No announcement yet.

2022: Nasty case of Qatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just noting again that the actual charges in this indictment don't even concern the Qatari bribes or any of the ExCo members named.

Comment

Not too sure if this is the right thread, but can't find any other relevant one. Australia and New Zealand have beaten off Columbia and will co-host the 2023 Women's World Cup, despite Uefa's best attempt as they voted for Columbia. After Brazil and Japan both dropped out, Australia & NZ looked favourites having topped FIFA's Technical Report Audit with a score of 4.1 out of 5, compared to Columbia's 2.8. Uefa's stance that the Women's World Cup should go to a more developing nation may come back to bite England on the bum when they go looking for votes for the Men's 2030 World Cup.

As I live in Perth, which has been chosen as one of the host venues, I'm excited about all this as it's not every day the World Cup comes to your doorstep. I must admit I wasn't overly hopeful when the idea this idea was first muted as it brought back horrible memories of the failed 2022 Men's bid that only received 1 vote.

Comment

Bloody hell!:

World Cup 2022: Four games a day to be played in group stage in Qatar

Comment

There are some days when they play 4 games in a day in previous tournaments though so it's not a massive change

Comment

There is usually one day in every tournament (normally in the second weekend, I know because I always make a point of watching them all and it's often on Father's Day!) but having four matches every day of the group stages is a pretty radical step up.

Comment

Makes it harder for those of us with fixed/semi-flexible work schedules to see every game live.

Comment

My first thought was this must be the first drawn out World Cup competition with extra sides, like when Euro 2016 added a load more teams. Turns out, it’s the last 32 team competition.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbo McGinnis View Post
                  My first thought was this must be the first drawn out World Cup competition with extra sides, like when Euro 2016 added a load more teams. Turns out, it’s the last 32 team competition.
                  They'll almost certainly follow a similar pattern in 2026, as the plan for the 48-team world cup involves sixteen 3-team groups. You'd need to play those final sixteen group games over 4 days to keep the later stages on any kind of sensible schedule.

Comment

The last 32 in 2026 would also be over 4 days I'd have thought. You'd get down to the last 4 in 24 days by having 4 rounds of four four-game days and then two round-of-16 games per day then one QF per day.

It will presumably mean that BBC and ITV need more commentators unless they are going to make each of them work 16 days consecutively.
                    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 15-07-2020, 18:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                      The last 32 in 2026 would also be over 4 days I'd have thought. You'd get down to the last 4 in 24 days by having 4 rounds of four four-game days and then two round-of-16 games per day then one QF per day.

It will presumably mean that BBC and ITV need more commentators unless they are going to make each of them work 16 days consecutively.
                      As the last 32 and 16 games are likely to be spread from Montreal to Mexico City that could be quite the logistical challenge for Mr Matterface.

Comment

Reworked CONCACAF qualifiers - top 5 get a golden ticket to the final round, while 6-35 go through six groups of five, and play-offs.

Comment

The teams in the 6 groups of 5 will only get to play two home and two away games, so there's very little margin for error. Will be interesting to see if the seeds go through but I would hope Panama go out after their shameful display in 2018.

14 rounds of games in 9 months will be a tough haul, including a January double round.

Comment

As this seems to be the general FIFA corruption thread as much as it is about the 2022 WC, I thought I'd put this here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53598206

Comment

After Kuwaiti mediation, Saudi Arabia has normalised relations with Qatar, so the Arab world should have no further issues with the tournament.

Comment

What are people's feelings now about the tournament? Clearly, despite wishful thinking by the likes of myself, it's going to happen. Now, all of a sudden, it's next year. I recall that upthread there were a lot of voices saying they'd boycott watching it. Is that still the case? Or will we start making excuses for ourselves the closer it gets? "Well, it's November, and there's nothing else on and it's cold outside, so of course I'm going to watch the footy. It's what the dead migrant workers would have wanted."

Comment

It will be like having a guilty wank, except that we'll post here afterwards about our shame at being unable to resist the urge to watch the Ecuador v Qatar opening match despite being aware of the exploitation that produced the product.

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                                    What are people's feelings now about the tournament? Clearly, despite wishful thinking by the likes of myself, it's going to happen. Now, all of a sudden, it's next year. I recall that upthread there were a lot of voices saying they'd boycott watching it. Is that still the case? Or will we start making excuses for ourselves the closer it gets? "Well, it's November, and there's nothing else on and it's cold outside, so of course I'm going to watch the footy. It's what the dead migrant workers would have wanted."
                                    I'll not be watching it, obvs. I don't really understand why people would. will. But there you go. I don't get stuff.

Comment

Six and a half thousand workers have died since Qatar won the right to host the 2022 World Cup, with most of them dying on construction projects for the WC.

Am I the only one who thinks we - the fans - should boycott the WC in Qatar?

Guardian analysis indicates shocking figure likely to be an underestimate, as preparations for 2022 tournament continue

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post
                                        Six and a half thousand workers have died since Qatar won the right to host the 2022 World Cup, with most of them dying on construction projects for the WC.

Am I the only one who thinks we - the fans - should boycott the WC in Qatar?
                                        For other reasons too:

"Thomas points out that the problem seeps from the top down and he cites the decision to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups in Russia and Qatar. “You just think: ‘What are you trying to promote? Do you understand what diversity is?’ There are so many organisations constantly popping up on the telly saying they’re trying to do something and then you hear that somebody else has suffered racial or homophobic abuse. We’ll all kick up a fuss for a couple of days but nothing will ever be done. Six months later the same thing happens again."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ot-in-football

Comment

I mentioned on one of the -thons that Signora Rogin and I went to Qatar, about this time last year. All around the port they were constructing new hotel apartments, that are apparently to be used for fans going out for the tournament. I did think about taking some photos of the guys in their hard hats and hi-viz doing the work, but there were signs up on fences saying "photography strictly prohibited" and even on board the crew were saying "don't try, if spotted we are advised you may be apprehended by a site manager and your phone confiscated and we will not be able to help you".

Comment

I hope I have the strength of will to boycott this. That death toll is disgusting (any death for a football tournament is shameful but 6500 is beyond criminal). Watching this tournament is colluding in mass manslaughter.

Comment

It's been interesting to see the rumblings of protest in Norway this month, with some clubs suggesting to the FA that they might want to consider boycotting the tournament in the event of qualification, and then the national team players wearing t-shirts in support of human rights this week.

It'll be intriguing to see how that plays out nationally there, given that Kongsberg, a company I believe is 50% owned by the Norwegian state, has billions of dollars of contracts to supply military kit and other bits and bobs to Qatar. Can't imagine those invested in that relationship will be overly thrilled with such protests.

Comment

Nor is the Norwegian Football Association who fear they will lose substantial amounts of FIFA money if Norway decide to boycott. The question appeared rather surprisingly as Troms?, one of the clubs in the Premier League suggested it and received the backing the backing of more than half the clubs in the league. It was not discussed at the NFA's AGM last week, but it set to be the main topic in an extraordinary general assembly to be held in June or in September.

Judging from the discussion on my club Valerenga's forum, there is an overwhelming support for a boycott among supporters. When the inevitable committee is formed to write a report on the matter for the NFA, I hope (and expect) that the supporter movement will be represented. If both the clubs and supporters are in favour of a boycott, there is at least a possibility of its happening.

The players in the national teams are also at least concerned enough to wear protest t-shirts before the game against Gibraltar this week.

To the extent industry has been consulted, they are of course opposed to a boycott, believing that other yet unexplored avenues are better to raise concern about worker's rights in general, and human rights in general. Don't hold your breath on that one.

Kongsberg is one of the worst exporters in Norway, but they have to my knowledge never been involved with football in Norway.

Mind you, Norway will most likely "boycott" by not qualifying in the first place.
                                                Last edited by Belhaven; 26-03-2021, 11:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                                  I hope I have the strength of will to boycott this.
                                                  I did not watch a single game from the Russia world cup. It is easier than you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                                                    Nor is the Norwegian Football Association who fear they will lose substantial amounts of FIFA money if Norway decide to boycott. The question appeared rather surprisingly as Troms?, one of the clubs in the Premier League suggested it and received the backing the backing of more than half the clubs in the league. It was not discussed at the NFA's AGM last week, but it set to be the main topic in an extraordinary AGM to be held in June or in September.

Judging from the discussion on my club Valerenga's forum, there is an overwhelming support for a boycott among supporters. When the inevitable committee is formed to write a report on the matter for the NFA, I hope (and expect) that the supporter movement will be represented. If both the clubs and supporters are in favour of a boycott, there is at least a possibility of its happening.

The players in the national teams are also at least concerned enough to wear protest t-shirts before the game against Gibraltar this week.

To the extent industry has been consulted, they are of course opposed to a boycott, believing that other yet unexplored avenues are better to raise concern about worker's rights in general, and human rights in general. Don't hold your breath on that one.

Kongsberg is one of the worst exporters in Norway, but they have to my knowledge never been involved with football in Norway.

Mind you, Norway will most likely "boycott" by not qualifying in the first place.
                                                    If we're worried about human rights won't we soon be boycotting ourselves?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X