X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doraemon
    replied
    Oh is she still playing.

43 year old Formiga named in the Brazil squad for the upcoming Olympics. Her first tournament was in 1996 and this will be her 7th.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Thomas Vermaelen comes on as sub for Belgium. now at Vissel Kobe in the J League, only 35.

Leave a comment:

• Baptiste
    replied
    Joe Murphy and Peter Clarke have signed extensions to keep them at Rovers beyond their 40th birthday.

Murphy made his debut aged 18 so must have the club record for longest gap between first and last appearance.

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    5 points to 3CR, or 5 pints depending on preference

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Jari Litmanen.

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    41 year old Ildefons Lima is in the Andorra squad for a friendly against Ireland tonight. He made his Andorra debut in 1997. Looking to become only the second player to play international football in four decades, after...... ?

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
    Fernandinho playing in a Champions league final at 36
    or not, as the case may be

Leave a comment:

• Reality Checkpoint
    replied
    Wes Hoolahan signs for another year at Cambridge

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Fernandinho playing in a Champions league final at 36

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    He was an unused sub in our (Cheltenham) Division 3 playoff final team in 2002.

I can't believe that's 19 years ago.

Leave a comment:

• lambers
    replied
    I'm almost as surprised that Nathan's that old as I am surprised he's still playing given the number of injuries he's suffered over the years.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Chesterfield's winner today, which put them in the play offs at their opposition Halifax's expense, was scored by Nathan Tyson. He turned 39 at the start of the month.

Leave a comment:

• beak
    replied
    Originally posted by beak View Post
    Andr? Onana's twelve-month ban for "taking his wife's medicine" has meant a return to the Ajax starting XI for Maarten Stekelenburg.
    He's just signed a one-year extension.

In other Ajacied news, I saw some disappointment expressed that Ryan Babel didn't make it into the Dutch preliminary squad. Now there's a player who feels like he has been around forever, yet is still only 34. I keep waiting for the day that I check and he is finally older than I am, but the day never seems to arrive..

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Hmmm, having a penalty saved (the second one The Dons keeper kept out in the match) that your son won must be a hard one to deal with around the dinner table afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Thread stalwart Kevin Lisbie (42) has been joined by his son in today's London Senior Cup semi-final at Plough Lane .

He has another son on the books there so this may not be the first time it's happened ;

https://twitter.com/crayvalleypm/status/1393539332330426375?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Uros Predic
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I saw that James Coppinger has decided to retire.
    Selfish sod, wouldn't give us an 18th season.

(Yes, I am masking the tears with anger)

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by beak View Post
    Arjen Robben got an assist for Groningen today, against Emmen. 37 years old, but looks about fifteen older.

https://twitter.com/OptaJohan/status/1391355626715025408

https://twitter.com/ronvanderweerd/status/1391648569728380929?s=21

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

At the risk of turning this in to 'Oh, is he not still playing?', Jobi McAnuff has retired too.
    Maybe we need a thread to mark retirements, particularly of players who aren't hugely in the public eye.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Yes, same here in the snatch of the Trophy final I saw.

At the risk of turning this in to 'Oh, is he not still playing?', Jobi McAnuff has retired too.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    As has Jon Stead.
    I had an OIHSP moment watching the FA Trophy final. One of those players who kept popping up every few years. Hope he has a happy retirement!

Leave a comment:

• Hot Orange
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I must admit that I was slightly surprised to find out that George Boyd is turning out for Salford but not as surprised as I was to find out that Stephen Ward is still playing. I was a big fan of his during his time at Burnley, but his knees were clearly shot three years ago.
    Ward's knees have done all right - he managed 31 games and would have had a few more but for a contract clause that would trigger an extra year if he made 30 starts. His performances were certainly better earlier in the season and he's among the many who are now being released.

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    I must admit that I was slightly surprised to find out that George Boyd is turning out for Salford but not as surprised as I was to find out that Stephen Ward is still playing. I was a big fan of his during his time at Burnley, but his knees were clearly shot three years ago.
    You'd think a society osteopath would take more care of his joints.
    Last edited by Capybara; 10-05-2021, 10:32.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Baptiste
    replied
    I believe 39 year old Peter Clarke played every minute of every league game this season.

Looking in Football Yearbook if he carries on into next season, he should make it onto the 23 strong list of players who have made 750+ league appearances. He is already well over 800 total career appearances.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    As has Jon Stead.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X