Pre-Sky football: Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'The experience (pre-Sky football) was disgusting, you went to revolting stadiums, ate horrible pies, drank disgusting beer and had a fight.' - Piers Morgan
    So, folks of OTF, whaddya say?

(other than what Wyatt Earp said on a recent thread)

Does he wear a powdered wig and walk around with a scented hankerchief over his nose all day?

Comment

Yeah, but you could get in to The Old Showground for 60p as late as 1980. And I always took my own Mars Bar, so food was never an issue. Never had a fight, though if a cunt like Piers Morgan had stood behind me complaining, I'd have been tempted. But I'll bet you the price of a Golden Goal ticket that he never went to a game and is talking out of his farthole.

Comment

The experience post-Sky is pretty similar. Except for the fight bit.

Comment

Who is it that Morgan claims to support now? Arsenal?

Comment

Yeah. He's responsible for the worst bit of journalism I've ever read when he interviewed Thierry Henry for GQ (I think). The second half of the article was concerned with whether or not Morgan thought Henry was better at sex, or football.

Comment

The stadiums were revolting. Half of them were deathtraps. Now they're shit because we can't stand.

The pies and the beer were disgusting then, and now. If people buy them, why the need to improve them?

But football back then was affordable and fun.

Comment

The assumption that violence was endemic in the 70s and 80s is bollocks. Who goes to football grounds to eat and drink anyway? One big difference is how totally unfashionable being a fan was in those days. The likes of Morgan would have only mentioned football in a sneering article about rugby union or the opera - better than writing pro-Murdoch revisionist rubbish though.

Comment

Pre sky; I got into the Kop for £4, Wales nearly qualified nearly all the time (I was there when we beat Spain), Bangor played at Wembley and I liked professional footballers. My my hasn't footy changed.

Comment

Morgan wasn't even interested in football, the celeb-hack poshboy cockfarmer.

Still, fair play on the Daily Mirror politicisation stuff (once you'd got bollocked over the Euro '96 stuff), and even more fair play for getting it on with Marina Hyde - you really outdid yourself there.

Comment

you couldnt even get a beer at SJP unless you were a season ticket holder...

which I only found out by borrowing a mates ticket ...which afforded me the luxury of a can of Greenalls ....

which wasnt really any kind of luxury at all...

Comment

mind you 20 years on and you cant get a beer in the away end at Anfield...

Comment

Pre-Sky, cunts like Piers Morgan wouldn't have gone near a Premiership ground. Or any football ground. And there'd have been no bloody loss either, we'd have won the last three World Cups with players with names like Alfie Grimlife, who wouldn't have been seen dead in golden boots but who would have been prepared to stick said boots up the arses of more talented foreign johnnies, as Nobby Stiles was able to do in 1966.

For that reason alone, his argument collapses like a house of cards.

Am I allowed to call Piers Morgan a cunt on the new-fangled board? It is an acronym, btw, it stands for "Contributor (of) Unread Newspaper Twaddle".

Comment

This reminds me of something I saw in the Brighton programme the other week. An interview with our new forward, Jonny Dixon, in which it said he had a "traditional footballer's name".

Since this point I've been gradually increasing my obsession with finding as many players in the English leagues with "good old-fashioned English footballers' names" as I can. If they're not from the British Isles, of course, it's a particular bonus.

I suspect I may spend this Saturday reading squad lists on wikipedia until my eyes fall out.

Comment

Oh, and, post-Sky football is rubbish, because you run an increased risk of bumping into bumwipes like Piers Morgan at the games.

Comment

I'm pretty sure he does not understand ultra culture...

Comment

Dotmund, there's a Bangor player called Les Davies

Comment

The only time I can recall being able to get a beer in the pre-sky age was at Maine Road where I got slightly drunk on freezing cold grunhalle (umlauts notwithstanding) and it was like a nectar from the gods. Beer in football grounds was an unheard of luxury.

And I really enjoyed climbing on the fences like a loon at any ground where we got a rare away win.

Piers Morgan is a twat

Comment

Yeah I think it was beyond the mid-90s when I first had a beer inside a football stadium.

It's really insidious this stuff though, this narrative that football in the 80s was all about non-stop punch-ups and people pissing in your pockets all the time. The key thing is that while it wasn't remotely like that, it was still shit. Because of the facilities, the football, the low gates, the policing and the media demonisation.

And the depressing thing is that all of those things have improved immeasurably in the past 20 years but they've simply been replaced by new Shit Things, many of which were already being foreseen back in the Bad Old Days.

Comment

It's really insidious this stuff though, this narrative that football in the 80s was all about non-stop punch-ups and people pissing in your pockets all the time. The key thing is that while it wasn't remotely like that, it was still shit.
                                        Course, you can't generalise. I used to absolutely adore the Elm Park experience (crowds of like 5,000), when Reading were yo-yoing between the old third and fourth divs. You could only sit down on one side, and you got wet at the ends (...), and the burgers were very iffy, and the toilets more so, but the warm familiarity of the place, the sense of belonging, the favourite-old-slipper feel of it all are all absent from the ultra-clean&safe Mad Stad (crowds of 24,000 ).

Comment

dotmund wrote:
                                          Since this point I've been gradually increasing my obsession with finding as many players in the English leagues with "good old-fashioned English footballers' names" as I can. If they're not from the British Isles, of course, it's a particular bonus.
                                          In amongst the Jordans, Owens, Reggies and Jais, Ipswich have a Billy Clarke, Tommy Miller, and a New Zealand born centre-half by the name of Tommy Smith.

Elsewhere you've got Tommy Black (Southend), Billy Jones (Preston and Crewe), Tommy Williams (Peterborough) and Tommy Wright (Darlington) and from overseas: Eddie Johnson (Fulham)

Players with old-fashioned sounding first names from non English-speaking countries playing in England include the French Bert playing for Walsall, and the French Jimmy Ipswich had on loan last season, but their surnames (Bossu and Juan respectively) let them down. See also the Swedish Freddie.

Comment

Brazil have Fred, Cris, and, errr, there's another but I forget.

Comment

French Jimmy Ipswich
                                              I like. May I use it in my film script?

Comment

Eddie Johnson is an excellent one for an overseas bonus! I think that Bobby Hassell of Barnsley also has a lot of light on him.

Comment

David Wheater looks, sounds and plays like something from the 19th Century.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X