So, Gothenburg then..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Gothenburg then..

If I can pull some financial magic out of the hat and get myself sorted, I should be moving to this most enticing of cities come the Autumn (touch wood and fingers crossed and making sure I step on all the even numbered grids..)

Obviously I'll need a team to support, and am loathe to pick IFK - football is suffering served with a faint glimmer of hope after all, I don't know how fans of successful teams cope. So who aren't utter bastards? GAIS? Orgryte? Is there a reason I should choose IFK over these two?

I'm counting on OTF to find me a club that don't cost the earth to go and see, don't murder refugee children and cute puppies for kicks, and don't play in red and white stripes.

Or you know, just a nice easy to digest primer would be nice.

So, Gothenburg then..

I'm pretty sure GAIS are the otf-approved team round there, but there is also häcken and Ljungskile sk close by. Ljungskile are the smallest team ever to play in the top flight.

When in the autumn will you be going? The season finishes in october/november time.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Although, for all your Newcastle related shitly managed ridiculousness, helsingborg would be an excellent choice too.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Bombanero wrote:
        Although, for all your Newcastle related shitly managed ridiculousness, helsingborg would be an excellent choice too.
        If - God forbid - I was to cheat on my missus, it wouldn't be with someone identical to her - similarly, I'm looking for the thrill of the exotic (although I appreciate the Allsvenskan may not be the place to find it..)

I think Ljungskile may have jumped into first place in my priorities thanks to Wikipedia listing Giuliano Maiorana as having played for them at some point.

Also, if I go it'll be for (at least) two years, so I'm going to be in for the slightly long haul.. are tickets cheap, perchance?

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

GAIS is probably the safe option, although IFK Göteborg is certainly no guarantee for success any longer either. The league title last season was their first since 1997.

So far this year, it seems to be a struggle between Kalmar and Elfsborg for the title.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

I would rule out Häcken and Ljungskile for their suburbannness and almost non-existing support. Also, I doubt they will maintain top league status. In terms of crowds and facilities, It will lbe like following an average English non-league club.

IFK, Örgryte and GAIS share the same stadium ("old" Ullevi being rebuilt as we speak), so you don't have to choose there. At the moment while building works are going on they are playing at "new" Ullevi, a 45,000 capacity statium which which looks very desolate with a 5,000 crowd.

I really haven't much against IFK, but everybody hates them for their success over the years, and for their financial ability to poach just about every half-decent player that appears in Sweden. All that has changed though, their last major signing from a Swedish club was in the mid-nineties, and these days the players leave for the Danish second division instead. I'm not sure that's progress.

ÖIS are traditionally upperclass, Örgryte being one of the poshest areas in the City. Don't know how that applies these days, but they are alwasy a bit profile-less, not to mention that they are a bit down the in the League pyramid at the moment. Having said that, Marcus Allbäck is returning after the Euros so they are probably favourites to go up.

Following GAIS seems like fun. They'll never challenge for big titles, but their fans are very loyal. Bomb may have a point about Helsingborg being Newcastle-like, but GAIS wouldn't be far behind. They even probably last won the League the same year, in the late 1920s or so.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Oh, and tickets would be SEK150 (standing) to SEK 300, a bit more for derbies (which have traditionally been played in the bigger stadium).

I paid SEK 3.200 for my season ticket at Hammarby (15 matches) this year.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

The old board's Allsvenskan thread

A ganja thread on GAIS.

Dogbeak, you need to start getting into ice hockey.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Ooh, isn't that old site quick. And easy to read. And less cluttered. And with a better way to read when things were posted. And...

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Yup (sniff).

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

It's a great city and you'll enjoy living there - much better in Summer though.

I'll give another vote for GAIS as their fans were the best, oh and the legendary Roland Nilsson is their coach.

I used to watch all the local clubs when I was there (2001-03). At the time Örgryte were the most entertaining - (a much thinner) Afonso Alves was their star player. They have since fallen on harder times and now play at a venue called Valhalla - I'm sure I've seen a GAIS friendly match there, but it looks as if it's been developed as it was a couple of grass banks and a clubhouse back then. Another local club, Qviding, play there, although they have 'one man and his dog' support.

Go and watch them all and make your own mind up.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Roland's at MFF these days.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Well thanks for an interesting heads up anyway - I think my best bet will be to just absolutely whore it up (in a footballing sense), and appreciate the joy of soulless dead-eyed trysts with clubs I won't have to call after the play-offs. All the while I'll be watching those Mackerels from the corner of the room, mind.

(Was it Harry Pearson who wrote about ground-hoppers being the exciting polygamists in a world where strict monogamy - in the face of misery - is considered a badge of honour?)

I can't make any promises about ice hockey, I've seen it before and it was so fast to just look like visual noise to me. Can't they make the puck five or six times bigger? The most excitement I've had at an ice hockey arena was seeing one of my dad's colleague instinctively stick his hand out to catch an errant puck, smashing his hand into bony pulp.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Ganja and Stefan can correct me here, but my impression is that hockey in Sweden is not as big as football these days. Fewer fans go to games, and it's stronger in small towns than big cities, reversing the situation in Finland. But a basic understanding of what's going on in the league is necessary to participate in many conversations, so ursus is right anyway.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

BaN, that may be the trend, but Frolunda (from Goteborg) still averaged close to 12,000 a game for the regular season.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

True, but they're the only side in the area. the averages of all the teams in superettan and allsvenskan in the area is 24,645 so far this year (I can't find stats for last year broken up by team).

Häcken must have some serious financial backing, I thought they were a much bigger club because they offered Janne Saarinen a fat wad of cash to move from Honka.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Jesus, I've done a 'Sheffield is a massive footballing city' post without realising it.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

It isn't really a fair comparison, though, is it?

To start with the most obvious difference, the Scandinavium only holds a bit more than 12,000 for hockey. I just thought that dogbeak should know that the city is he going to has one of the best-drawing hockey clubs in Europe.

And dogbeak, I eventually say this on every hockey thread, but if you go to even one live professional game, it will help you see the puck on television.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

True again. They have Tomi Kallio too.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

I saw, uhh, Manchester Storm a few times if that counts.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

To tell you the truth, it doesn't.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Häcken make shitloads of money from Gothia Cup, Bombanero.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

Aah, I see.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

OngelukkigOranjeVoetbal... Did you frequent the old board under another name?

Beer's on me if you make it to my city. Don't worry about which club, I'll sort it out for you. If you want to have a good time, the greatest, most laid back, funny fans will always be the GAIS fans.

Ljungskile is not even in Gothenburg. It's a bit off.

Comment

So, Gothenburg then..

I posted there (and here) as dogbeak or variations thereof - my current name is for the Euros only.

And yeah, if I make it there will hopefully be beer, football and good times. I like the cut of your jib!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X