Bean Counter
    replied

I thought 'Celtic' used to always be pronounced with a soft c, until some people in academia decided they wanted to be superior to everyone else, so started using a hard c instead (think that was on The Knowledge in The Guardian a while back).

I'm also looking forward to Berbaslug explaining why Scots and Welsh should be ashamed of their alleged deep love of being subjects, while apparently it's ok for English people to do same.

Leave a comment:

• dalliance
    replied

Me too, to the extent if they played Baby Doc Duvalier in an exhibition match I would be on the touchline singing King Creole.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X