No announcement yet.

Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, he's the highest I'm aware of. Kelechi Iheanacho, who appeared a bit more often, wore 72 but thankfully took 8 at Leicester.

Comment

Arsenal bring on no. 87 (Saka) in the league, which tells you all you need about Fulham's stature.

Comment

You're not necessarily wrong but Saka is a victim of Arsenal's numbering system for their academy players.

After about #35 or so, they are grouped first by age blocks then alphabetical order. Saka is a lot closer to the first team picture than most squad members numbered in the 40s and 50s (he's already played a few times in the Europa League) but he's only 17 I think and of course S is quite a way towards the end of the A-Z.

Comment

Comment

It doesn’t really count as it’s the EFL Trophy but Man City’s Ogbeta wore a 91 shirt last night while they had an unused sub McDonald with a number 97.
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 09-01-2019, 10:44.

Comment

I know UA always warns about Mexico's transgression but a keeper wearing 4, christ!
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-11-2019, 15:23.

Comment

But it is ok for Italians?

(Bucci also wore 7 at Parma)

Comment

I genuinely shuddered when I saw that.

I was recently asked to sponsor the shirt of a Welsh u18 international at Wimbledon who has just broken in to the first team squad. I had to tell them that I would have been perfectly happy to had he not already been given the number 31 - the absolute worst possible number aesthetically for an outfield player.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 26-11-2019, 16:04.

Comment

https://twitter.com/futbolbible/status/1203763907116097536?s=21
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-07-2020, 20:57.

Comment

Liverpool

62 Kelleher
                      51 Hoever
                      72 van den Berg
                      77 Boyes
                      54 Gallacher
                      57 Christie-Davies
                      68 Chirivella
                      55 Kane
                      67 Elliott
                      75 Longstaff
                      99 Hill

Substitutes

63 Winterbottom
                      65 Clayton
                      69 Dixon-Bonner
                      81 Bearne
                      84 Clarkson
                      93 Norris
                      97 Stewart
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 17-12-2019, 20:22.

Comment

Wait, what?!

https://twitter.com/bcfc_news/status/1286294064036483072?s=21

Comment

I'm embarrassed for everyone concerned with Birmingham City over that, including myself as a childhood bluenose.

Comment

Ridiculous and yes, embarrassing. His dad was a prolific goalscorer in non-league about a decade ago. I saw him play for both Stourbridge and Leamington.

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpape...-hot-shot-dad/

Comment

I wasn't expecting the NLP to use the word peripatetic.

Comment

I dislike the idea of retiring shirt numbers in the first place, it seems unspeakably American (cue pedant saying how it was a tradition of Lithuania for centuries) but the Bellingham affair is just laughable.

Mind you, I am fundamentalist about it, I believe that the team should line up 1-11, it's one thing that rugby has retained even in the face of professionalism, even if they did away with letters and other endearing eccentricities such as the full back being no 1 instead of 15, or not having a 13, or South African flankers wearing the opposite numbers to the rest of the world (actually, that's still going).

Comment

Been meaning to mention this, but so far this season our back seven have pleasingly lined up as follows...

GK: 1 Bursik

RB: 2 Halliday
                                  CB: 4 Anderson
                                  CB: 5 Wright
                                  LB: 3 James

CM: 6 Gomes
                                  CM 8: Whiteman

On top of this, twice this season we've also started with 7 and 11 in wide midfield; albeit on the wrong wings, with 11 Tulloch on the right, and 7 Taylor on the left,

Mentioning this now before Matt Smith replaces Madger Gomes in midfield and ruins everything.

Comment

I hate 4 in central defense and 6 in midfield, would genuinely rather have a number in the seventies in both positions.

Comment

In the good old days of 1-11 Villa generally had number 4 in central defence- Ian Ross, Leighton Phillips, Allan Evans- and 6 in midfield (Dennis Mortimer, Steve McMahon). Can't see a problem with that. Now Liverpool on the other hand had 4 and 6 in defence (Smith / Thompson, Hughes / Hansen) and 5 in midfield (Cormack, Kennedy, Whelan) which is just deranged.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        I hate 4 in central defense and 6 in midfield, would genuinely rather have a number in the seventies in both positions.
                                        Excuse my ignorance but where exactly are 4 and 6 supposed to go if not CD and DM ?

Comment

The other way round, 6 in central defence and 4 in midfield.

Comment

Unless it's three at the back. Unfortunately then your wide players are 2 and 3 and 7 and 11 end up in centre midfield or up front.

Comment

I was just wondering how this schema deals with three at the back.

Comment

2,3 and 5. This frees up both 4 and 6 to play midfielder and 7 and 11 can play on the flanks.

Comment

In a 1 to 11, I would have three centre halves wear 3, 5 and 6 (retrospectively edited due to horrendous typo on numbers).
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-02-2021, 16:04.

Comment

I'd just move the 4 in between the 5 and 6. Then your wing backs can wear 2 and 3.

Let's face it, our traditional numbers are inextricably tied to 4-4-2. The fact that almost no high level team uses that formation anymore means there have to be sacrifices, squad numbers or not.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X