Oh, is he still playing?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yakubu seeking a glorious return to English football.

Comment

Two more exotic destinations ...

Shane Smeltz has gone to Malaysia.

Clinton Morrison has gone to Redditch.

Comment

Story re Julian Joachim came up on my Twitter feed last night, think he has gone to Newark...?

Comment

Had a quick check, but couldn't find if this was posted further back in the thread, but for the last season, Bamber Bridge FC have been boasting a Strike partnership of Brett Ormerod and Jonathan Macken. Playing behind them, they have Paul KcKenna, who didn't quite manage to get himself into the Premier League, but was a really good Championship midfielder.

Just down the road, Matt Jansen was player coach for Chorley, until last season, when Gary Flitcroft left management after two promotions with the club, and Jansen was moved up the pecking order.

Comment

Alex Manninger, 39, has been signed by Liverpool as experienced goalkeeping cover.

Has been at Augsburg, apparently

Comment

Farnborough (Southern League Division One Central) have just signed Jamie Cureton.

Comment

Glentoran have signed Nacho Novo. He made this debut today.

Comment

Crusoe wrote: Farnborough (Southern League Division One Central) have just signed Jamie Cureton.
                  Well Cureton didn't manage a goal, but Dennis Oli (QPR, Swansea, Gillingham) did.

Comment

Lee Hendrie is now playing for Montpellier. Not the one in the south of France, but a club from just outside Evesham, playing in Division Three of the Midland League.

Comment

Paul Robinson was the reserve keeper for Burnley today.

Comment

He's only 36, keepers haven't even peaked by then!

Comment

Shay Given played for Stoke at the weekend. I thought he'd retired.

Comment

Andre Santos, once of Fenerbahçe and Arsenal, has turned up in the Turkish Second Division with Boluspor.

Comment

Mark Tyler re-signed for Peterborough over the summer and played for them in the League Cup last night.

Comment

Nicky Shorey, 35, signs for Hungerford Town of the Conference South.

Comment

The Joey Barton shenanigans at Rangers meant I overheard a radio show caller moaning about Niko Krancjar playing for them and being too slow.

Honestly thought he had retired.

Comment

All but retired, his last club was the current incarnation of New York Cosmos in the US second tier.

I had the same shock when he lined up in the Old Firm game last weekend.

Comment

Patrick Thistle wrote: The Joey Barton shenanigans at Rangers meant I overheard a radio show caller moaning about Niko Krancjar playing for them and being too slow.

Honestly thought he had retired.
                                      I'm surprised to find out he's only 32, I'd have sworn he was older than me for a start.

Comment

Having a season ticket directly where the subs warm-up at City leads to a few 'oh, look who it is' moments.

Recent folk that have ambled down the touchline to perform a few half arsed skips and stretches include Richie Humphries, Emmerson Boyce and Lee Croft. Grant Holt turned up twice last season, his fat arse completely obscuring the view of the game for about half the first three rows.

Comment

Humphreys is a genuine surprise, he made his debut for Scunny on loan from Wednesday in 1999, but then received dog's abuse every time he visited with Hartlepool, either because he was supposed to sign for us or because he was recognisable and fat.

England international Paul Konchesky is another to pop up in League One this year, as part of Gillingham's somewhat porous defence. I suppose he should be a "where did they go?" rather than is he still playing, but his season at QPR last year (on loan from the eventual champions) passed me by. Plus I always thought he was prematurely or medically bald, but apparently he's grey.

Comment

Crikey, it's twenty years last month since Humphreys scored that volley for Wednesday against Villa on a stinkingly hot opening day of the season. Can still see him in the mind's eye running down my side of the Kop screaming in delight.

Comment

colinwasp wrote: Story re Julian Joachim came up on my Twitter feed last night, think he has gone to Newark...?
                                              Such a strange, strange player. I still think he's England's great lost talent, he had such an exciting game. I can't think of any other examples where nothing 'bad' on- or off-field has happened, but a promising player has just suddenly slid down the leagues.

Comment

hawkvshandsaw wrote:
                                                Originally posted by colinwasp
                                                Story re Julian Joachim came up on my Twitter feed last night, think he has gone to Newark...?
                                                Such a strange, strange player. I still think he's England's great lost talent, he had such an exciting game. I can't think of any other examples where nothing 'bad' on- or off-field has happened, but a promising player has just suddenly slid down the leagues.
                                                He faded at Leicester due to massive, repeating injury problems. I suspect that explains why he carried on fading. Such a shame - the sheer excitement you felt when he got on the ball wasn't really seen again till Leicester signed Mahrez, though Heskey at his pre-Liverpool peak occasionally came close.

I thought John Terry had retired, but this week I read that he wasn't considered for Chelsea's League Cup team due to being injured, so I guess not.

Comment

hawkvshandsaw wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by colinwasp
                                                  Surely signing for the Villa has to count as something bad? Then a career trajectory of post-relegation Coventry, post-meltdown Leeds, and pre-post-Steve Evans Boston...

Comment

Jamie Cureton (41) leaves Farnborough to climb back up three divisions to sign for Eastleigh after scoring 9 goals in 10 games. Clearly one to watch for the future, this lad.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X