Croatian football query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Croatian football query

I'm off to Dubrovnik for a week on Thursday and wouldn't mind catching a game over there if possible.

Apparently the local side are GOSK Dubrovnik but, despite intensive googling, I can't find a fixture list for this season. I'm pretty sure the Croatian season begins late july so there could be something available.

If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd be grateful, whether it be for GSOK or any team accesible from Dubrovnik. Thanks.

Croatian football query

The No.1 local sport over there is water polo. The Dubrovnik side were even European champions at some point.

Football is of minor interest to the locals. I went to see the second-bottom GOSK play the bottom-of-the-table Uskok Klis in D-2 South 5 years ago in the penultimate game of the season. Dumpy little Gradski Stadion Lapad. Just walked in for free. About ~300 people there IIRC. Won 5-1. Still went down in the play-offs.

I recall that at the time there was some wrangling going on over the ownership of the club.

Looking at http://www.rsssf.com/tablesk/kroa2010.html#2hnl
    There now seem to be GOSK and 1919 in Dubrovnik. And GOSK are in Level 3. Level 2 is no longer regionalised.

Map:
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&gl=uk&hl=en&g=5+Kosigina+st.,+ Moscow,+Moscow+Oblast,+Russia&q=Gradski+stadion+La pad&ie=UTF8&hq=Gradski+stadion+Lapad&hnear=Gradski +stadion+Lapad,+Croatia&ll=42.647281,18.094954&spn =0.019508,0.044889&t=h&z=15
    A fair way from the old town.

Can't remember how I found when they were playing. Must've been the local paper.

Comment

Croatian football query

I must have missed this while I was away.

Tony, you really should take the boat to Split for the day and go see Hadjuk.

The ride is beautiful, Split itself is definitely worth seeing, the stadium is an architectural marvel and Dubrovnik is about as far from a football town as you can get in Central Europe.

Comment

Croatian football query

Ressurecting this, we are booked into Ciovo - an island just off of Split - from 28th July - 6th August. I know that the Croatian season will have started by then and that they play on Sundays but wanted to check just in case Hadjuk are away - there is at least one more team in Split in the Croatian top division, isn't there?

Comment

Croatian football query

There's RNK, though they don't share Hadjuk's rather picturesque ground.

Wiki entry.

Comment

Croatian football query

Originally called Anarch and played in anarchist black, known as the workers club. They are tailor made for ageing punks like Bored.

Have you booked the holiday then?

Comment

Croatian football query

Yes, only this afternoon but, you know me, first thing is look for a match.

Comment

Croatian football query

I love Split, and Hajduk. Here’s a tiny potted history I pulled together for last season’s Dundalk-Hajduk Europa League tie. Robbed we were, robbed!

HNK Hajduk Split were founded in 1911. The name Hajduk is taken from the Balkan folklore character, a romanticised freedom-fighter resisting the Ottoman invaders. The name was reportedly chosen to represent “that which is best in our people: bravery, humanity, friendship, love of freedom, defiance to powers, and protection of the weak.” So the correct club name is Hajduk (pronounced roughly hayduck), not Hadjuk (had-yook) as often misspelled and misused in English. From the beginning Hajduk were a Croatian nationalist club, incorporating the Croatia coat of arms in their crest and registering as Hrvatski nogometni klub (Croatian football club) Hajduk Split. During World War II the club truly earned the title Hajduk. When Yugoslavia was carved up and Split assimilated into Italy, Hajduk declined an invite to join Serie A. Later when Croatia became a fascist German puppet state Hajduk refused to join the league, remaining the team of the Yugoslav resistance. After the war they were invited to move to Belgrade and become the official army club but again they declined, staying in Split. From the 20s to the 80s Hajduk were among the strongest clubs in Yugoslavia and since 1991 they have been among the leaders in Croatia.

Comment

Working...
                X