Best Named Scottish Footballer Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was more than tickled to read in this week's WSC Howl! newsletter that in 1960 Workington Town had a Scottish player called Archie McHard. There's just no way he wasn't small and ginger with a penchant for calling out anyone perceived to be staring at his pint. The wonder is that Tiger or Scorcher didn't have a long-running cult strip about him. Or Viz, even.

I'm not sure if he lived up to his name, but Hayes teams of the late 1960s regularly featured Mick McNutt.

Comment

Didn't an erstwhile OTFer once have a comic strip on his blog, occasionally posted on here, that was loosely based on "Hot-Shot Hamish" and had a few scottish cliches that even Frankie Boyle might have baulked at using in his act?

Comment

It gets better - according to this site, Archie had a team-mate at Clyde in the 1950s called Harry Haddock.

Comment

I still prefer the name Zander Diamond.

Comment

Actually, Haddock's no great catch for this thread - he has his own wikipedia page and played for Scotland, as well as over 500 appearances for Clyde, so he's probably well known to most on here.

Comment

No great catch. Heh.

I can remember in an early edition of The Absolute Game they made reference to a player from the past named McLuggage. His first name eludes me.

Comment

Bow down before the master:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crawford_Baptie

Comment

Erstwhile?

Comment

Once?

Comment

Campbell Money

Comment

I don't think Jermaine McSporran is actually Scottish. Still, great name.

Comment

If we're including foreigners at SPL clubs, Danny Invincible's a classic.

Comment

I have to give it to former Seattle Sounder Jocky Scott. However, I'm guessing the "Jocky" is a nickname.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                              Didn't an erstwhile OTFer once have a comic strip on his blog, occasionally posted on here, that was loosely based on "Hot-Shot Hamish" and had a few scottish cliches that even Frankie Boyle might have baulked at using in his act?
                              You can only be referring to Dotmund's Shit Shot Mungo, which appears on twohundredpercent.

Comment

Jason Scotland?

Comment

I went to School with a Wayne Scotland who I thought for a while was Jason's older brother (he had a brother called Jason).

Wayne is famous in the hood for allegedly Kidknapping a rival drug dealer taking him to a cemetary with his brother Shane buggering him and then shooting him in the head before running off to Jamaica.

Comment

Did a google search and saw this.

http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/cms/144_13876.htm

Wayne was a year younger than me and Shane two years.
                                    David Bonner was a year older and Wayne and Bonner both went to my shcool and both were bad eggs.

Bonner was probably the hardest kid i have ever met even more so than this man who i also went to school with previously.
                                    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/britains-most-feared-yardie-leader-jailed-651807.html

Comment

1998 was a vintage year for my ex-school mates committing murder, here is another one shopped by his ex-girlfriend 10 years later.
                                      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5503062.ece
                                      I remember him actually threatening to stab my at school on my 16th birthday, a threat I took very seriously indeed.

Comment

irishreddevil wrote:
                                        If we're including foreigners at SPL clubs, Danny Invincible's a classic.
                                        Except he's actually called Invincibile. Go tell that to commenters across the country though.

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote:
                                          I have to give it to former Seattle Sounder Jocky Scott. However, I'm guessing the "Jocky" is a nickname.
                                          Another Scotland cap, as well as a manager of certain note.

In case it needs telling, Jocky is a familiar form of Jock, which in turn comes from John.

Comment

Cal Alamein wrote:
                                            It's funny but I've never given Jocky Scott's name a second thought before. Jocky is simply John and still quite popular here albeit a little less fashionable of late.

Comment

Tactical Genius wrote:
                                              1998 was a vintage year for my ex-school mates committing murder, here is another one shopped by his ex-girlfriend 10 years later.
                                              http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article5503062.ece
                                              I remember him actually threatening to stab my at school on my 16th birthday, a threat I took very seriously indeed.
                                              Was your school a borstal or something?

Comment

Hahahah.

The main difference is that we were allowed to go home at 3.30

He wasn't so hard at school.
                                                Couldn't fight so resorted to using weapons, he became very proficient at using a flick-knife.

I should say that I did punch him before he pulled a knife on me.

He was fairly popular as his dad sold weed and he used to bring some of his stash to school and pass onto the kids.

He wasn't a patch on some of the convicted Rapists.

Comment

Football Manager tells me there's a Scottish player somewhere in the Conference (well he was when my version came out anyway - I've got FM 2010) called Emmanuel Panther. My best mate Nick has seen him play, so he does actually exist. That, surely, will take some beating.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X