Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    In a 1 to 11, I would have three centre halves wear 3, 4 and 6.
    I'll forgive your 6 in defence and 4 in midfield preference, but this is just unseemly

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
      In the good old days of 1-11 Villa generally had number 4 in central defence- Ian Ross, Leighton Phillips, Allan Evans- and 6 in midfield (Dennis Mortimer, Steve McMahon). Can't see a problem with that. Now Liverpool on the other hand had 4 and 6 in defence (Smith / Thompson, Hughes / Hansen) and 5 in midfield (Cormack, Kennedy, Whelan) which is just deranged.
      Liverpool's evolved further, with 4 at right-back and 2 and 6 centre-backs by the beginning of the 1990s. Their numbering progressed due to a series of small changes over two decades.

Comment

I’ve just looked it up and Burnley would do 1-11 in the correct positions (including 4 in CM and 6 at CB) with what would be a likely starting lineup.

Comment

So there is zero in the way of consensus on the three-at-the-back thing.

Comment

Nobody wears zero.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
              So there is zero in the way of consensus on the three-at-the-back thing.
              I think there's a RdG-less consensus of 4, 5 and 6

Comment

Woah there, Donald Trump! As far as I can see it, of the four people who have expressed a preference, it is two pro 4, 5 and 6 and two against.

And all of them but me are wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                  Nobody wears zero.
                  Not any more, alas:

For those who don't follow Scottish - or Moroccan - football, that's the late, great Hicham Zerouali, who had to get special permission from the SPL to wear what might just be the best squad number ever.
                  Last edited by blameless; 19-10-2020, 14:04.

Comment

RdG seems quite firm, mind.

Comment

Woah there, Donald Trump! As far as I can see it, of the four people who have expressed a preference, it is two pro 4, 5 and 6 and two against.

So even the person who agrees with you is wrong?

Comment

He didn't agree with me entirely. He shared my far-sighted opposition to 4, 5 and 6 but had his own near-satanic 2, 3 and 5 proposition.

Comment

Hang on, your last line is more Donaldtrumpian than my consensus-claim, but at least 4,5 and 6 currently has more votes than anything else. I'll test the water with a twitter poll... once I've blocked you on twitter for 24 hours obviously
                          Last edited by Uros Predic; 19-10-2020, 17:12.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                            I'd just move the 4 in between the 5 and 6. Then your wing backs can wear 2 and 3.

Let's face it, our traditional numbers are inextricably tied to 4-4-2. The fact that almost no high level team uses that formation anymore means there have to be sacrifices, squad numbers or not.
                            What madness is this? Surely our traditional numbers are tied to the W-M formation:

2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9 10 11

I believe the young people call this the 'christmas-tree' formation nowadays.

[edit: pity I couldn't persuade the post to demonstrate the formation in diagrammatic form]

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post

Hang on, your last line is more Donaldtrumpian than my consensus-claim, but at least 4,5 and 6 currently has more votes than anything else. I'll test the water with a twitter poll... once I've blocked you on twitter for 24 hours obviously
                              Oh, so "more votes than anyone else", or the discredited First Past The Post system, is the same as "consensus" in your world?

Anyway, when you've got the results of your little twitter poll be sure to put it on a thread called 'Squad Numbers Deluded Doncaster Fans Feel Comfortable With' because this one's about me.

Nothing Trumpian about that.
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 19-10-2020, 19:04.

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post

What madness is this? Surely our traditional numbers are tied to the W-M formation:

2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9 10 11

I believe the young people call this the 'christmas-tree' formation nowadays.

[edit: pity I couldn't persuade the post to demonstrate the formation in diagrammatic form]
                                I meant how it became the 2 - 5 - 6 - 3 back four.

Comment

Oh, so "more votes than anyone else", or the discredited First Past The Post system, is the same as "consensus" in your world?
                                  Squad numbers RdG feels comfortable with (but most people really do not)...

Also, make a note of this guy and add him to any list you have of 'people not to ask whimsical hypothetical questions'...

Comment

Ha ha ha, please let him never discover this thread.

Comment

The name's Ribeiro. Everton Ribeiro.

Wearing the 007 shirt for Flamengo against Sao Paulo tonight.

Comment

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRR RRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The misalignment and unequal sizing of the numbers is bothering me almost as much as the number itself. Almost.

Comment

In a 1 to 11, I would have three centre halves wear 3, 4 and 6.
                                            Actually, that must be a typo (especially as this started with my expressed dislike of 4 in central defence).

I meant 3, 5 and 6.

Comment

On the comedy goals thread there's a clip of Willie Donachie's own goal v Wales in 1978, and Kenny Burns is wearing 22. I thought that might just be Scotland preparing for the World Cup tournament, but having checked out the Home Internationals for that year it seems squad numbers were a thing. All very sexy and continental, but not matching my memory of it at all.

When did that start (or stop)?

Comment

In lieu of being able to find a 'Squad numbers I feel uncomfortable with' thread, just stopping by here to make everyone squirm with the knowledge that Stewart Downing is wearing number 6 for Blackburn this season; a travesty for which Doncaster rightly dumped them out the FA Cup

Comment

Bleeargh, that's almost 'Lee Sharpe wearing 5' levels of wrong.

Comment

What's wrong with it?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X