The Championship - everything to play for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I said earlier, when I first read that West Brom weren't having an open-top bus tour I was mildly disappointed but during the last couple of days I’ve just been getting angrier and angrier. Personally I, like Ian, could live without it but to deny the many thousands who wanted to go is a real disgrace

Victory parades and open-top bus tours are of no minor significance and have a real sense of history about them, and they often last in the memory longer than the season itself.

I loved those clips that one of the Cardiff OTFers posted of their bus tour last time they won the FA Cup. That’s real history that is, people will have memories of it, they will have told their children who will have told their children’s children.

Last night I was talking to someone who remembered the 1954 Cup parade in West Bromwich really well. And I once met someone who was but a baby when West Brom won the Cup in 1968 but was hoisted up to the bedroom window when the bus passed them by.

In Billy Bragg’s biography it is mentioned that his family have a ‘spot’ on a pavement in Dagenham where they traditionally stand whenever West Ham win something. (Insert joke here.)

A real cock up by the club, in my opinion, and one which sours the sweet taste of celebration. Real Madrid win something virtually every year. Do they ever feel the need to pass on a trip to Cibeles fountain to parade the trophy because their players need to go on holiday? Never. And they would get crucified if they did, quite rightly.

For shame Mr Peace – I had a lot of respect for you but you really have gone down in my estimation.

Comment

Scunny had an open top bus tour last year, how some of them never fell out I've no idea, they were hammered drunk before they got on it.

Comment

Working...
      X