Is it true / The Battle at the top...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have just been texted by a distraught CFC fan who claims Wigan not only cancelled a rugby game at the JJB this week aheed of tomorra game, but also have had the pitch relaid and stocked up on bubbly to toast the Champions. Haven't all visiting sides thus far at Wigan had to play on a shitty Rugby affected pitch - my CFC ranting friend is entering conspiracy mode - You know, Bruce is ex Manu, the team will roll over etc etc etc oh and everyone hates them you know...

Anyroad, are there any facts in this...

Facts :

The ground at the JJB has been relaid.
    Everyone hates Chelsea fans.

Comment

Given Bruce's previous experience with relaid pitches, i.e. Birmingham last season, there is no guarentee that it will play better tomorrow than it has for previous league games.

Wigan won't role over and die, but they will probably lose. As they have on every other occasion when they've played Man Utd.

Comment

Looking at the front page of today's Graun, where Ferguson whines that Bolton players have been out partying all week and Grant wants the rules to change to the concept of football leagues by having a play-off for the winner, I wish nought but death and nastiness on both parties...

Comment

Do you think he has a problem with short-term memory loss, and can't remember the events of the last day of the last season?

Comment

Ferguson didn't whine that the Bolton players had been out celebrating. His whine was questioning the media's attempts to question Wigan's professionalism, without once looking at Bolton.

Comment

And, by the way, the first post is one of the most ludicrous I've ever read.

Wigan, hosting the team top of the table, in the last game of the season STOCK UP ON CHAMPAGNE JUST IN CASE THEIR OPPONENTS WIN.

Well I fucking never. Apparently the trophy may show up there at some point as well. If that's not proof of some FA/Premier League conspiracy, then I don't know what is.

Comment

Isn't the form for this kind of thing that the trophy should be somewhere half way up the M6, waiting to be whisked one way or the other? Mind you, it's such a tinpot looking thing, it wouldn't really matter. My daughters could knock something up with bog roll tubes and silver foil, if United really need something to parade around at Wigan tomorrow afternoon.

Comment

This is somewhat hypocritical of me, given my line of work, but I'm increasingly coming to the opinion that nothing football managers ever say should ever be reported. Twenty-four-seven media culture encourages all this supposed 'mind games' nonsense and we all hoover it up like sick puppies. We probably shouldn't. For a while.

Comment

"Mind games," FFS. Tomorrow, Manchester United play Wigan Athletic in a match that is the player-for-player equivalent of England against Trinidad in the last World Cup. One team has a bloody great trophy and several million pounds in bonuses to play for; the other side is waiting to rush off the pitch and fuck straight off on holiday.

If Sir Alex Ferguson can't "motivate" his team to win tomorrow, then his entire reputation as "great manager" clearly means absolutely fuck all, and he might as well have been Bryan Robson all along.

Comment

Text him back telling him how a Manchester United fan had heard that Vladamir Putin had arranged for a spare set of smaller goals to be at the ground in a weeks time, that they change for the end Manchester United are shooting at, and....

that your friend should grow up and deal with his team not winning the Premiership (if it happens) like something approaching an adult.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks a play-off, such as they have in Serie A, is a good idea then?

Comment

They don't have it in Serie A anymore...

It's not a bad solution, but I don't think it's the best one. Goal difference seems fair enough, as it rewards attacking football over the season. It's about the only element of football that can reward style over pragatism, so I'm happy with it. Equally worth considering is the head-to-head record tie-breaker. As is also used in Italy. It's strange that Grant hasn't suggested that as an alternative solution...

23/9/07 Man Utd 2-0 Chelsea
                          26/4/08 Chelsea 2-1 Man Utd

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                            Looking at the front page of today's Graun, where Ferguson whines that Bolton players have been out partying all week and Grant wants the rules to change to the concept of football leagues by having a play-off for the winner, I wish nought but death and nastiness on both parties...
                            After having gone through what I went through yesterday with fucking shithouse Quins (from 4th, play-offs and secured HE Cup - rugby's Champions League equivalent - to 6th, out of play offs and now relying on Bath beating Worcester in a cup to avoid the UEFA Cup equivalent in the space of three minutes) I can say that playoffs suck. Plus, it's always fucking Wasps who fucking win them, despite never having finished top of the Legaue since the bastard things were brought in.

Comment

EIM wrote:
                              Ferguson didn't whine that the Bolton players had been out celebrating. His whine was questioning the media's attempts to question Wigan's professionalism, without once looking at Bolton.
                              Which is a suprise, since Fergiw may not have invented this particular mind game, he's certainly created the most famous reaction this way.

Comment

Jorge Porbillas wrote:
                                Am I the only one who thinks a play-off, such as they have in Serie A, is a good idea then?
                                Yes, if the rest of us have to put up with the fucking things, the Premier League should for the title, and relegation.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                                  Isn't the form for this kind of thing that the trophy should be somewhere half way up the M6, waiting to be whisked one way or the other? Mind you, it's such a tinpot looking thing, it wouldn't really matter. My daughters could knock something up with bog roll tubes and silver foil, if United really need something to parade around at Wigan tomorrow afternoon.
                                  They have a replica trophy, just in case. The proper trophy will be at the JJB (because Man U are top) and the replica will be at Stamford Bridge.

Comment

How the fuck is Paul Scholes still on the pitch?

Comment

Ok, so what we've learned from referees in high profile games today is that pushing someone in the chest is both a straight sending off offence and also worthy of no more than a bit of a talking to. Discuss.

Comment

Paul Scholes is still on the pitch, because whenever a Utd player is sent off, or a penalty given against them. Ferguson sends a team of ex-SAS soldiers to the refs house the next day, who tell the ref that they will give his children concrete shoes, and cremate his wife alive, if he does it again.

Comment

It's not like Man Utd really need the help. That's what I find so tiresome. Ferdinand gets away with a blatant handball in the box, Scholes stays on when he should be off. It's ludicrous but boringly predictable.

Comment

Yes, but the help does help, hobbes.

They are being incredibly well served by Bennett today.

Comment

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

After being refuse service in a pub today for having a Northern accent, all I can say is

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Comment

harbinger of hope wrote:
                                                whenever a Utd player is sent off, or a penalty given against them. Ferguson sends a team of ex-SAS soldiers to the refs house the next day, who tell the ref that they will give his children concrete shoes, and cremate his wife alive, if he does it again.
                                                So IT IS true...

Comment

Blatant handball? Even the Wigan players didn't think it was a handball. Because it wasn't.

Funny how the dead-cert penalty shout for United in the second half isn't being discussed in relation to Bennett doing United favours.

Scholes was a bit lucky though.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X