Is it true / The Battle at the top...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been at the pub trying to "Objectively" watch the game with two Manu supporting mates. Difficult for me not only in the sense that I have no time for either side in the title race and also that I feel so far removed from the Premiership these days its like watching a different sport. It was weird as I took off my anti Manu eyes and tried to talk around the game and the "flashpoints". Rio was stupid, but a pen would have been harsh - the Manu boys said it hit his chest and rambled on about that pen at the bridge the other week. Pen for Manu - harsh, but a stupid attempt to win the ball - you would have thought Rooney had been shot by a snipper by the "Cast iron" pen boys. Shcoles SHOULD have walked for a second yellow- all of a sudder however, that attempt to win the ball was "What footballs all about" - Second half was one way traffic Heskeys header apart - and was funny to see them sweat for a few moments after news of CFC goal, but frankly, there was little chance of a Wigan goal, even Manu tried for that own goal when2-0 up - 2nd scored of course by Giggs who the two lads I was with spent half the second half praying he didnt come on as he is slow and shit and not the player he was - then after the goal he was restored to legend status. The most bizzarre thing was on the final whistle, it was "Thank fuck for that, mines a pint" - I mean, they had just won the title and you would have thought they were going to bed - I remeber when we won it - it was amazing, I guess it just goes to prove that winning gets taken for granted if you taste it too much - all very strange. However, that said, congrates to Manu fans on this forum, with Terry likley to be out and Carvalio doubtful, the double must surley be on - thank god I will be in Zurich the night of the game and will not be subjected to the usual tripe commentator that gets given the final...

Comment

Having deliberately chosen a pub showing the Wigan Athletic - Manchester United match, as opposed to the Chelsea - Bolton Wanderers match (there's pretty much an even split in the pubs in Harrow), I was surprised to see so many people supporting Wigan. Maybe I ran across the London-based Wigan fans. Or maybe Chelsea fans are tossers who'd rather try and cause trouble than watch their own team on telly.

Comment

Blatant handball? Even the Wigan players didn't think it was a handball. Because it wasn't.
        So leaning into the ball with your flung arm out and it hitting you on the bicep isn't a handball? If you say so.
        Funny how the dead-cert penalty shout for United in the second half isn't being discussed in relation to Bennett doing United favours.
        My post was well before that happened. Still, 3 dodgy decisions for and one against. You'd take it wouldn't you?

I was surprised to see so many people supporting Wigan
        You'd imagine it was the standard ABU brigade.

Comment

Did Steve Bennett get a medal at the end? I was in the garden by the time it finished.

Comment

John Terry : "It's just a dislocated elbow, they've popped it back in. I should be OK in three or four days"

Sky interviewer "So you'll be fit for Moscow, John?"

John Terry : "Fingers crossed"

Comment

Ronaldo, whatever talent he has, is a petulant twat of the highest order. Absolutely pathetic today...Anyhow, with a couple of proper strikers upfront, we would have beaten ManUtd.

Comment

Sure. With a totally different team, you might have done.

Comment

Ronaldo went down thinking he'd be fouled and writhed in petulance. If a 3 year old did that, I'd be embarrassed. What a fucking cunt of the highest cunting order he is. It was hilarious to see him simply stop playing later on, assuming he was going to get a free-kick which wasn't given. Hateful little cunt, if a very good footballer.

His ratio of very good footballer to man you'd like to wrap a baseball bat round the neck around is as high as any human who's ever played the game.

Comment

Hey, hey we won the league todayyyy...

Just putting things in perspective.

Comment

Still, 3 dodgy decisions for and one against.
                      Three? I give you Scholes's not-second yellow. The penalty for Man Utd cannot possibly be argued. The Rio incident is not as clear-cut as it seemed in the reflection of your blinkers. It looked to me like it was coming off the shoulder. Funny that you're getting more excited about it than the Wigan players were.

NHH is quite right about CRonaldo. His antics were embarrassing. Even though he was right to expect a freekick, you play to the whistle.

Comment

Steve Bennett in bottling a big decision shocker. Absolutely no excuse for not giving Scholes a second yellow.

After being refuse service in a pub today for having a Northern accent

Soon as Boris makes that a "law" in London, the better.

Comment

Not much to add, except that it was a shame Wigan couldn't have held on for the draw they deserved. How sweet would Matthew Taylor's goal have been then?

Comment

Just about the only entertainment at Spurs yesterday was watching the other games' scores unfold on the big screen or via crowd rumour.

Big cheer when man utd scored (some Spurs fans don't like chelsea apparantly) and at some point in the second half someone must have informed the Liverpool support that Wigan had equalised (apparantly liverpool don't like man utd). Cue a chorus of 'Emile Heskey' from them.

How we laughed when the big screen confirmed man utd were still leading then scored again. Cue an ironic 'Emile Heskey' chorus from North London's finest. How we laughed. How we laughed at Dawson's v Torres. How we laughed at the Spurs midfield. How we marvelled at how Berbatov could 'play' 90 minutes in that heat and still not break sweat. How I'd laugh if someone gave us £20+ million for him.

Comment

That incident where scholes might have got his second yellow card should probably have been a free kick to rooney seconds earlier. Anyway, it would be a bit harsh to send scholes off for the sort of unpunished incident that claude makelele and javier mascherano have built entire careers around.

As for the ferdinand incident it took the fourth angle on the replay to make it look like it hit him on the arm. The rest of them looked like it hit him on the chest or shoulder. These things almost balance out though the ref should have given that penalty to scholes, and emerson boyce punched the ball onto rooney's hand shortly afterwards. The ref gave a freekick against rooney and booked him for his rather angry response.

Anyway it didn't matter because United were always going to beat wigan, who are there up there alongside villa, everton and rafa benitez's liverpool as six easy points for Man utd. That and didier Drogba was turning in an impressive Last first half performance for the chelsea fans to remember him by.

I liked avram grant's suggestion that we tear up the rule book to give his side a better chance to win the league. I noticed tony cascarino at it as well. fair dues to them. though it is a little late to start suggesting it now, and if united didn't have their huge goal difference advantage to fall back on do you think they would really have picked mikael silvestre and Darren fletcher at stamford Bridge?

All in all it was a great victory for football, and Ryan giggs' goal should put a spring in the step of every true fan of football. I think we should all take a moment to pause and celebrate the achievements of mr Amazing and his amazing team of amazoids.

Comment

That incident where scholes might have got his second yellow card should probably have been a free kick to rooney seconds earlier. Anyway, it would be a bit harsh to send scholes off for the sort of unpunished incident that claude makelele and javier mascherano have built entire careers around.
                                You are now entering....The Twilight Zone.

Comment

Rooney was fouled twice before Scholes barged A.N. Other into touch.

Comment

It's going to be that little bit easier wishing Chelsea well in the European Cup Final with Fartle around, isn't it?

Comment

come on now hobbes. Materazzi was sent off for two fouls (one of which wasn't a foul) against liverpool. mascherano committed 6 first half fouls and wasn't booked once. I think it is a little harsh for liverpool or chelsea fans to be complaining about that foul yesterday.

Comment

Paxton, you're spot on there.

Comment

Harry Parsons wrote:
                                          It's going to be that little bit easier wishing Chelsea well in the European Cup Final with Fartle around, isn't it?
                                          If you want to sell your soul to Satan, thats fine with me.

Comment

hobbes wrote:
                                            I was surprised to see so many people supporting Wigan
                                            You'd imagine it was the standard ABU brigade.
                                            Fair enough, Pip, but had it been me, and the matches involving, say, Chelsea and Arsenal rather than Chelsea and Manchester United, I'd've gone to watch Chelsea (hopefully) win not Arsenal (hopefully) lose. Er, I think that's cleared that up...

Comment

"After being refuse service in a pub today for having a Northern accent, all I can say is.."

I just noticed this.

It's funny on so many levels.

Comment

Working...
                                              X