• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Number 11 is right back, no?

Comment

Haha, bloody hell, so it is! Looked like an 8. Must go to Specsavers.

Comment

I just spotted it before you replied and was about to take the post down, but I guess I've got to live with that now.

Comment

denishurley wrote: Dishonourable mention for Liverpool too, 22 and 34 are their goalkeepers
          Would you want to inherit a number last worn by Brad Jones?

Comment

Any goalkeeper who doesn't want to wear 1 is a heathen.

Which brings me nicely to my latest plug, about the six numbers worn by Christian Abbiati for Milan - none of them 1 http://squadnumbers.wordpress.com

Comment

Two oddities for new League of Ireland season:

Stephen Folan wearing 57 for Galway United - a tribute to his father, who died last August at the age of 57, having been born in 1957.

Finn Harps goalkeeper Richard Brush has number 73, for no particular reason. The last couple of years, he was 42 for Sligo Rovers.

Comment

There is only one thing that has given me the remotest of warm feelings about Forest this season, and it is this. Since we signed Bojan Jokic on loan from Villarreal our first choice back five has been.

----3-------4-------5-------2----
                ..Jokic..Mancienne...Mills....Lichaj

----------------1----------------
                ................De Vries

Comment

Brian Clough would be pleased with that, Forest were one of the few top-division sides to have 6 in midfield in the 80s/90s

Comment

A look at which numbers are worn in which positions at Euro 2016

Comment

denishurley wrote: Brian Clough would be pleased with that, Forest were one of the few top-division sides to have 6 in midfield in the 80s/90s
                      There were others.
                      Dennis Dennis Mortimer!
                      And Liverpool often had a midfielder wearing 5: Cormack, Kennedy, Whelan... I'm not saying it's right, just saying they did.

Comment

Excellent read, that.

Comment

Search here is utterly useless. Was forced to go backwards from page 1 and look for this myself.

Anyway.

West Ham are using the novel approach of announcing their new squad numbers one by one, if their twitter account is any guide.

New boys Nordveidt (4) and Feghouli (7) are wearing ridiculous numbers for a defensive-midfielder and right-winger respectively. We all know that those should be 9 and 5 by now, surely?

Lanzini 10 - but he's an attacking midfielder...

Thankfully, Southend are along to remind us that insanity prevails, as they not only suck up to Nile Ranger's enormous ego by signing him but they then allow him to choose no. 50 as his squad number. Relegated.

I am noticing an increasing trend for centre-backs to get the European '3' alloted to them this season. Sakho and Bailly amongst those criminals.

Comment

Kryvbas Gripper Rih wrote: Search here is utterly useless.
                            Do you not use this search? I find that it works well for me.

Comment

Bailly wearing number 3 because shaw wouldn't wear it, he moved to number 23 because it was a lucky number for him, we all know what happened next

Comment

Leicester continue their recent trend of sanity by giving their new signings suitable low numbers that happen to be available, and also shifting a youngster to a lower number that was also free, ensuring 1-11 are all assigned.
                                Egomania will kick in at some point, surely?

1. Kapser Schmeichel
                                2. Luis Hernandez
                                3. Ben Chilwell
                                4. Danny Drinkwater
                                5. Wes Morgan
                                6. Robert Huth
                                7. Ahmed Musa
                                8. Matty James
                                9. Jamie Vardy
                                10. Andy King
                                11. Marc Albrighton
                                13. Daniel Amartey
                                14. Bartosz Kapustka
                                15. Jeffrey Schlupp
                                17. Danny Simpson
                                20. Shinji Okazaki
                                21. Ron-Robert Zieler
                                22. Demarai Gray
                                23. Leonardo Ulloa
                                24. Nampalys Mendy
                                26. Riyad Mahrez
                                27. Marcin Wasilewski
                                28. Christian Fuchs

Notable absentees from that list:- Ben Hamer, Ritchie De Laet, Yohann Benalouane, Liam Moore, Gokhan Inler, Tom Lawrence.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Kryvbas Gripper Rih
                                  Search here is utterly useless.
                                  Do you not use this search? I find that it works well for me.
                                  Must admit I didn't, but will try from now on - thanks.

Comment

Norwich currently have no players at 3, 4, 9 or 11.

Comment

Oldham's starting line-up, assuming a 4-4-2, looks like being numbered:

1. Ripley

2. Law
                                      3. Reckford
                                      5. Burgess
                                      26. Clarke

7. Flynn
                                      8. Banks
                                      24. Fané
                                      28. Green

9. Mckay
                                      19. Erwin

Hmm.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday. Look away now...

Number 2 is our reserve keeper, yes you read that right. 5 a midfielder. 6 a striker. 8 is someone I don't expect to feature a great deal (and who was 24 last season)

Comment

That news about your 2 shirt and the kit officially clinches Wednesday the Worst Club In The World Right Now title, no?

Comment

Is there any sort of precedent for a sub keeper wearing 2?

Comment

We have no number 2 or 3 at the moment which means that Sean Newton - a left back - wearing 11 rankles even more than usual.

Comment

Thierry Ennui wrote: Is there any sort of precedent for a sub keeper wearing 2?
                                                Didn't Argentina number some of their world cup squads alphabetically, meaning their first choice 'keeper was wearing #3?

Comment

Janik wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Thierry Ennui
                                                  Is there any sort of precedent for a sub keeper wearing 2?
                                                  Didn't Argentina number some of their world cup squads alphabetically, meaning their first choice 'keeper was wearing #3?
                                                  My summary of the Wednesday madness

A goalkeeper wearing 2 is acceptable if block-numbering is practiced

An examination of alpbetical numbering systems

Comment

I was just coming here to post a link to your Wednesday blogpost, denis, having just found it from your Twitter. Sheer lunacy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X