Never mind, there is always the Home Nations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wales Semi-professional squad has been named for the annual Four Nations Tournament. This year the games will be played at Rhyl, Colwyn Bay and Oswestry. The squad shows plenty of experience from previous tournaments as well as some young blood who have tasted international competition with the Under 23 International Trophy Tournament this season.

Wales squad line up:
    Lee Kendall (Rhyl), Ashley Morris (Merthyr Tydfil), Kyle Critchell (Weymouth), Gethin Jones (Bath City), Paul Keddle (Carmarthen Town), Daniel Parslow (York City), Lee Surman (Port Talbot Town), Chris Thomas (Carmarthen Town), Michael Byrne (Northwich Victoria), Adrian Harris (Bath City), Chris Holloway (Llanelli), Craig Jones (Llanelli), Craig Jone (Rhyl), Chris Venables (Welshpool Town), Chad Bond (Cf Balaguer), Les Davies (Bangor City), Graham Evans (Caersws), Rhys Griffiths (Llanelli).

Stand by players:
    Lee Idzi (Haverfordwest County), Lee Bevan (Neath Athletic), Sion Edwards (Bangor City), Paul Fowler (Carmarthen Town), Lee Hudgell (Haverfordwest County), Marc Pritchard (Llanelli).

"It's been a lot of work again for Terry (Boyle, Assistant Manager) and myself to see all of the players that we originally identified and it's been a really difficult decision to select just eighteen players, but we've gone for a squad of players that we've worked with before and it's a good blend of Youth and Experience. It will be really nice to play in front of our Home Fans and I really hope that they will turn out in force to support us. We have two Rhyl players, one from Bangor City and a couple from Mid Wales, so hopefully the locals will come out to cheer on their National Team. I'm sure that we will be playing attractive football on a great Belle Vue pitch and with it, I hope that we will be successful, so I'm really looking forward to the Tournament.". Wales manager Tony Pennock.

updated: 8:15pm Tuesday 6th May 2008

earlier:
    The FAW has announced details of this year’s semi-professional Four Nations Tournament.

In addition to hosts Wales, England and Scotland the tournament breaks new ground this year however, with the involvement of a representative side from Gibraltar. The matches will be shared around three grounds – Belle Vue (Rhyl), Llanelian Road (Colwyn Bay) and Park Hall, Oswestry (TNS).

The full match schedule is as follows:

Tuesday 20th May 2008. Wales v Scotland – Rhyl – Kick Off: 7pm, England v Gibraltar – Colwyn Bay – Kick Off: 7pm

Thursday 22nd May 2008. Wales v Gibraltar – Rhyl – Kick Off: 7pm, Scotland v England – Colwyn Bay – Kick Off: 7pm

Saturday 24th May 2008. England v Wales – Rhyl – Kick Off: 2pm, Gibraltar v Scotland – Oswestry – Kick Off: 2pm.

Admission prices for the matches will be: Adults £3, Senior Citizens & Juveniles (Under 16) £1.

This will be the seventh year of the Four Nations Tournament. In the past, the Republic of Ireland has been involved, but this year they were not able to take part. An invitation was therefore made to the Gibraltar FA and they were very happy to accept. Last year’s tournament was held in Scotland and resulted in a win for England, with Wales as runners-up. Wales last hosted the event in May 2003 when the games were played at Carmarthen, Haverfordwest and Merthyr Tydfil. The Wales squad will be managed by Tony Pennock and assisted by Terry Boyle.

updated

I was surprised to see Rhys Day wasn't in the squad ...

Comment

Admission prices for the matches will be: Adults £3, Senior Citizens & Juveniles (Under 16) £1.
      Bit mean to make the players actually have to pay to get onto the pitch.

Comment

Should be good. Bit disturbing that Colwyn Bay were chosen though. There are better grounds than Llanelilan Road, home of clubs who actually play their Football in Wales. Play them at Porthmadog or Aberystwyth.

£3's a bit cheap isn't it?!

Comment

Working...
        X