François Sterchele RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

François Sterchele RIP

Last night, Belgian international forward François Sterchele died at the age of 26.
    Driving much too fast (220 km/h) in his Porsche at 3am on the Knokke-Antwerp road (where the speed limit is 90km/h), he lost control of his bolid and crashed into a tree.
    It's a stupid death, and many people will say that he was looking for it, driving at such speed.

He may not be an household name for those who don't take interest inBelgian football (all of you probably) but here, he was one of the best forward of the league.

Liège lad Sterchele was a late developper in football. In 2004, he was still playing for 4th division La Calamine (Kelmis in German, one the very few clubs coming from the German-speaking part of Belgium - pop.1% of Belgium).
    Before that, he played for 7 years in the FC Liège youth teams, coming from his local club FC Loncin, near Liège.
    He was snapped by 3rd division OH Leuven in 2004-2005, helping them to promotion to division 2.
    Sporting Charleroi, of the first division, bought him the next season. His first season in the top division was a successful one, scoring 9 goals.
    He then went to Germinal Beerschot Antwerp, where he scored 21 goals, and finished as top scorer in the Belgian league last season.
    At the start of this season, he had the choice to play for any of the "big three" in Belgium; Anderlecht, home-town club Standard and FC Bruges. He went to Bruges, where he immediately became a crowd favourite.
    He scored 11 goals this season, including 2 on his debut for the club.

In March 2007, he made his international debut for Belgium, away to Portugal. In total, he played 4 times for his country.

In this divided country of ours, he played for clubs in Walloonia and Flanders, and he was a crowd favourite everywhere he went. A kind of "flash" guy, liking good-looking clothes and posh cars (it eventually killed him), he was always playing with a smile on his face.

I have never met the guy, but he seemed very friendly, and that was confirmed by the people who actually met him.

I was really shocked when I heard the news this morning on the radio.

A very sad loss.

Rest in peace François.

François Sterchele RIP

The Belgian lad who works at the desk behind me showed me that story this morning. He'd just logged onto the FC Bruges site as usual and saw it. He was really cut up about it - he said Sterchele was one of his favourite players.

What a terrible shame.

Comment

François Sterchele RIP

Driving much too fast (220 km/h) in his Porsche at 3am
      This is a tragic story and a waste of a young life. It's also infuriating that people like him can be so stupid, with not a thought for the family and friends he was always going to leave behind if he continued to drive like a cunt. Just a relief he killed no-one else with his shitty behaviour.

Comment

François Sterchele RIP

... with not a thought for the family and friends he was always going to leave behind if he continued to drive like a cunt
        Sorry, ant, but who does actually think about their family and friends as they take risks?

But anyway, young death is never a good thing, no.

Comment

François Sterchele RIP

Christ:

RIP

Comment

François Sterchele RIP

who does actually think about their family and friends as they take risks?
            That is exactly the problem.

Comment

François Sterchele RIP

Not really. I suspect not thinking about consequences when taking risks is a neccesitity. And risk taking is a key element of humans evolutionary success.

Comment

François Sterchele RIP

Surely risk taking should be balance not only against consequences but also what can be achieved. The risk/reward balance if you will. On that basis, driving at 200kmph is always stupid. What can the reward the possibly be ? A quick thrill ? Getting home half an hour earlier ? Insignificant next to the risk of death or serious injury.

Comment

François Sterchele RIP

True. Risk taking for it's own sake is pretty aberrant behaviour.
                  I don't think ant is identifying the right problem, in essence.

Comment

François Sterchele RIP

sad when anyone dies but not a lot of sympathy for anyone who drives dangerously and suffers the consequences. anyone driving like that is a cunt.

Comment

Working...
                    X