Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blameless View Post
    I've just tuned in for the livestream of Partick Thistle vs Cove Rangers in Scottish tier 3
    That really threw me for a minute, because I'm clearly still unused to the latter being part of the senior Scottish leagues and hence mention of the name gave me a momentary brainfart that caused it to read like a bizarre international aberration – until I remembered that Cove Rangers and Cobh Ramblers are different things, d'oh...

Comment

Another good day for the old 'uns, with both James Coppinger (40) and Wes Hoolahan (38) on the scoresheet for Donny and Cambridge.

Plus I noticed Paul McShane playing for Rochdale, but he's only 35.

Comment

Goal and an assist for Coppinger today. He's been excellent since coming back into the starting XI these last few weeks. He's even starting to engage with our hopeful 'one more year' posts on social media the big tease.

Comment

Arjen Robben got an assist for Groningen today, against Emmen. 37 years old, but looks about fifteen older.

https://twitter.com/OptaJohan/status/1391355626715025408

Comment

Wes Hoolahan scored again yesterday and finishes the season with 7 goals and 9 assists.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
              Goal and an assist for Coppinger today. He's been excellent since coming back into the starting XI these last few weeks. He's even starting to engage with our hopeful 'one more year' posts on social media the big tease.
              I saw that James Coppinger has decided to retire.

Comment

As has Jon Stead.

Comment

I believe 39 year old Peter Clarke played every minute of every league game this season.

Looking in Football Yearbook if he carries on into next season, he should make it onto the 23 strong list of players who have made 750+ league appearances. He is already well over 800 total career appearances.

Comment

I must admit that I was slightly surprised to find out that George Boyd is turning out for Salford but not as surprised as I was to find out that Stephen Ward is still playing. I was a big fan of his during his time at Burnley, but his knees were clearly shot three years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                      I must admit that I was slightly surprised to find out that George Boyd is turning out for Salford but not as surprised as I was to find out that Stephen Ward is still playing. I was a big fan of his during his time at Burnley, but his knees were clearly shot three years ago.
                      You'd think a society osteopath would take more care of his joints.
                      Last edited by Capybara; 10-05-2021, 10:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                        Ward's knees have done all right - he managed 31 games and would have had a few more but for a contract clause that would trigger an extra year if he made 30 starts. His performances were certainly better earlier in the season and he's among the many who are now being released.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                          As has Jon Stead.
                          I had an OIHSP moment watching the FA Trophy final. One of those players who kept popping up every few years. Hope he has a happy retirement!

Comment

Yes, same here in the snatch of the Trophy final I saw.

At the risk of turning this in to 'Oh, is he not still playing?', Jobi McAnuff has retired too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

At the risk of turning this in to 'Oh, is he not still playing?', Jobi McAnuff has retired too.
                              Maybe we need a thread to mark retirements, particularly of players who aren't hugely in the public eye.

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
                                Arjen Robben got an assist for Groningen today, against Emmen. 37 years old, but looks about fifteen older.

https://twitter.com/OptaJohan/status/1391355626715025408

https://twitter.com/ronvanderweerd/status/1391648569728380929?s=21

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I saw that James Coppinger has decided to retire.
                                  Selfish sod, wouldn't give us an 18th season.

(Yes, I am masking the tears with anger)

Comment

Thread stalwart Kevin Lisbie (42) has been joined by his son in today's London Senior Cup semi-final at Plough Lane .

He has another son on the books there so this may not be the first time it's happened ;

https://twitter.com/crayvalleypm/status/1393539332330426375?s=21

Comment

Hmmm, having a penalty saved (the second one The Dons keeper kept out in the match) that your son won must be a hard one to deal with around the dinner table afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by beak View Post
                                        Andr? Onana's twelve-month ban for "taking his wife's medicine" has meant a return to the Ajax starting XI for Maarten Stekelenburg.
                                        He's just signed a one-year extension.

In other Ajacied news, I saw some disappointment expressed that Ryan Babel didn't make it into the Dutch preliminary squad. Now there's a player who feels like he has been around forever, yet is still only 34. I keep waiting for the day that I check and he is finally older than I am, but the day never seems to arrive..

Comment

Chesterfield's winner today, which put them in the play offs at their opposition Halifax's expense, was scored by Nathan Tyson. He turned 39 at the start of the month.

Comment

I'm almost as surprised that Nathan's that old as I am surprised he's still playing given the number of injuries he's suffered over the years.

Comment

He was an unused sub in our (Cheltenham) Division 3 playoff final team in 2002.

I can't believe that's 19 years ago.

Comment

Fernandinho playing in a Champions league final at 36

Comment

Wes Hoolahan signs for another year at Cambridge

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                                    Fernandinho playing in a Champions league final at 36
                                                    or not, as the case may be

Comment

Working...
                                                    X