• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capybara
    replied
    Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
    Matt Derbyshire has just signed for Bradford City
    Astonishing. I'd forgotten all about him but if you'd reminded me I'd have said he was in his early 40s at least. Still only 36.

Leave a comment:

• Tapiocahead
    replied
    Matt Derbyshire has just signed for Bradford City

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    And he's wearing the number 2 shirt, which is just wrong

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Apparently Andy Carroll is currently fit enough to play football...

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    If Nwwport won't give him a chance, I wonder if he fancies a stint at Barry Town.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
    It seems he's been quietly training with them for the past three years while trying to fixed up with other clubs, but with limited success - a couple of short spells in Qatar and Saudi and then a spell at Nijmegen last season which yielded just one 15 minute sub appearance.
    He got injured in the Netherlands, again, which is why his spell was cut short. It also attracted lots of controversy as he'd previously played for their rivals Den Haag.

His family is still in the Swansea area and his son is in the academy there as well.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    It seems he's been quietly training with them for the past three years while trying to fixed up with other clubs, but with limited success - a couple of short spells in Qatar and Saudi and then a spell at Nijmegen last season which yielded just one 15 minute sub appearance.

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Wilfrid Bony scored the winner for Newport today in a mid-season friendly.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    International OIHSP? moment finding out Luis Suarez* is in Uruguay's World Cup squad.

*Or "Bitey" as Mrs Thistle calls him

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied
    The latest in my series of players I'd completely forgotten about turning up at non-league clubs is Simeon Jackson (49 caps for Canada) playing for Chelmsford City last night.

Leave a comment:

• Voidoid
    replied
    Originally posted by cantagalo View Post
    Last night, 38 year-old Craig Mackail-Smith came on as a sub for Bedford Town.
    Bedford Town also have once upon a time future Premier League star George Thorne who is only 29 still although his injuries meant he's only played 27 times since 2016. They also recently signed Michael Harriman who I have no idea why he's dropped to that level at the age of 30 with 300+ appearances as a good league one/two full back behind him.

Last season's title winning top scorer was 36 year old Rene Howe of many a lower league club fame, He left in the summer citing the increased commitments needed at the higher level not fitting in with his post-football career but as far as I am aware is still playing for Ware FC.

Leave a comment:

• Artificial Hipster
    replied
    Originally posted by Tony C View Post
    I think I may have mentioned this previously on a match going thread but I saw ex Derby (and about ten other clubs) goalkeeper Stephen Bywater play for Wythenshawe Town at Kendal in a North West Counties League game a few weeks ago. He’s 41.
    In spite of his only game for Rochdale being a 6-1 defeat to Carlisle the fee we received from West Ham for the 16 year old Bywater was a club record at the time.

Stephen was from the third generation of the family with a connection to Spotland. Among his many roles dad David was responsible for the development of the women's game at the club while granddad Les used to drive the team bus and ran the coach company that drove Dale fans up and down the country for many years.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    One from the Czech league ; Marek Matejovsky, who played for Reading from 2008 till 2010, scored for Mlada Boleslav at Jablonec on Saturday. He's now 40.

Leave a comment:

• jameswba
    replied
    Spectacular goal by Nicky Maynard for Macclesfield at Trafford yesterday, starting at around 9.52 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnUns814akk&t=619s

I was surprised to find that Maynard is still only 35.

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    Last nights match between Southport and Brackley had both teams playing 40 year old goalkeepers - Tony McMillan for Southport and David Lewis for Brackley. Both have previously played for clubs that haven't existed for at least 15 years (the original Runcorn for McMillan, Moor Green for Lewis).

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    I think I may have mentioned this previously on a match going thread but I saw ex Derby (and about ten other clubs) goalkeeper Stephen Bywater play for Wythenshawe Town at Kendal in a North West Counties League game a few weeks ago. He’s 41.
    Last edited by Tony C; 09-11-2022, 17:28.

Leave a comment:

• Simon G
    replied
    36 year old, Matthew Barnes-Homer, came on for Gloucester City last night in their 1-0 defeat to Buxton.

He's there in a coaching capacity mainly, but they're going through a bit of an injury crisis at the moment/

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Not so much, is he still playing, more "Is he still managing them?", Nicolo Napoli has just been hired as manager by U Craiova for the 9th time (NINTH)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicol%C3%B2_Napoli

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied
    Last night, 38 year-old Craig Mackail-Smith came on as a sub for Bedford Town.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    An OIHSP? In the wild for me tonight as I've just spotted 37 year old Darren fucking Pratley on the Orient team sheet.

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied
    Tite has just announced the Brazilian World Cup squad.

It includes Daniel Alves, currently playing for Pumas in Mexico. At 39, he is Brazil's oldest player ever to go to a World Cup, beating Djalma Santos who was 37 in 1966.

Leave a comment:

• Jurgen Sparwasser
    replied
    Originally posted by Cousin Boneless View Post
    The Infamous Jefferson Louis has signed for North Leigh. he is 43

Just look at this! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Louis
    Looks like that didn't last long.
    An experienced English footballer has joined Thame United in the 49th move of his playing career, and it’s causing plenty of talk on social media.

Leave a comment:

• blameless
    replied
    That's glorious. The looks on the faces of his coach and goalie are even more fun than the goal.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1588997794076950531?s=61&t=si0Xlw69O-4V1lX2nYxQPw

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by Cousin Boneless View Post
    Dean Lewington has played nine hundred games as of yesterday.

That's pretty impressive. I remember watching him at the National Hockey Stadium when he played for 'Wimbledon'. I think this was 2003.
    Fuck that scab cunt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X