Interim friendly report: England v USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was the darkest moment of my life seeing the Times Square ticker say that.

Special thanks to the refs for helping us to save face by not allowing our helmets or shoulder pads, but I wish they wouldn't have allowed Michael Bradley on the pitch as well.

Comment

"The sort of people who were as incapable of pronouncing the letter “t” as they were of comprehending the chortlesome quips of “Big Hearted” Arthur Askey...

That's funny, the past year I've been teaching English as a Second Language to mostly Latino workers. I always discuss proper English, England English, and New Jersey/New York English. So I teach the proper version, and then how they'll probably hear it.

What are you doing ? - Proper
      Whudayadoin? - NY/NJ

Where are you going ? - Proper
      Whereyagoin ? - NY/NJ

What do you got ? - Proper
      Whadayagot ? - NY/NJ

Why do you got to do that ?
      whydayagoddadothat ?

Comment

Pan Tau wrote:
        Why stupid? I agree that 9/11 must be treated with respect, but it's not so sacred that everybody must speak about in hushed tones or righteous anger.

Besides, the joke is not on 9/11, the joke is on John Terry. And there is nothing brave or stupid in laughing at that fucker.
        Yeah, I know. My comment was to do with how some people (no-one on this board obviously) would interpret that joke totally the wrong way. It doesn't mean I didn't find it funny, and it doesn't mean that I think those people would be right to take offence... hence 'Very good'.

Comment

Ah, OK. I didn't think you were outraged or anything.

Comment

hilarious.

Have you named this character? Can I suggest John Harkes?

Comment

I know everyone always says this, but it might actually be the best yet.

Comment

What do you got ? - Proper

Comment

Yeah, yeah, rogin, it's street language, and American slang. I'm not teaching the Oxford Dictionary, I'm teaching how to function in a manufacturing job.

Usually "what do you have" is used with "for me ?" Or a further distinction is given for what you have. "What do you have in your hand," "what did you have for lunch," etc.

However, when it's vague, or whatever your partner has is too vast a number, it's "whaddayagot ?"

Comment

I'd presume the "proper" - although the likes of Wyatt and Tubby will leap like predators onto the use of "got" in any context - is "What have you got?", and it's the "What have you" that's been shortened to "Waddya"?

Comment

Excellent. My favourite passage was:

it was the job of the referee and his assistants to go around to each American player and confiscate from them any helmets, padding, or bats they might have imported onto the field of play in their burgerbrained imbecility, as well as to explain to them that the game would not cease every two minutes to provide for ten minute breaks for advertisements for dog shampoo
                      By the way, who was the 'negress'? Anyone famous? (I didn't watch the match.)

Comment

What Have You = Whudavya

What Do You = Whadaya

Comment

Working...
                        X