No announcement yet.

Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 and 6 are not midfielders' numbers and certainly not wide midfielders.

Comment

I was watching Burnley v Manchester United the other night, and got to wondering, how would clubs cope if FIFA decided that next week, every team had to start their 1- 11.

Now assuming everyone was fit and available, Burnley should be fine, they nearly started with the first 11 anyway. Manchester United would have four centre backs ( one of whom is Phil Jones) with Pogba and Mata as a nostalgic two man midfield, and four attackers.

I doubt if Arsenal would be able to field a full team.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
        I was watching Burnley v Manchester United the other night, and got to wondering, how would clubs cope if FIFA decided that next week, every team had to start their 1- 11.

Now assuming everyone was fit and available, Burnley should be fine, they nearly started with the first 11 anyway. Manchester United would have four centre backs ( one of whom is Phil Jones) with Pogba and Mata as a nostalgic two man midfield, and four attackers.

Bit awkward for West Ham, who have retired the number 6, and even more so for the Milan clubs who have retired two defensive shirts each, with Inter retiring 3 & 4 and Milan retiring 3 & 6.

Comment

Now assuming everyone was fit and available, Burnley should be fine, they nearly started with the first 11 anyway
          I think if we started our preferred first team, it would be 1-3,5-11, 18. The interloper would be Ashley Westwood, who I wouldn't swap for #4 Jack Cork.

There is clearly no particular preciousness from the players about numbers, as several of them made their Clarets debuts under different numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            Bleeargh, that's almost 'Lee Sharpe wearing 5' levels of wrong.
            But not quite 'Billy Sharp wearing 5' levels wrong

Comment

Nope - Saliba (4) and Torreira (11) out on loan, not to mention the situations surrounding Sokratis (5) and Ozil (10).

Comment

Up until this morning (when we sold out number 8) we'd have been fine; in the opening games of the season we were twice within one player of fielding 1-11.

Comment

Premier League clubs that could feasibly field a 1-11:

Aston Villa
                  Burnley
                  Crystal Palace
                  Leicester City
                  Manchester United
                  Newcastle
                  Sheffield United
                  Southampton (who by the way must be applauded for their tidying up at the start of this season)
                  Tottenham Hotspur

That's actually slightly more than I would have guessed - I'd have had it at about six or seven.

Comment

If introduced in baseball the New York Yankees would be inna very difficult position - they've retired all numbers from 1 to 10. They do have a pitcher who wears 0.

Comment

Even Scunthorpe can't field a full team - number 7 is vacant after Ryan Colclough's sacking for his Taco Bell bust up with the coppers.

Comment

Number 5 in midfield has a history of sorts, Ray Kennedy and Ronnie Whelan at Liverpool, Clodoaldo and Cerezo for Brazil. For me,Clint Dempsey wearing 2 and Asamoah Gyan wearing 3 was all wrong.
                        Last edited by elguapo4; 15-01-2021, 14:02. Reason: Couldn't remember Gyans name

Comment

I noticed that Derby didn't bother with giving their under-23s squad numbers in their FA Cup tie with Chorley. They were wearing 1-11 without names on the back. Meanwhile the sixth-tier side fielded a 12, 13 and 27.

Comment

Number 5 in midfield has a history of sorts, Ray Kennedy and Ronnie Whelan at Liverpool, Clodoaldo and Cerezo for Brazil. For me,Clint Dempsey wearing 2 and Asamoah Gyan wearing 3 was all wrong.
                            I was going to go on and reference those and a few other 5 or 6 shirts on forwards when Billy Sharp was mentioned but felt sure they've been covered before in the eleven years of the thread and didn't want to wallow in the pain of it all.

Comment

Asamoah Gyan wearing 3 was all wrong.
                              Absolutely! It's almost wrong enough to forgive Suarez' handball in the 2010 world cup quarter final.

Comment

Originally posted by Uros Predic View Post
                                In lieu of being able to find a 'Squad numbers I feel uncomfortable with' thread, just stopping by here to make everyone squirm with the knowledge that Stewart Downing is wearing number 6 for Blackburn this season; a travesty for which Doncaster rightly dumped them out the FA Cup
                                He also wore 6 at Aston Villa, incidentally

Comment

This Leeds left back who wears the 10 shirt has been making me feel gradually queasier in the weeks since I first became aware of it.

Discomforting memories of Gallas' 10 at Arsenal and Ivanovic's 9 at Chelsea.

Comment

Alioski's a bit of a Swiss Army knife of a player but I think he was mostly an attacking midfielder/winger when Leeds initially signed him so giving him #10 then would have made a bit more sense.

Comment

Something that may be of interest - a new series on my site, in collaboration with OTF veteran Simon Treanor - a deep examination of Liverpool’s numbering from the mid-1980s to the early 90s

https://museumofjerseys.com/2021/02/...mbers-1985-86/

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post
                                        Something that may be of interest - a new series on my site, in collaboration with OTF veteran Simon Treanor - a deep examination of Liverpool’s numbering from the mid-1980s to the early 90s

https://museumofjerseys.com/2021/02/...mbers-1985-86/
                                        Great stuff - most people remember Liverpool's preference for a 7 up front and a 5 in midfield, but Dalglish's frequent formation changes and injuries threw up some bizarre numbering - Gary Gillespie in particular wearing 11 and 7 in defence (and Wark also dropping back wearing 8 or 10).
                                        Dalglish wearing 9 in one game surprised me, I thought if anyone "owned" a number it was him.

Comment

Originally posted by denishurley View Post

He also wore 6 at Aston Villa, incidentally
                                          Where's he playing nowadays? He was a midfield player at Villa, so 6 was perfectly OK. At Boro I think he started at left back, then played left wing.

Comment

What is the point of shirt numbers, in football, nowadays?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post

Actually, that must be a typo (especially as this started with my expressed dislike of 4 in central defence).

I meant 3, 5 and 6.
                                              Tooting & Mitcham's back three sported these numbers in Monday's London Senior Cup Final with 3 the most central. It was certainly very aesthetically pleasing.

In the same game Wimbledon had a squad of 15-18 year olds, some of whom appeared to have been given high first team squad numbers (despite not making any appearances) and some of whom had taken 1-11 or random numbers of their own.

I strongly suspect Harry Morgan comes from a Wimbledon-supporting family and presume Morgan Williams' heritage might be Cardiff fans, for the same reason :

Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-06-2021, 11:58.

Comment

Does anyone know of any special significance in Messi's 30 shirt for PSG, or is it just the first multiple of 10 currently available?
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-08-2021, 00:55.

Comment

It was his first number at Barca

Comment

Ah, spotter's badge!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X