No announcement yet.

Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

41 year old Ildefons Lima is in the Andorra squad for a friendly against Ireland tonight. He made his Andorra debut in 1997. Looking to become only the second player to play international football in four decades, after...... ?

Comment

Jari Litmanen.

Comment

5 points to 3CR, or 5 pints depending on preference

Comment

Joe Murphy and Peter Clarke have signed extensions to keep them at Rovers beyond their 40th birthday.

Murphy made his debut aged 18 so must have the club record for longest gap between first and last appearance.

Comment

Thomas Vermaelen comes on as sub for Belgium. now at Vissel Kobe in the J League, only 35.

Comment

Oh is she still playing.

43 year old Formiga named in the Brazil squad for the upcoming Olympics. Her first tournament was in 1996 and this will be her 7th.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                Thomas Vermaelen comes on as sub for Belgium. now at Vissel Kobe in the J League, only 35.
                Sorry if his name has already been called but I noticed that Jay Bothroyd, now 39, is still playing out in Japan. Now in his fifth season there, he's played almost 140 games and scored 68 goals.

Comment

Only 15 years younger than the league's oldest player, Kaz Miura, who turned out for Yokohama earlier this year.

The J League has a definite geriatric bent.

Shun Nakamura is about to turn 43 and Shinji Ono is 41 1/2.

At 37, Andres Iniesta is only the tenth oldest player to have made an appearance this season.

Comment

Adriano played in a US amateur tournament recently

Comment

Originally posted by Doraemon View Post
                      Oh is she still playing.

43 year old Formiga named in the Brazil squad for the upcoming Olympics. Her first tournament was in 1996 and this will be her 7th.

Comment

Feel like this is perhaps worthy of inclusion in this thread rather than the transfers thread as I presumed he'd retired a while ago... Lukas Podolski has signed for Górnik Zabrze, which by my reckoning will be the first time he's actually played in the country of his birth. He's actually only 36 – felt like he'd be older when I checked.

Comment

James Hanson has signed for Farsley Celtic following his release by Grimsby. Still only 33, apparently wanted a club closer to his home as he reckoned long drives weren't helping his injury problems.

Also handy to pick up a few shifts at the Co-op, I would have thought.

Comment

About a year ago or so, I highlighted Fluminense's Nenê. Some of you may remember his eight games for West Ham.

Last night he scored and was man of the match in Fluminense's Libertadores win against Cerro Porteño.

He turns 40 next Monday.

Comment

Watching Trnava vs Mosta in the European Conference, and Michael Mifsud, once of Coventry is playing for the Maltese visitors, aged 40. I saw him play for Malta in Slovakia 6 years ago. His international record is remarkable ; 143 appearances between 2000 and last year, and 42 goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jobi1 View Post
                                Feel like this is perhaps worthy of inclusion in this thread rather than the transfers thread as I presumed he'd retired a while ago... Lukas Podolski has signed for Górnik Zabrze, which by my reckoning will be the first time he's actually played in the country of his birth. He's actually only 36 – felt like he'd be older when I checked.
                                More detail here in this lovely piece ;

A promise to his grandma & an unprecedented welcome - Lukas Podolski finally makes his dream move

Comment

That's a great piece, the contrast to Klose is also interesting.

Comment

And a brown kit, if I’m not mistaken.

Comment

Anthracite (as is fitting)

That's the change

This is the home

Comment

Ah right, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                          That's a great piece, the contrast to Klose is also interesting.
                                          I'd like to stick up for Klose here because I like him:

"Klose didn't speak Polish" could - could - be misunderstood as "Klose couldn't speak Polish". He can and does speak Polish. Podolski reckons they used to converse in Polish when they played together up front.

Comment

Thanks for that treibeis

Comment

Yeah, what up it really means is that Klose was not comfortable giving Polish language interviews to the Polish media. He does speak the speak the language and never was shy about his heritage.

Klose is naturally less out going than Poldi, but so is much of humanity.

Comment

Mentioned this in the matchgoing thread, as one for Bolton, Leeds, Pompey and Carlisle fans ; Lubomir Michalik is still playing for Sered in the top tier of Slovak football. He'll be 39 in August.

Sered played in Zilina today, and Lubo was left on the bench. I feel they may need him on the pitch to organise the defence as the season goes on.

Comment

David Lee, who played for Bolton and Bury amongst others in the 80s and 90s, came on as a late sub for Manchester League newcomers AFC Burnley yesterday.

Comment

Thread perennial Kevin Ellison, 42, scored the winner for Newport at Oldham yesterday. I think he's got "last league goal scored by a player born in the 1970s" sewn up, although it's unclear if Dannie Bulman (a month older) is still at Crawley.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X