Football grounds visited without seeing a match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once went to a bonfire night do at Chesham United's ground. Never seen a match there, though.

Molyneux, for some awful conference.

Comment

I got on a bus to go and look at Fiorentina's ground when I was staying in Florence for a bit. I got off the bus, it was pissing down with rain. "Yep, there it is," I thought, and got on the next bus back.

Comment

A cousin's wedding reception was at Gillingham's Priestfield Stadium last year. I was surprised at how plush the place was, which is probably more to do with my snobbery about lower leagues - "they have tablecloths in League Two!"

Comment

I've been to various events at Don Valley Stadium over the years but not a Rotherham match.

Also I once went into Rennes' ground through an open gate on a quiet Sunday morning and took a few photos.

Comment

I won a business award at a ceremony held at the emirates last year. Unless teh FA Cup intervenes I can't imagine going there again.

Comment

Oh, and I used the underground carpark at Stamford Bridge, so I could repair a boiler in the house next door.

Comment

Old Trafford, to meet up with my dad who had been at a conference in the business lounge overlooking the pitch. And I saw a firework display at Burnden Park once.

Comment

I've been to both Maine Rd and Eastlands for gigs but not a game. I must have been to FC Nurnburg's ground half a dozen times for the same reason and the only football I've ever seen is a Germany v Finland qualifier in the director's box.

Comment

On TV, I should add, in case anyone is worried about the crush.

Comment

I finished the Sutton Half-Marathon at Sutton Utd's Gander Green Lane ground but I've never seen a game there.

Comment

Me and a mate went to watch the Errea Cup in Mantua with Modena & Middlesbrough as the two other participants, but we used Verona as our base. We had a wander up to the main stadium in Verona (really don’t know if only Hellas play there of Chievo too, but lots of unflattering Flying Donkeys graffiti about). It wasn’t a match day so didn’t go in, but was tickled to see an Indian/South Asian family playing cricket on one of the greens around the ground.

And I’ve never been to Anfield, but on one of my many trips to Goodison I’ve drunk in a pub in the shadow of it.

I’ve passed a few others fairly closely obviously without going to a game – a mate lived near Brisbane Road for instance.

Comment

Both Hellas and the other lot play at the Bentegodi.

That's pretty much top of the alternate Grounds I Really Must Go To thread.

Comment

Pisa FC
                            Stadio Olimpico, Roma
                            We walked into Pisa's ground and sat in the stand for a few minutes. It was better than being stopped by an armed security guard trying to look into Roma's ground.

Nou Camp
                            Olympic Stadium, Barcelona
                            Vicente Calderon
                            Bernabeu
                            Sporting Lisbon (Well, I looked into the ground from the shopping centre/cinema that it's attached to)
                            Charleroi stadium
                            Stirling
                            Falkirk
                            Alloa
                            Hampden
                            Just general stadium tours or squinting through fences.

Comment

Oh, and I don’t want to upset anyone but I’ve walked past the remains of Plough Lane and peered through the railings on the way to Wimbledon dogs.

Comment

My company did alot of deliveries to the Ricoh Arena at Coventry, but I've never visited the finished article.

Comment

Was that meant for the 'Football grounds not visited and not seen a match' thread?

Comment

Sorry, did that seem confusing, whast I was trying to say was I went to the Stadium during the building a few times, but not since it was finished.

Comment

Highbury for a mate's wedding. Surprisingly poor venue, more suburban golf club than premiership powerhouse.

The Olympic Stadium in Munich, though I bottled out of the "elevated" tour that allows you climb up on the roof.

Comment

Anfield, back in the mid-1980s.

Was surprised at how small the pitch was.

Comment

Oh, Hampden for a gig too, it had two tone purple fluorescent tube lights everywhere. What's that about?

Comment

I have only been to the Racecourse to see Motorhead, Twisted and Tank which is ridiculous (not that I went for those rather that I haven't seen a match there)

I am sure that someone, well Harry, will enlighten me but Status Quo did a gig either at Selhurst Park or the Valley which I attended and I have never been to a match at the Valley.

I went to that new Faro/Loule stadium just to have a look around.

Comment

Carrow Rd
                                              City Of Manchester Stadium
                                              Hampden Park
                                              Maine Rd
                                              Old Trafford
                                              Ricoh Arena
                                              St Andrews
                                              New Wembley

Comment

bernabau - stadium tour
                                                siena - jumped over the wall on a thursday lunchtime
                                                ricoh arena - course
                                                burnham FC - christening

how many have ninian park for the popes visit?

Comment

It was Selhurst, Bored.

I am going to be dredging these out of my memory for weeks unless we put a ban on gigs; Koln's ground and Stade de France are two more I've just remembered.

Being in a football ground for a gig is a truly depressing experience, it seems like the venue is taunting you with the fact that it was built for a far better purpose than the one you're there for.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X