The Championship - everything to play for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I can recall a set of final day fixtures as involved as today's in the Championship. Of the 12 fixtures, it seems only two have no bearing at all on either automatic promotion, play-off places, or relegation - the games between already-relegated Scunthorpe and Colchester, and between Cardiff and Barnsley.

For me, the crucial game will be at Stoke, who need at least a point to secure promotion. In so doing, they could leave Leicester at risk of the drop, because if Southampton beat Sheffield United (themselves chasing three points for an outside play-off chance) Leicester would go down. I've never seen either Leicester or Southampton as low as the third tier, so for either to go would be somewhat poignant.

It's still possible that Southampton, Leicester, Sheffield Wednesday and Coventry could all win, which means Blackpool, if they lose at home to Watford, could still go down despite starting the day 17th.

I'm glad I'm not a fan of any of the teams involved, I get the feeling this afternoon is going to be one of those calculators at the ready jobs that is going to turn with every single goal. It's going to be a fascinating afternoon to be a neutral.

I'm off to Ipswich v Hull shortly, one of those games where there is theoretically much at stake for both sides, but realistically we are both likely to end up pretty much where we start the afternoon.

Comment

My prediction is that Southampton will win, Leicester and Stoke will draw, and Wednesday will lose at home to Norwich, sending us down.

Apparently we've sold out the ground, which is the first time that's happened for years. They'll be close to 40,000 there.

Comment

I've never seen either Leicester or Southampton as low as the third tier, so for either to go would be somewhat poignant.
        In Leicester's case, that is hardly suprising. Since joining the league in 1894, they have never been outside the top two leagues. That is the legacy that the current team and coaches are on the point of pissing away.
        Southampton have been that low before, but not since 1960.

Comment

There was no superstition involved in that post, was there andy? Trying to jinx the nightmare scenario out of existence, eh?

Stoke-Leicester is too confusing for me, so I'm supporting Ipswich and Sheffield United instead. If they can do the necessary, then the game at the Brit is irrelevant.

Ipswich will have the best home record in the Championship come the end of the season, whatever happens today. 14-7-1 so far. That is what faces Hull. Surely, surely, they can't win at Portman Road.

As for the Blades, Beattie has to be nailed on to score the winner that relegates Southampton. Doesn't he?

Comment

There was no superstition involved in that post, was there andy?
            Actually, no, just profound pessimism and concern

Noj, who lives in Leicestershire, has said that most of the letters/texts/emails/phone-ins to the local media are full of people saying essentially "We've never been down there before, so we won't now. We're too big for that".

This, as you can imagine, has not endeared Leicester City to him, and he's moved steadily into the "hope LCFC go down" camp. I suspect Ian Holloway has something to do with it too.

Comment

If Preston can contain Bristol City to a one-goal win at Ashton Gate, City will be in the playoffs despite a minus goal difference for the season. In fact, if Preston win this afternoon, and then City go through the playoffs with say a one-goal aggregate win in the semis and a one-goal win in the final, City will be promoted despite a negative goal difference for the whole campaign. That's got to be unprecedented, hasn't it?

Comment

Seriously? From what I've heard, most of the message to the local media ar more along the lines of "We've never been down there before, but that is going to change this Sunday. We're too big for that, Ollie out!". Certainly that is the tone that Holloway mentions in the interview the Guardian ran with yesterday.

I would have thought, given the massive gift of three points last saturday, most Wednesday fans have a warm fuzzy feeling towards Leicester at the moment.

Comment

Ipswich will have the best home record in the Championship... 14-7-1 so far. That is what faces Hull. Surely, surely, they can't win at Portman Road.

But it's a less impressive 6-7-1 since the autumn. Hull, needing to win, will attack, and we're still fragile at the back. An away win wouldn't surprise me greatly.

Comment

But you've still only lost once, right? Have faith. Please...

Comment

This is Stoke's best chance of getting to the Premiership since their one play-off qualification, in 1995/96. And their chances that season ended... with a home defeat by Leicester City.

True, that was in the play-off semis, and it was a Leicester team managed by Martin O'Neill, not Ian Holloway, but still, not a great precedent for the Potters today.

Gulp. Half-an-hour. I better go find a pub showing the Championship. Which might be quite hard in Hertfordshire when Arsenal are also on on TV at the same time...

Comment

not sure norwich will take points off wednesday. roeder has talked about doing the decent thing and going for the win but after securing safety last week i reckon the players will be in holiday mode, and probably trying to set dion dublin up for a goal in his last ever game rather than really trying to grind out a result

Comment

Yeah right. One nil down already.

Comment

heh. sorry

Comment

Phew. Got it back.

Comment

So a half time round up:

Soton are currently still going down, but sound like they're playing their socks off against Sheffield Utd, and are 1-1. Leicester seem to be hanging on to a point by the skin of their teeth, 0-0 at Stoke. Wednesday sound like we're very lucky to be drawing with Norwich. Cov are losing and Blackpool are winning. All of them could still go down.

At the less personally obsessed end of the table, West Brom are still top (and playing against 10 men), Stoke can't seem to score, but will be going up anyway. Hull drawing at Ipswich. Bristol City and Palace guaranteed play-off spots. Watford hanging in there despite losing to Blackpool

Comment

West Brom are one-nil up now. Southampton have turned it around and are beating Sheffield United two-one, so as it stands Leicester are down.

Comment

Wednesday and Southampton lead. Leicester still hanging on at Stoke. Cov 3-1 down. A Leicester goal and Coventry drop into the bottom three - with a staggering 53 points.

Comment

Watford down to ten men and then immediately score.

Wednesday, bizarrely, are currently in 16th place in the live table. There's no way that will last.

Comment

Lyra must be having kittens. Sheffield United equalised against Southampton at 3.27pm and Southampton took the lead again at 3.29pm.

Comment

Southampton up 3-2 now. Must be an incredible game to be at.

Comment

3-1 for us. Surely that's enough? Please.

Comment

Saints down to ten men. Last five minutes are going to be insane there and at Stoke.

Comment

4-1 now. what did i tell you?

Comment

I should never have doubted. Even Leon Clarke getting in on the act. Magic.

Staying up, staying up, staying up....

Comment

Working...
                                                  X