Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just impressed to see Young Kevin Phillips back in the Premier League again.

Comment

He wasn't playing in the big derby yesterday, but Whitstable Town have announced the signing of Ian Cox, "our first ever ex international".

Comment

A couple from Brazil:

Rivaldo turned out as a late substitute for Série B's São Cãetano in their 1-0 defeat at Joinville.

44 year-old Túlio Maravilha is still in search of his 1000th career goal. He scored number 999* for Vilavelhense in the Copa Espirito Santo at the weekend.

*According to his own figures. No-one else really believes them.

Comment

Sits With Remote wrote: I'm just impressed to see Young Kevin Phillips back in the Premier League again.
          I was surprised to see that he is England's only Golden Shoe winner. Wales have got two.

Comment

What was the rationale behind that annoying switch from Golden Boot to Golden Shoe?

Comment

44 year-old Túlio Maravilha is still in search of his 1000th career goal. He scored number 999* for Vilavelhense in the Copa Espirito Santo at the weekend.
              Is that the same Tulio of mid-90s Botafogo and handball title decider controversy?

Comment

Hang on, after all the palaver over Steve Harper "retiring", I did not expect to see his name turn up in a match report for Spurs v Hull!

Comment

I don't think he was retiring, I think he was just leaving Newcastle after 20 years.

It will be interesting to see what happens when he retires, as he's a fully qualified ref, and has talked about reffing when he retires from benchwarming.

Comment

No, looking back I don't think he ever did say he was retiring but it seemed to be treated as such.

I certainly didn't expect him to just go and switch his position as an eight game a season benchwarmer to another northern EPL club.

Comment

dalliance wrote:
                      Is that the same Tulio of mid-90s Botafogo and handball title decider controversy?
                      Yes it is the very same Túlio. He did win the title with Botafogo in 1995, finished as the league's top scorer and scored a suspiciously offside goal in the final against Santos. The handball incident you're referring to may have been the one in the 1995 Copa America which gave Brazil a 2-2 draw against Argentina and they went on to win the penalty shoot-out. Believe it or not, I actually attended that game on my first visit to South America.

Meanwhile, Túlio is still trying to auction the rights to his 1000th goal. A team called Paraiso from the second division of the Tocantins State league showed some interest but they were put off by his asking price of 80,000 Reais.

Comment

Kevin Poole wins the thread...again.

Does Rowett really mean "poignant" here?:

"I think it is poignant to give Deano the chance for the two games, so let's put Pooley on the bench and make a decision before Thursday," Rowett said.

Comment

No.

Comment

Words can barely express my wonder on seeing 42 year old, thrice retired, former Premier League stalwart and one cap Scottish internationalist Paul Norman Telfer come on as sub for Sutton United in their Surrey Senior Cup derby clash with Kingstonian tonight.

He filled in at centre half too, relatively effectively for a 5' 9" full back though may have been partly at fault for The Ks late winner and solitary goal of the tie.

Comment

Claudiu Raducanu, the prolific Steaua Bucharest striker whose goals put Southampton out of the 2003/04 UEFA cup, is currently playing for FC Romania in the Essex Senior League.

video

Comment

Indeed, I think I may have seen him play in their visit to Sporting Bengal United (the club for London's Bangladeshi community) last month though exact team sheets were hard to come by.

FCR look a tidy side who could go further up the leagues, especially given the club are only a few seasons old. SBUFC managed to hold them to a 1-1 draw though.

Comment

Kevin Miller, aged 45, coming to the end of his seventh season with Bodmin Town...

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/bodmintownfootballclub/122444/Players/view/1232435

Comment

Zorg the Leveller wrote: Kevin Miller, aged 45, coming to the end of his seventh season with Bodmin Town...

http://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/bodmintownfootballclub/122444/Players/view/1232435
                                    There was a lovely review of one of his last matches on this website:
                                    http://putajumperon.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/we-need-to-talk-about-kevin/

When you have defenders taking your goalkicks for you, I think it's time to bow out.

Comment

35 year old Welsh legend John Oster pops up for Gatehshead visiting his original club Grimsby Town in the Conference play-offs. I lost track of him after Barnet's relegation last season.

Comment

"Aberystwyth Town have secured a major coup by signing the Corbettsports Welsh Premier League's first ever UEFA Champions League Group Stage Scorer."

Go on, guess who?

In other news, Brian Stock has gone from Burnley to Havant & Waterlooville at what seems like the tender age of 32.

Comment

I realise I am curating this thread almost solo and with a Welsh theme but the "Whatever happened to Simon Davies?" question answered.

Comment

I worked with a guy who grew up in Haverfordwest and was the same age as "Digger" Davies. He was picked to mark Davies in a schools game and was quite proud that Davies only scored six goals against them. He apparently often hit double figures.

He seemed to disappear at Fulham. I always presumed it was an injury.

58 times for Wales. I didn't think it was that many.

Comment

Nicky Weaver, best remembered for replacing David James in goal so the latter could play as a centre-forward, recently played for Aberdeen.

Was surprised to learn that Pascal Chimbonda now plays for Carlisle.

Comment

Chris Makin is also chugging away in non-league, turning out for Radcliffe Borough aged 41.

Comment

Haussmann wrote:

Was surprised to learn that Pascal Chimbonda now plays for Carlisle.
                                                  Not any more apparently, wikipedia has him at Greek Football League 2 side Oikonomos Tsaritsani now.

Comment

The South West Peninsula League may feature an ex-Spurs and Chelsea star this season.

(Yes, that's right, it's Jimmy Greaves.)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X