RIP.

Only 51. Very, very sad.

Tommy Burns

I'm in tears here :-( knew it was coming but still a shock :-(
    genuine nice bloke
    RIP Tommy

Comment

Tommy Burns

Gutted, absolutely gutted. The most important figure in my time supporting Killie.

RIP

Comment

Tommy Burns

Terrible news. 51, fucking hell

Comment

Tommy Burns

Among a montage today I saw one quite extraordinary clip where Burns opined that he'd known "paedophiles, rapists and mass murderers" be treated with more compassion than Berti Vogts. I assumed Vogts went back to Germany, but clearly he's in Broadmoor or HMP Wakefield.

Still, this seemed to come from a genuine sense of loyalty to Vogts, so harsh to take a dislike to Burns from that.

Comment

Tommy Burns

Unfortunately it may have been his association with Vogts that cost him the chance to be considered as Walter Smith's replacement. Considering how closely he had worked with a squad of players growing in experience and self-belief the SFA could have done worse than take him on.

As it was, Burns was unique in that he just wanted to serve Celtic and Scotland the best he could. So many managers believe that they have the ability to perform equally well regardless of where they end up. Following his lack of success at Reading, Burns at least had the humility to know that he could do more for the club he loved and for his country, even if it was behind the scenes.

His legacy may not be known outside of Scotland, this is because he never once blew his own trumpet or believed in his own hype. Even when sacked by Celtic (well by Fergus the Fuckwit anyway) he was willing to go back there and work on coaching and developing a team that brought an end to the Rangers monopoly as well as help progress the next generation of Scotland's finest who now have to deal with the collective wisdom of George Burley and Terry Butcher. I can't think of anyone else in the modern game who would be willing to do that.

Such a sad way to go and at no age at all; still the memory and legacy of Tommy Burns should remain at Celtic. In the final analysis, I think he would have settled for that.

Comment

Tommy Burns

Celtic manager Gordon Strachan has paid an emotional tribute to Tommy Burns after his death at the age of 51.

Strachan visited the club's first-team coach less than 24 hours before his passing - and he misses Burns, the person, as much as the colleague.

"The best part of coming to Celtic, above everything else, is that it has been a fantastic journey," he said.

"But the last few years, calling Tommy Burns my friend. That's the best thing you can get."

He added: "That's no disrespect to football, but being Tommy's mate was the best part of joining Celtic. We're talking about a legend here.

"As I said all along, people should be judged not as a footballer but as a person.

Tommy Burns was a Celtic legend - Peter Lawwell

"There weren't many better than him. But, as a person, he was top of the league when it comes to being a man.

"Even yesterday, when I was with him, his faith was incredible. All he was interested in was making sure Rosemary and the kids, and I, were all right. He wasn't thinking about himself, which is absolutely incredible."

Strachan admitted it will be hard now to return his side's attention towards their pursuit of the Scottish Premier League title.

"I can't think that way," he revealed. "It's far away. It was strange, yesterday he was trying to make his family strong.

"We have a couple of days to really think about it. And then we'll get on.

"But all of us, as players, coaches, physios are lucky to have had Tommy in our lives."

Club captain Stephen McManus was full of praise for the manner in which Burns made his younger charges feel "very important" in his role as head of development.

And the mood, he said, among the playing staff is one of immense grief.

"It's very, very tough," said McManus. "I've spoken to a few of the players and we're all pretty much numb. A few of the lads have known for some time that he's not been too well.

Stephen McManus pays tribute to Tommy Burns' courage, warmth and generosity

"Then he'd bounce into the training ground as if everything's fine. That shows you what he's like as a man, that he was willing to fight on.

"He made sure you didn't feel awkward or no-one felt sorry for him.

"He was courageous and he was probably as brave a man as you'll ever meet."

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell revealed that the club have received messages of condolence from all around the world as news of Burns' death spreads.

And he hailed "the passion" that the former Scotland midfielder had brought to Celtic Park throughout his career.

"Today, we lost a coach and head of youth," he said. "But, more importantly, we lost one of this club's favourite sons.

"If you define a Celtic man, it would certainly be Tommy Burns. He was a wonderful human being.

"Tommy also transcended the football world, the divide in this city. You can see that outside now by the tributes coming in from every club. That takes a very special person."

Comment

Tommy Burns

The funeral is live on Sky Sports News now. I'm not joking.

Comment

Tommy Burns

and Setanta news.

Comment

Tommy Burns

Why would you be joking?

Comment

Tommy Burns

I thought he was a footballer, not someone who'd led the country in a war of national survival.

Comment

Tommy Burns

Tubby, you'd have a point if it was live on BBC 1 and Radio 4.

Sky Sports do tend to cover the funerals of major sporting figures. What else would they cover at noon on a Tuesday?

Comment

Tommy Burns

I was meaning that I can't believe anyone would want to see it. It seems to me like it should be private, in the way only a state funeral isn't. If Steve Cotterill keeled over tmrw, I wouldn't watch his funeral on TV.

Comment

Tommy Burns

The funeral of Tommy Burns should be considered newsworthy in sporting circles - what else can a 24/7 Sports News channel do except maybe add further hype to tomorrow night's final (which will stiil be shite).

I've not got access to this at present, but I'm assuming the various news bars are still running?

Comment

Tommy Burns

Yeah, in the kingdom of the blind that is rolling sports news I'd rather watch retrospectives on Burns' career than any more about tomorrow. Bearing in mind that sports previews are almost invariably dull and limited whatever the subject

Comment

Tommy Burns

Comment

Tommy Burns

Comment

Tommy Burns

Fuck off, Chippy.

Coming onto a thread about a man who has died of cancer at a very young age, in order to do nothing other than crack a couple of jokes about the supporters of the club that he played for and managed, is pretty pathetic.

You honestly ought to delete those two posts.

Comment

Tommy Burns

Deleted as requested

Sincere apologies, H of H. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Nor did I want to make cheap jokes.

Tommy Burns is the first player I remember of any club breaking through into the first team and then achieving success. I was surrounded my Celtic fans at school in this era.

His 8 caps were a significant achievement at a time when Scottish football midfield was at its zenith.

Comment

Tommy Burns

Here's my story:

My brother represented QP in a radio quiz, an Tommy Burns did the bit for Celtic... I listened to it live, and much as I wanted my brother to win, Mr Burns didnt miss a beat (the crowd was full of us nefarious Spiders, stoned, and loud).

The question that beat QP was , what is Hal short for?

He came to our school once when he was very young... the whole place stood still. He came to our house for dinner once, I think, and even my arsehole dad, just shutup.

Comment

Tommy Burns

Thanks Chippy.

Comment

Working...
                                          X