TuscHUNy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TuscHUNy

It all depends, I suppose, on what you want to see. If it's a mediocre team stuck in their own half and waiting for penalties from minute one, then you will have rejoiced at tonight's game.

If you're a Rangers fan, or a Britophile, you'll be delighted. If you're anyone else, you must be dismayed.

Comment

TuscHUNy

I used to think that there was no club in the world I hated more than Glasgow Rangers, but Bayern's humiliation in St Petersburg more than compensates for the inconvenience of Rangers smuggling their nasty asses into the final.

And imp is quite right: the fact that a European final is contested by clubs from two countries that don't habitually reach finals should be a cause for some measure of satisfaction.

Let's hope Rangers get stitched up just as badly as Celtic were in their final a few years ago.

Comment

TuscHUNy

But they've done what only one Scottish team has managed in 25 years.
        What would that be, imp? Reach a European final while being managed by a man called Smith?

Comment

TuscHUNy

How can anyone but a Rangers fan can be excited about this awful team...ITV are just ridiculous in their flagwaving.

That's the truly bad news: that Peter Drury will be going to Manchester with them.

I was on the PC last night (no, it's not a drinking euphemism) and had the telly on. And I spent most of it wishing Peter Drury dead. The obsequious, rose-tint dealing, arse-licking, cheer-leading cunt.

Comment

TuscHUNy

If you're a Rangers fan, or a Britophile, you'll be delighted. If you're anyone else, you must be dismayed.
            why? because now the total football of the fiorentina of mutu, vieri and liverani will not be on show in the final? spare me.

maybe now mutu will realise that "anti-football" bollocks is best saved for after you've actually won. (or after you've lost if you're barcelona).

Comment

TuscHUNy

Rangers are eye-gougingly awful to watch, but let's face it - that's realistically the only way they can play at this level.

Fiorentina on the other hand have a myriad of viable attacking options, but were so shit-scared of losing the away goal that they constantly left three or four guys at the back to mark one Rangers striker (Jørgensen only got forward after Cousin was sent off, and La Viola still had two defenders marking no striker at that point) - meaning they were constantly outnumbered at the other end of the pitch and allowing journeymen like Broadfoot and Hemdani to double-up on (and disposess) Liverani or Pazzini or Mutu.

Don't feel sorry for Fiorentina, they only have themselves to blame for this - if they hated Rangers' style of play so much, then they shouldn't have copied so much of it, should they?

maybe now mutu will realise that "anti-football" bollocks is best saved for after you've actually won

Absofuckinglutely.

Comment

TuscHUNy

garcia wrote:
                why? because now the total football of the fiorentina of mutu, vieri and liverani will not be on show in the final? spare me.
                It's true Fiorentina weren't exactly free-flowing. I kept mishearing their flamboyant Polish playmaker as Liberaci.

Comment

TuscHUNy

it's like getting to watch Scotland vs France every week, complete with outraged squeals from the defeated favourites.
                  A prophet of our times, no less!

Comment

TuscHUNy

Like I said yesterday, the apocalypse is imminent.
                    Fucking right it is. 14th May 2008. In Manchester. Those poor fuckers having to put up with yet another Glaswegian invasion. Still, at least they're playing at the Blue Camp.

Comment

TuscHUNy

Why are Zenit so good? 4-0 (5-1 agg) very a very good Bayern team is outstanding. I know there is a lot more money in Russian football these days, but who have they got? Skrtal is from Zemit I think?

Comment

TuscHUNy

Colour drains from Manchester City Council officials' faces as they realise what's about to hit them

I love the soundbites like "we're going to give them a warm Manchester welcome" and "fans will be ambassadors", as the police dog handlers cancel all leave and businesses start putting up steel shutters.

Comment

TuscHUNy

If its any consolation, i'd imagine the moscow police are also cancelling leave as we speak

Comment

TuscHUNy

I imagine the meeting to sort out security for the final would have been fun:

Council person (CP): "Hmmm. Not the two best-behaved sets of fans in Europe. How do we keep order?"

Chief constable (CC): "My lads will work with Immigration and the Russian police to keep the worst of the Zenit troublemakers out."

CP: that sounds splendid. And what about the Rangers fans?

CC: well, we can refuse them visas if they haven't got a valid match tic- ah, no, hang on. Er...

Stadium official (SO): how about if we restrict ticket sales to UK addresses only?

CP: how does that help exactly?

SO: Um... I don't know. Sorry.

CP: I suppose re-fortifying Hadrian's Wall is out of the question?

CC: I think we'll just have to handle it with tact and careful policing. You know, like we did when Roma visited Old Trafford.

CP: you mean indiscriminately beat the shit out of them?

CC: Yes.

Comment

TuscHUNy

Has anyone else seen these quotes from Advocaat?

From here.

"Unfortunately the club also have a hard core of racists among their supporters. Zenit are the only club in Russia never to have signed a black player, and their fans were accused of racist taunts during the Uefa Cup win over Marseille earlier this season.

Marseille defender Ronald Zubar said: "They threw a banana at us and made monkey sounds."

Manager Dick Advocaat has even admitted that the fans' attitude has affected his transfer policy.

"The problem is our fans," he says. "I would be happy to sign anyone but the fans don't like black players.

"I don't understand how they could pay so much attention to skin colour. For me, there's no difference between white, black or red.

"But the fans are the most important thing Zenit have. That's why, in future, I have to ask them outright how they'll react if we sign a dark-skinned player.

"If the fans don't agree with me, I won't do it. I won't buy a player who won't be accepted by the fans."

Then there is this lovely turn in fancy dress from the St. Petersburg terraces:

Comment

TuscHUNy

This is almost certainly the most unpleasant European final match-up there's ever been.

Comment

TuscHUNy

That's an interesting question.

My personal nadir has always been Real Madrid - Juventus, but that was primarily personal antipathy towards each of the clubs.

What are the other contenders?
                                  Berlusconi's Milan vs Ceaucescu's Steaua (or Tapie's OM)?

You are probably right, though, at least in terms of odiousness of the "hard core" support.

Comment

TuscHUNy

Now I know why these guys are trying to expand into Russia:

Comment

TuscHUNy

I'm not sure that reflects very well on Advocaat.

Comment

TuscHUNy

A Russian contact is most unhappy at the portrait of Zenit in the British press, and has questioned the veracity of the Advocaat quotes, but then he is a Zenit supporter. In the event that anyone here speaks Russian, the original source for the Advocaat quotes was this blog post.

Both sets of supporters have their undesirable elements, that's for sure. However, from a football point of view, after watching both semi-final second legs there's only one choice for me. I nearly fell asleep during the Rangers match. I wish I had done to be honest.

Comment

TuscHUNy

despite my loathing for "them"..I do feel ever so slightly sorry for them having their day in manchester rather than somehwere a tad warmer and exotic :-) and it's a travesty playing a final in such a small stadium..and it's going to go against much of what I believe in to support the russians..never thought I'd find myself wanting Fernando Rickson to have a good game :-(..i'm just going to have give Zenit the benefit of the doubt about their nastier fans being a minority..might have a sneaky bet on the gers to soften any blow...
                                          my heart goes out to the poor folk of manchester..

Comment

TuscHUNy

EIM, no it doesn't, does it? At least saying so in public (if he did indeed do so).
                                            But then again, it's probably academic. It's fairly difficult to believe any black player would be interested in playing for them, given the readily available pictures of their fans.

Comment

TuscHUNy

There are apparently no hotel rooms available in Preston tonight (or tomorrow), because as the train-travelling Glasgow fans have realised that they had to change at Preston anyway to get to Manchester, and Preston's hotels are about half the price, they're all staying there. I've not been into Preston today, but despatches back from people who have suggest that the whole town centre tonight was a sea of blue shirts, kilts and orange wigs.

Comment

TuscHUNy

I live in Preston, on the same road as a hotel. I just went past about 50 of them.

Comment

TuscHUNy

Sieg Heiling behind an Israel flag? Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X