No announcement yet.

Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glenn Whelan is still an international class midfielder, it seems.

Comment

Fabrício Coloccini, at the age of 37, playing now for San Lorenzo against Palmeiras in the Libertadores.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BSFCTheBlues/status/1115636488157499393

Comment

The above post has led me to realise that this Friday is the ninth anniversary of this thread starting. Major plans will have to put in place to commemorate it's decade in 2020.

Comment

Actually, Juan of Flamengo is not still playing.

He made his final appearance tonight at the age of 40, coming on as a late substitute in Flamengo's win against Cruzeiro. He started his career at Flamengo and played at Bayer Leverkusen, Roma and Internacional before returning to Flamengo in 2016. He made 78 appearances for Brazil including the 2006 and 2010 World Cups.

Comment

I saw Barry Hayles (now 46) play for Windsor at Lydney on Good Friday. He didn't play very well, which was something he had in common with his team mates.

Comment

Mario Basler will be playing with TSG Eisenberg in the eighth tier of the German pyramid this season. He's 50.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Mario Basler will be playing with TSG Eisenberg in the eighth tier of the German pyramid this season. He's 50.
                  Pfff. I played Bezirksliga - once - at his age.

Comment

Shunsuke Nakamura joins Yokohama FC at the age of 41, and isn't even the oldest player there, by some distance too...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48948303

Comment

He's the best, most consistent free kick taker I can remember seeing in the flesh (Nakamura). Though Moravcik just before him at Sellick was also uncanny on the deid ba'.

Comment

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1163071219832373248

Comment

37-year-old former most-of-the-third-tier striker Bas Savage was leading the line for 10th tier Lewisham Borough last night, and scored the opening goal in their 4-1 win from the penalty spot. his Wikipedia entry tails off after he moved to Thailand in 2012, so not sure where he's arrived from.

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                            Glenn Whelan is still an international class midfielder, it seems.
                            bump

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post

bump
                              Yep, Whelan's going on 36 but probably our best player last night.

Comment

Last mentioned on this thread (I believe) in January 2016, Scott McGleish is on the bench tonight for Hendon, and has played one Cup game this season. He's 45, and 18 months older than Jamie Cureton.
                                Last edited by irony towers; 01-10-2019, 20:44.

Comment

Simon Royce was on the bench for Gillingham during their last league game. He's 48.

Comment

Did you delete that photo of McGleish, it? Or is a firewall protecting me from revisiting the horror?

Comment

Yes, I deleted it and dispensed with the 'lost some timber' dig. Without figuring out how to shrink the photo I thought it best not to launch fresh nightmares, just when you'd got over Barry Hayles.

Comment

Lee Hughes scoring the winner yesterday for Mickleover Sports against Scarborough.

[URL]https://twitter.com/northernpremlge/status/1180905562822848512?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Hughes has got strong OIHSP company at Mickleover, who are managed by ex Doncaster Rovers and Burton Albion midfielder John McGrath, himself a substitue yesterday. Pablo Mills (Derby, Rotherham, Crawley, Bury) is there, as too is Stuart Beavon (Wycombe, Preston, Burton, Coventry) and Ricky Ravenhill (Doncaster, Darlington, Notts County, Bradford).

Comment

Noticed yesterday that Grant Holt scored two.goals for Wroxham FC. I had no idea he'd been there for the past year.

Comment

Yes. He is still going. King Kazu came on at the end of Yokohama FC's promotion winning game at the weekend at the age of 52

Also in the Yokohama squad is youngster Shunsuke Nakamura (41).

i don't know if they will get much time in J1 next year.

Comment

Robbie Savage has signed for Stockport County

Robbie Savage signs for Stockport Town in 10th tier - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50538921

Comment

Stockport Town. Fortunately for Stockport County.

Comment

My bad. It says it in the link text from the BBC and everything.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X