Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scorers at both Wembley Stadiums

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
    So is Ljungberg, in theory. Maybe if he goes to play for Notts County in the winter and ends up in the LDV Vans final...
    a route that could also be taken by Robbie Fowler, among others!

Comment

Timewaster wrote:
      Nick(y) Barmby scored twice for England schoolboys vs Bulgaria at Wembley way back in 1989.

He didn't score when he last played at the new stadium in the 2008 playoff final but I suppose he's on the "theoretically possible double scorers" list
      Yes, I think that was his best chance. Any other England schoolboys score there in the 1990s??

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
        The U-21s apparently never played at old Wembley.
        They might have, on the 16th October 1990 and 27th April 1988.

To take this totally off topic for a brief moment, I'm most interested by the venue for the friendly against Denmark on the 8th October 1999. Presumably a 4-1 win led to some pretty wild celebrations of the 'can't remember where we were last night' variety.

Comment

SamLKelly wrote:
          Antonio Gramsci wrote:
          The U-21s apparently never played at old Wembley.
          They might have, on the 16th October 1990 and 27th April 1988.

To take this totally off topic for a brief moment, I'm most interested by the venue for the friendly against Denmark on the 8th October 1999. Presumably a 4-1 win led to some pretty wild celebrations of the 'can't remember where we were last night' variety.
          The 16/10/90 game was played at White Hart Lane but I can't find any record of the 27/4/88 game.

The 8/10/99 game was played at Valley Parade, Bradford, presumably chosen because of its close proximity to Leeds, who supplied nearly half the team:

Robinson, Mills, Upson, Carragher, S.Johnson, Bowyer, Gerrard, Hendrie, Chadwick, Bridges, A.Smith (subs Cort, L.Young, D.Thompson, Ball).

It's hard to imagine many squads better suited to "wild celebrations" or that would go on to enjoy so many court appearances over the following decade

Comment

Another thing about the new Wembley, is that the record for the fastest goal there has already been beaten. I thought that Gianpaulo Pazzini's effort after 33 seconds for Italy's U-21 side would have stood for a while. He scored it in the first competitive match at the new stadium in a 3-3 draw with England.

But just 2 years later, Louis Saha scored after 25 seconds in the FA Cup Final to claim the record. I think it's safe to say that Saha may hang onto the record for some time.

Comment

Kevin Phillips added his name to the list at the 2013 Playoff final for Crystal Palace vs Watford.

He had previously scored for Sunderland in their defeat to Charlton in 1998.

Comment

Working...
              X