No announcement yet.

Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

38 year old Neil Danns has signed for Connah's Quay Nomads. It's mainly notable because the reports make much of him being an "ex-Premier League player".

While it's true that 5 of his 593 career appearances came in that competition (the most recent 13 years ago) I'm not sure it's the first thing that springs to mind about him.

Comment

Paul Bastock (50 years old) is on the bench tonight for King's Lynn. He's the goalkeeping coach and apparently has the record for most competitive club appearances in world football, though I don't know where that stat originates (I got it from the live feed of the game).

Comment

Just how old is Kevin Ellison?

Comment

42. But he's younger than Danny Bulman at Crawley.

Comment

He looked old when I saw him at the Don Valley playing for Chester in the late noughties, before he joined us and then moved on to Morecambe. Delighted to see that he's up to his old trick of scoring against former employers...

Comment

Back in the days when you could go to games, if a Southport away trip involved getting a taxi we would always give "Ellison" as the name. I can't remember if this started out in reference to Kevin or Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                38 year old Neil Danns has signed for Connah's Quay Nomads. It's mainly notable because the reports make much of him being an "ex-Premier League player".

While it's true that 5 of his 593 career appearances came in that competition (the most recent 13 years ago) I'm not sure it's the first thing that springs to mind about him.
                I remember reading much the same about the recently-mentioned-on-here Kevin Ellison as being an 'ex-premier league star' upon joining one of his many clubs.

He played one game.

Comment

Who for?

Comment

He played the last six minutes for Leicester away at Manchester United. It was 0-0 when he came on in place of Dean Sturridge, before two late goals gave United a 2-0 win.

Comment

Ta.

Comment

Have we ever done shortest PL careers? There must be stats. out there, I assume.

I saw Joe Sheerin come on for about one minute as a tactical substitute for Chelsea away at Wimbledon, (or possibly Palace, it was at Selhurst Park). I don't think he touched the ball. And that was it. No other PL appearances.

He was part of the very first AFC Wimbledon team, I believe.

Comment

Nick Culkin - a few seconds in Arsenal v Manchester United in August 1999. Deep in injury time Martin Keown fouled Raimond van der Gouw, with the result that van der Gouw had to go off injured. Culkin came on, took the free kick and the referee blew the final whistle.

Comment

https://twitter.com/primevideosport/status/1370796315421065216?s=19

Comment

Ellison came on in a double sub with Nicky Maynard. His goal came with an assist from Maynard.
                              Their combined age is 77!

Comment

While looking at Burton's squad to see who they'd signed in January to aid their remarkable surge away from D3 relegation trouble I noticed Michael Mancienne was one example, having been released by New England Revolution in December.

I presumed that (like John Bostock whose name recently cropped up on the D3 thread as a Doncaster player) he would be a rare example of a OIHSP? candidate in his twenties.

It turns out Mancienne is 33! Perennially promising young player and one of the original stockpiled Chelsea loanees is in his mid-thirties, that makes me feel old.

Comment

Derek Adams does seem to have an eminently punchable face... as much as you can tell via side profile anyway. Touch of the Martin Shkreli about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                    Have we ever done shortest PL careers? There must be stats. out there, I assume.

I saw Joe Sheerin come on for about one minute as a tactical substitute for Chelsea away at Wimbledon, (or possibly Palace, it was at Selhurst Park). I don't think he touched the ball. And that was it. No other PL appearances.

He was part of the very first AFC Wimbledon team, I believe.
                                    That’s right NS, the game was against Wimbledon, in 96/97 (shortly after the FA cup semi) and he acknowledged that he never touched the ball.

Sheerin was the first AFC Wimbledon captain, played for around three seasons and is still much loved.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                      Nick Culkin - a few seconds in Arsenal v Manchester United in August 1999. Deep in injury time Martin Keown fouled Raimond van der Gouw, with the result that van der Gouw had to go off injured. Culkin came on, took the free kick and the referee blew the final whistle.
                                      ....which, as a side note, also triggered a clause in the deal for Culkin's transfer from York that meant United had to bring a full first-team squad to Bootham Crescent for a friendly the following summer. I think I'm correct in saying that despite the odd play-off semi and cup tie against higher league opposition since then, that remains the last time BC was fully, officially sold out for a match.

Comment

Still time to make the Euros squad, Joe!

https://twitter.com/joe16led/status/1372560859336224768?s=21
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-03-2021, 23:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                          Still time to make the Euros squad, Joe!

https://twitter.com/joe16led/status/1372560859336224768?s=21
                                          He came out here to play for Newcastle Jets, but Covid19 cut that short and like most of the imports, he pissed off quick smart. He managed 6 games.

Comment

He was due to sign for Newport before the Newcastle deal, he even had a shirt number but got the offer from Australia.

Comment

Wilfried Bony is still training with Newport, I wonder if he could be persuaded now? His family are still in Swansea.

Comment

I always wonder with Bony and similar cases (Yaya Toure with Orient etc.) - why not just sign a short-term deal or even play non-contract, just to get some competitive games back under your belt in the hope of selling yourself to a "bigger" club?

You get a shop window; the club gets the benefit of your ability and experience.

Comment

I agree, it's the second time Bony has been training with them and he's properly training as well not just using the facilities. For Ledley it's also the second time but both times deals were in place, this time it got over the line.

Comment

I've just tuned in for the livestream of Partick Thistle vs Cove Rangers in Scottish tier 3, and was shocked to find out that ex-Aberdeen wunderkind Fraser Fyvie is now on Cove's books. He's still only 27, but seems to have been a promoising youngster for ever.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X