Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    The word tweet in square brackets (and then /tweet afterwards)
    Ah, only just seen this. Thank you!

https://twitter.com/konyaspor/status/958668122914992128

Comment

I have absolutely no recollection of Eto'o ever playing for Everton, which he apparently did for half a season three years ago. A reverse Mandela moment.

Keeping things Cameroonian, I spotted Alex Song on the roster at Rubin Kazan while researching who the hell Javi Gracia was. But he's now walked out after a row over late payments, and has pitched up for training at Arsenal, With Wenger trotting out the usual "no, he's just working on his fitness, there will be no deal" that was heard previously when Henry, Campbell and Lehmann did the same before signing up for a swansong. Arsenal is the only club where Song looked anything like a player, so why not? He's only 30.

Comment

Likewise. His time at Konyaspor is likely to prove as forgettable as the time he apparently spent at Goodison.

And isn't claim six something warranting a police investigation??

Comment

Mike Hanke, who featured for Germany at the 2006 World Cup and hasn't played at any competitive level for three years, has signed up for TuS 1910 Wiescherhöfen (the club he first joined as a boy) in the Landesliga Westfalen. And he scored a last-minute equaliser on his debut against Schwarz-Weiß Wattenscheid 08 last weekend.

Comment

"Oh, is he still ploughing?!"

I was genuinely surprised to hear his name, even though he's only 32.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 28-02-2018, 14:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
              Hadn't realised Michael Tonge was still playing until I saw him turn out for Port Vale today.
              Aye, a central midfield of him and Danny Pugh goes at least some of the way to explaining Vale's miserable league position.

Comment

Just realised that Bacary Sagna is now at Benevento, the team currently ten points adrift at the bottom of Serie A.

He's 35 now, but based on his performances last season at Manchester City he deserves better than this. Still looked a good player.

Comment

He's not playing but surprised to learn that Jose Baxter has a contract at Everton

Comment

Apologies if he's already been mentioned, but Milan Baros (now aged 37) is still going at Banik Ostrava. At least he was till Good Friday, when a Jihlava player stamped on his calf, causing a gash that needed four stitches. He'd earlier scored Banik's first goal in their 3-1 win.

I first saw Baros playing for Banik in 2000, away to Sigma Olomouc. I doubt there are any other Czech/Slovak players I've seen playing for the same club in games 18 years apart.

Comment

I'm not sure this should even count for this thread but the BBC decided it was story-worthy, so... Derek Riordan signs for St Bernard's.

Comment

CURETONWATCH UPDATE

After leaving Farnborough for the third time in January, our 42 year old hero is now playing for Bishop's Stortford.

He returned to his previous club last night and bagged a brace in a 0-5 win making it 10 goals in 15 games for his new team.
                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 13-04-2018, 13:55.

Comment

Marvellous. Thanks Bored.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post
                            Apologies if he's already been mentioned, but Milan Baros (now aged 37) is still going at Banik Ostrava. At least he was till Good Friday, when a Jihlava player stamped on his calf, causing a gash that needed four stitches. He'd earlier scored Banik's first goal in their 3-1 win.

I first saw Baros playing for Banik in 2000, away to Sigma Olomouc. I doubt there are any other Czech/Slovak players I've seen playing for the same club in games 18 years apart.
                            But how can we be sure it isn't actually Jennifer Capriati masquerading as Baros?

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                              Marvellous. Thanks Bored.
                              Eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                Eh?
                                These Welsh all look the same to me. Marvellous sense of rhythm, look you.

Comment

CURETONWATCH UPDATE

After leaving Farnborough for the third time in January, our 42 year old hero is now playing for Bishop's Stortford.

He returned to his previous club last night and bagged a brace in a 0-5 win making it 10 goals in 15 games for his new team.
                                  A friend of mine who works for Bishop's (and was at the 5-0 game) tells me that Cureton is now on 335 goals from 951 matches. Jamie's aim is to complete 1,000 games and score 350 goals by the time he retires, so he will certainly carry on next season if fit enough.

Comment

He’s also started as a part time coach at Arsenal’s academy this season, I’ve just discovered.

Comment

Originally posted by jameswba View Post

He's actually played for banik over 4 different spells. Talking of ex-villa strikers, john carew is no longer playing but he was at the villa game the other night - sitting next to prince William.

41 year old lee hughes signed for halesowen town the other week and so has been all over the local press for a few weeks now.

Comment

Eh?
                                        Sorry Ray!

We do indeed all look a lot alike here west of the Severn Bridge, Chris. Small, dark and swarthy, mostly, with shifty eyes. But with music in our soul and, er, daffodils in our hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                          Sorry Ray!

We do indeed all look a lot alike here west of the Severn Bridge, Chris. Small, dark and swarthy, mostly, with shifty eyes. But with music in our soul and, er, daffodils in our hair.
                                          Haha. Rwyt ti wedi anghofio’r barddoniaeth yn ein calonau!
                                          Last edited by ChrisJ; 14-04-2018, 04:44. Reason: Ffin...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                            These Welsh all look the same to me. Marvellous sense of rhythm, look you.
                                            I have no rhythm whatsoever - that must be the 1/8th English blood taking over.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
                                              Haha. Rwyt ti wedi anghofio’r barddoniaeth yn ein calonau!
                                              D'oh, yeah that was the one

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                              I have no rhythm whatsoever - that must be the 1/8th English blood taking over.
                                              I do, surprisingly, considering I'm 3/4 white Anglo-Saxon English, pretty much. That 1/4 Welsh must have a surprisingly large effect.

Comment

CURETONWATCH UPDATE

You report that is if this was news on here...

Comment

Farnborough have just signed Lenny Pidgeley (34, made his debut for Chelsea against Charlton in 2004) and Jefferson Louis (39, we'll be his 37th club).

Comment

I’ve seen Lenny Pidgeley play for both Hastings and Margate in recent seasons and I’m always surprised at how young he actually is. This is partly because of how long ago he made his debut but mainly because he clearly has the name of a man born in 1934.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-05-2018, 08:48.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X