Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things you don't see much in the modern game

Player-managers.

Certainly not the vogue for Premiership sides, are there exceptions in the top tiers of other European Leagues? Was Vialli the last in the PL? And who was the last to win a trophy, Dalglish?

I'm not sure what the situation is like in the other divisions. I'm sure I used to see many more of them when I was growing up. They seemed to become less obvious around the same time the 110 bus stopped stopping at the bus stop near my house. I'm tempted to do some sort of correlation exercise.

Really good shin-hacking drop-balls.

Comment

Fans scrawling team changes on the back of their matchday programme.

Comment

I don't think there are any at the moment in the Football League. Last season there were three in the PL&FL - Gareth Southgate, Jim Magilton and Darren Ferguson - but they elected not to pick themselves.

Comment

All-English CL finals.

Comment

beards and headbands.

Comment

Defenders taking goalkicks (not including when the keeper is injured).

Comment

At all. The half-time score board - you needed the programme to relate the scores to the games. The tension could be excrutiating as the old bloke hanging them up dawdled along, paused, had a fag, continued ... I'm talking Elm Park here.

Comment

Nigel Clough, strangely, is still registered as a player for Burton Albion and has his own squad number. He doesn't pick himself any more.

Anyway: animals getting on the pitch (presumably Premier League clubs now have trained marksmen who shoot all animals before they get in the view of the television cameras, lest they detract from the spectacle), shirts without sponsors (I saw someone wearing sponsorless shirts the other day, but I can't remember for the life of me who it was - it looked a bit strange, I thought) and people on the pitch with microphones.

Comment

Refs in black. Wasn't this done so that they seemed less of a remote and unapproachable figure?

The result has just been that they just look silly and players don't fear them, they fear the players. They should go back to black - preferrably with evil mask and spikes and stuff - to let players know "don't fuck with me, worthless human". Like that Collina guy.

Comment

Ropey Scottish goalkeepers.

Comment

white dog shit.

oh, wait..

Comment

Short shorts.

Comment

Ropey Brazilian goalkeepers.

Comment

Keepers picking up backpasses. Obviously.

Comment

Goalkeepers not wearing gloves.

Comment

Conrinthian Values

Comment

Players managing to go through a whole half of fooball without drinking copious amounts of sports drinks every time play halts.

Managers smoking in the dugout.

Comment

Brylcreem.

Comment

Goalkeepers bouncing the ball every few seconds before booting it.

Physios running on to the pitch with a bucket of water and "magic" sponge.

Quick throw-ins taken about 3 or 4 yards behind the line.

Comment

Player managers is a great observation, I can't think of any in top level Portuguese football. The last prominent one I can think of in English football, who actually played, is Andy Hessenthaler at Gillingham.

Do you think they receive two pay-cheques for each job?

Comment

Goalkeeper's shorts and socks that match the rest of the team, or has that been outlawed?

Comment

twohundredpercent wrote:
                                              Anyway: animals getting on the pitch (presumably Premier League clubs now have trained marksmen who shoot all animals before they get in the view of the television cameras, lest they detract from the spectacle)

Comment

Arsenal winning trophies

Comment

toilet rolls streaming onto the really really muddy pitch.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X