Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"its bus, the turtle"

I just ran the following through babelfish:

Am Freitag den 06.06.2008 spielt der FC United of Manchester gegen eine Auswahl von Marburgern in Marburg (Hessen, 220 km von hier). Von vielerlei Seiten besteht Interesse dieses Spiel zu besuchen, vor allem um mit den Engländern Kontakt aufzunehmen und ein wenig über die Entwicklung im (englischen) Fußball zu klönen, um sich mit ihnen zu solidarisieren. Der Supporters Club denkt derzeit darüber nach, anlässlich dieses Spieles seinen Bus, die Schildkröte, einzusetzen. Die Frage nun: Besteht Interesse an einer kollektiven Krötenanreise? Feedback bitte direkt an oli4@****.de ! Kröte würde gegen 14.30h/ 15h losbrausen, Rückfahrt erst 2 bis 3 Stunden nach Abpfiff....
    And all I got was this:

On Friday the 06.06.2008 the FC United OF Manchester plays against a selection of Marburgern in Marburg (Hessen, 220 km from here). From various sides interest exists to visit this play to take up above all in order with the Englishmen contact and kloenen a little over the development of (English) the football, in order to solidarize with them. The Supporters club thinks at present to use on the occasion of this play its bus, the turtle. The question now: Does interest in a collective toad journey exist? Feedback asks directly at oli4@****.de! Toad became against 14.30h/ 15h loose showers, return trip only 2 to 3 hours after Abpfiff....
    Can any lovely person out there tell me what it really means? Turtle? Toad journey? What the fuck?

I take it these Shalke fans want to hook up with us and have a disco or solidarize, or summat, but any other info would be greatly appreciated.

"its bus, the turtle"

They want to organize a trip to see you play. They are saying that the bus is slow, which is why the are calling it a tortoise. It looks like they are trying to get numbers right now.

Comment

"its bus, the turtle"

Ah, thank you very much.

So that's Shalke and Torino who dig us and should be turning up in Marburg. Super-duper.

Unless they're 'turning up' like Leeds 'turned up' at Garforth Town. In which case it's not so great.

Comment

"its bus, the turtle"

So what is the "Toad"?

Comment

"its bus, the turtle"

they shortened "schildkrote" to "krotenanreise" to describe the journey. Same thing - I think it is a bit more colloquial approach to the language.

I am sure Ursus will come on and put my (somewhat rusty) German to shame.

Comment

"its bus, the turtle"

That's exactly it, my left-handed Freund.

On Friday 6th June 2008, FC United of Manchester will be playing a local XI in Marburg (in Hesse, 220 km from here). We've had a lot of people interested in going to the game, especially to hook up with the English, have a chat about what's going on in (English) football, and to show our solidarity with them. The Supporters Club are thinking about organising a trip to the game in our bus the "Tortoise". We want to know if enough of you are interested to make it worthwhile. Please contact oli4@****.de ! The Tortoise would set off at about 2.30/3 p.m. and leave Marburg two or three hours after the final whistle...

Basically, the German word for tortoise is Schildkröte, which means "toad in a shell". The Germans love to make up unusual composite nouns, so Krötenanreise literally means "arriving there in a toad".

Comment

"its bus, the turtle"

Cheers AB.

Germany loves us. We love Germany.

Comment

Working...
              X