Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life doesnt get any better

Forest Promoted.
    Derby offically the worst team in Premiership history.
    Leicester relegated
    All on the same weekend.
    Forgive me but after ten years of dross I have to make the best of this the very best of times.

I love all these little squabbly arguments between the teams who've won less than 5 European Cups.

Comment

Welcome, Mr Smith, and congratulations -yes, things went rather well for your boys.

Pay no attention to Rogin - he's one of these people who think that not only does life not exist outside the big four, but that it shouldn't be allowed to, either. Because he went glory hunting one fine day and picked out Liverpool as his team, he feels he can patronise other fans and treat them with derision.

Comment

I sometimes wonder why people continue to support Liverpool, especially those who support them from afar. I presume that most of these fans grew up on a diet of constant success and great players. Nowadays they have to put up with mediocrity and a cup run each year.
        Whereas they used to be famed for understated leadership and generosity in victory, now they are known for miserable sour faced players and vulgar boardroom politics. Is it just the scarf waving, YNWA spectacle before St. Etienne..............I mean Chelsea walk onto the pitch?
        QPR, Man City, WBA and Spurs. These are the teams that finished 4th the year before Liverpool won each of their European cups in the 70's and 80's. Deep down their participation in the Champion's league has to be a little embarrassing when they are so, so far from being League champions.
        I don't really care about them, they are a distant war ina far off land (although it'll be a little closer to home now), but I used to equate Liverpool with a bit of dignity. Now they are on a par with the likes of Chelsea, in fact in some ways they are worse, because at least Chelsea don't hide behind all that 'tradition' and 'passion'.

Comment

Wow, you really do know how to twist the knife, ptang. Of course, every word you wrote here is very true.

It always comes back to me that the times I enjoyed supporting Man Utd the most was when winning a game, or the league, was a cause for genuine celebration, not a reason to be relieved. I wish I had picked a different club, one that wins things just occasionally (like Liverpool, ho ho), but that win is then so much more special.

Comment

Now they are on a par with the likes of Chelsea, in fact in some ways they are worse, because at least Chelsea don't hide behind all that 'tradition' and 'passion'.

You're right, but, in the tradition of nearly all the top four clubs, most of their fans either whinge constantly at the hardships that befall them when they're in a superb position to enjoy success or want perfectly good managers out because they haven't won anything for a year.

I refer to a letter in a past WSC where the writer listened to two 606 editions and listened to fans of this season's then FA Cup semi-finalists, where boundless joy and excitement was the tone of the callers who couldn't believe they were in the damn thing.

It was followed by a Champions League edition a few days later, where the callers sounded dissatisfied, sated and tired, as if they didn't know exactly what they wanted anymore.

I never could admire the kind of fan who's stopped truly appreciating the worth of what they've got and now expect success in much the same way you'd expect the morning paper to turn up. Not all fans are like that, but, if you listen to 606 (and fight against being hugely irritated by wankers like Lovejoy), they appear to thrive.

Comment

ant, you need to turn your irony detector up a notch.

I only take refuge in Liverpool as a way of ignoring the fact that Exeter City are going to be knocked out of the Conference playoffs at Plainmoor, of all places,in about four hours' time.

Comment

Why don't you just have Exeter as your team?

Genuine question...

Comment

It doesn't get much better than this, but I am slightly, (only very slightly) sad Leicester are down as derbies are always great days.

Having said that its funny to see another big club fall into Division 3. Following in the recent footsteps of Man City, Sheffield Wednesday, Forest, Leeds etc.

Any of the above clubs should be in the Championship at least, and to all relegation means a gross underperformance, wether it be due to bad management on or off the pitch.

I just pray Calderwood spends the summer money wisely and doesn't put us in a position to go down again.

Commons is out of contract after signing a one year extension this time last year. He is a Forest fan and he would have left had we not been promoted. Hopefully now he will renegotiate a medium term contract, with us now being in the Championship. Also Nathan Tyson only has one year left on his contract and is another player we need to resign. Bigger clubs have been sniffing around him which is always a worry when you have been a selling club in the past.

It has taken many years to undo the financial damage done by Mr Platt, who had far more backing from the Chairman than he deserved. We are on a relatively even keel financially and hope we will not get ourselves into the same overspending mess again.

Bring on the Derby, bring on the Derby...

Comment

Yeah. And let's have that massive stadium in Clifton.

I'm quite taken aback at Leicester going down. Next season won't be as good without the East Midlands Triangle of Hate.

Comment

I'm always very suspicious when players claim to support the clubs they play for.

In the case of Commons, this story may cast some doubt on the intensity of his passion for Forest.

Kris - New Contract or I'm off to Derby

Comment

Why don't you just have Exeter as your team?

Genuine question...
                        Why do all Irishmen support either Liverpool or Man United?

It's the same with Devonians. You grow up knowing that the best your local side's ever going to do is maybe knock Newcastle out of the FA Cup once every twenty years or so, so you get sucked into supporting one of the big clubs, just to take an interest in what';s going on on Match of the Day.

Mind you, today couldn't have been any better. 3-1 down on aggregate with 30 minutes to go. At their ground. And we end up winning 5-3.

Wembley for the second year running. Exeter City will have played twice at Wembley since Liverpool last played there. Who the fuck are Liverpool, anyway?

Comment

Of course, with that attitude the Devon and Irish clubs will never improve because they need people through the turnstiles to improve the facilities they have and to be able to sign better players.

Although, having never notice Rogin post about Liverpool until they beat Milan on penalties, maybe this only happenned for him in later life.

Comment

That mentality used to be the case in south Wales as well, but since our Big Two are reaching cup finals and winning leagues by 10 points 'ver kidz' are getting all local for once.

It won't last of course.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                              Why do all Irishmen support either Liverpool or Man United?

It's the same with Devonians. You grow up knowing that the best your local side's ever going to do is maybe knock Newcastle out of the FA Cup once every twenty years or so
                              Leave it out, Wurzel. I've watched football at eight different levels of the Pyramid this term (probably more than Howard Carter and Indiana Jones), but my ongoing search for some reflected groundhopping glory won't be taking in Anfield or Old Trafford anytime soon.

Phoebe- some of the clowns in the Irish League can't even sign an application form given three months notice, but otherwise well said.

Comment

Are the Glassboys the only winners you've picked this year ZdwS?

I've nailed my colours to every rotten, crumbling mast going this season. I dread to think what Poland are going to do in the Euro's (er... sorry, silent bob)

Comment

Phoebe Disco wrote:
                                  Although, having never notice Rogin post about Liverpool until they beat Milan on penalties, maybe this only happenned for him in later life.
                                  Down to you not paying attention, I guess.

Give the guy a break, for fuck's sake. I mean, it's funny how no one ever asks me if I come from Manchester now I'm glory-hunting at FC United.

Comment

Working...
                                  X