Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's always a joy for me to find a player who was a former top flight fixture still active in Div. 3 or 4.

I'm sure it happens pretty rarely nowadays but it's especially gratifying when someone from the genuinely bright & shiny mid to late Nineties Premiership turns up in the latter part of 'The Football League Show'.

Gary Breen at Barnet and Ian Pearce for Lincoln have been two of my recent finds, the thrill being that much more intense because both were former stalwarts of my Fantasy League side. Though I don't think anything will beat Paul Warhurst's coda to his career at Wrexham and Barnet again.

Any others knocking around?
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-08-2023, 20:32.

Not really what you are asking for, but yesterday was the 11th anniversary of Robbie Fowler's "line sniffing" goal celebration.

Comment

It was in Division 5, but I shared the BBC chap's surprise that Des Lyttle scored Tamworth's equaliser against Luton on Saturday.

A few of the stalwarts from Ipswich's last Premiership fling are still knocking around for minor lower-league clubs. Marcus Stewart is still a regular for Exeter, Jamie Clapham is at Notts County and Richard Naylor is at Leeds.

Comment

Des Lyttle got a mention in this thread from last season. He's still a bloody legend, even though he moves at the same pace as a tectonic plate.

Comment

St Johnstone fans advise me that two of their better players this season have been Michael Duberry and Jody Morris.

Comment

Ursus, please tell me you have a diary the size of jupiter and a legion of elves scribbling every minute footballing detail in every date, and that this is how you come by such pieces of knowledge.
            If it's not true, please don't tell me. I like the mental image.

Des Lyttle stood out for me too. I checked his soccerbase entry and it indicates he wasn’t playing senior football until this season with Tamworth.

Ian Harte at Carlisle is another (ish)

Comment

For a thread like this one always has to check up on former world's most expensive player Denilson, who last I checked was playing in Vietnam (top division). He's now in Greece playing for Kavala FC.

I could probably get used to Kavala.

Comment

Ah, what a career Denilson has had:

1994–1998 São Paulo 110 (58)
                1998–2005 Betis 186 (33)
                2000–2001 → Flamengo (loan) 011 0(3)
                2005–2006 Bordeaux 031 0(3)
                2006–2007 Al-Nasr 016 0(7)
                2007 FC Dallas 011 0(2)
                2008–2009 Palmeiras 031 0(5)
                2009 Itumbiara 000 0(0)
                2009 Xi Măng Hải Phòng 001 0(1)
                2010– AO Kavala 000 0(0)

Comment

Michael Duberry is at St Johnstone? When did that happen?

Comment

I was unaware of this until just now, but Kavala appear to have become the elephants graveyard of choice within the EU.

According to their Wiki, their current squad also includes Craig Moore, Željko Kalac, Ebi Smolarek, Diogo Rincón, Sotiris Leontiou, Serge Dié, Wilson Oruma and Frédéric Mendy, all coached by Aad de Mos!

Die's Wiki is worth reading on its own.

Comment

To be fair to Harry, Ian Pearce did retire from professional football two years back, and dropped into non-league with Kingstonian, only to resurface at Lincoln when his mate Chris Sutton was appointed manager.

Paul Furlong's still playing at the age of 41 - he's now at Barnet.

Comment

Des Lyttle stood out for me too. I checked his soccerbase entry and it indicates he wasn’t playing senior football until this season with Tamworth.
                        Soccerbase probably doesn't recognise Conference North as senior football, where Des has plied his trade with Tamworth for the two previous seasons and Worcester City for a couple of seasons before that. They probably choose to ignore the existence of it, in the same way Sky do with football before 1992.

Comment

Oh, I think Furlong wins this. He's ten weeks older than me, for pity's sake!

Does Barnet's position as London's club operating at the lowest level in the League make them some kind of magnet for players prolonging their career?

Comment

Jimmy Greaves ended up at Barnet didn't he?

Comment

Comment

Frank Sinclair at Wrexham. Now a sprightly 38
                                He was at Lincoln and Wycombe last season

Comment

According to their Wiki, their current squad also includes Craig Moore, Željko Kalac, Ebi Smolarek, Diogo Rincón, Sotiris Leontiou, Serge Dié, Wilson Oruma and Frédéric Mendy, all coached by Aad de Mos!
                                  It seems that Aad de Mos has left within the last fortnight, and has subsequently been appointed coach of Sparta Rotterdam.

Comment

Paul Dickov is at Leeds, though I don't know how much playing time he's getting.

Chris Powell has appeared for us this year, he will be 41 in September. He was a regular last season, played well too.

Kevin Poole, 46, has appeared a couple of times for Burton this season, and according to Wiki has made 117 appearances for them in the last four years.

Comment

Quite a parabola there for Kalac, from Perugia to Milan to Kavala. (Although Perugia were in A when he joined.)

The other keeper at Kavala is Charles Itandje, the Liverpool outcast.

Comment

Bloody hell, Poole is approaching 47 which I saw Peter Shilton turn out for Orient at.

It always seems a little sad and tawdry when players are toiling away in Scotland or non-league but there's a certain nobility about being in the lower leagues when approaching or past 40 even when I'm sure it's the same gambling debts and maintenance payments that are the root of it.

Comment

Kavala are called the Blue Argonauts so I'm sure they're always fleecing their opponents.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                            Bloody hell, Poole is approaching 47 which I saw Peter Shilton turn out for Orient at.

It always seems a little sad and tawdry when players are toiling away in Scotland or non-league but there's a certain nobility about being in the lower leagues when approaching or past 40 even when I'm sure it's the same gambling debts and maintenance payments that are the root of it.
                                            Kevin Poole is Burton's goalkeeping coach, so in his case it's a case of hin going on the bench, rather than them sign a keeper they're rarely going to use. Poole's only played three games, and one of those was as a last minute sub when their regular keeper (loanee Artur Krysiak) got sent off in the last minute.

Comment

It always seems a little sad and tawdry when players are toiling away in Scotland

Yes, imagine playing in a league that Cardiff raid for players on a regular basis.

Comment

I didn't say it was a fair or logical feeling.

Comment

Poole was playing regularly for the previous three seasons in the Conference though, winning club POTY one year and runner-up last season, very impressive.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X