Last chance to see Man United in the 2008 CL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mean, they're going out, aren't they? As per.

Yup.

Comment

by the way:

9 viewing this thread: Pan Tau , Bored Of The Dance , Bored Of The Dance , Pan Tau , EIM , Bored Of The Dance , Pan Tau , (1) Guest

I feel a little left out.

Comment

By the way, I was one character away from being able to use 'Manchester' in the thread title. Any chance of increasing the limit?

Comment

I opened this thread for the first tome about four minutes ago. How can OTF say that I was looking at something I didn't even know existed?

And are they ever going to change the font to Verdana?

Comment

It'll deffo be my last chance to see Man U in the Champions League this season, because I'll be busy on the night of the final when they play Chelsea. It's doomed to happen. Accept it.

Comment

The score will be 0-1. Tomorrow night the score will be 0-0. Now go read a good book or something.

Comment

I hope the football is as exciting as the Nike "TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL" ad.

Less than a minute in and Scholes clatters Messi just outside the box. Cracking stuff.

Comment

And Scholes scores a belter.

Comment

Fantastic goal. Perhaps Harry will eat some humble pie.

Comment

That is a cracking goal. Fantastic slow motion view of that too.

Comment

Terrible, terrible play by Zambrotta to play a pass like that straight to Scholes. Amazing hit.

Good shot by Messi, and good save.

Comment

What's up with the aerial cam? Did UEFA outsource their production to ESPN's MLS crew?

Comment

I was about to post i think man u will win tonight (despite my view 0 0 away is crap)

but barca are shit away (and are fucking wankers, not that that affects the result)

2-0 utd

Comment

As you know, i would not have wanted Scholes in this team and feel the midfield is a bit too light.

Personally, i would have played Giggs and Anderson instead of Park and Scholes, however not withstanding that, a great strike and Man U are using the correct tactic of pressing the barca DM position as well as putting in some arial balls for Barca who are crap in the air and have a keeper who flaps.

If they had done this last week, they would have wrapped that up 2-0.

This game will be settled from 50min on when Barca will have to make a sub and it is Fergie's response to bringing on Henry that will swing it.

Comment

Terrific cross by Park for Nani. Should have scored and that would have been it.

Comment

Anyway, it was a fairly good match, albeit with entirely the wrong result. Why did Ferguson decide to play the entire tie as defensively as possible, when his team's big strength seems to be going forward? (And the opposition's weakness is in defence)I'm a little baffled. I mean I guess he'd claim justification, but it was a performance that basically typified what AIATL thinks Italian teams do all the time.

Comment

Not to mention Liverpool.

Comment

Although he didn't actually manage to break down the Man Utd defence, there were enough flashes of skill last night to show that Messi is gifted enough to become one of the absolute all time greats. he really is a wonderful player.

Comment

Told you.

Comment

Nil a fhios agam wrote:
                                          Fantastic goal. Perhaps Harry will eat some humble pie.
                                          So twatting it in from 30 yards when the opposition go AWOL is the true mark of quality midfield play? Is that why we all praise Gerrard so highly?

Comment

It's a shame that #1209's not here, 'cos he could tell us why this Manchester United performance was so different to Rangers' performances in Europe this season...

Comment

Barcelona were pretty wretched throughout, with the exception of Messi. Eto'o was very quiet, which is testament to the good job Brown and Ferdinand did I suppose. I found it extremely strange to see Henry defending in his own half and even more strange when he kicked the ball out of play for a corner. Barca were typically adept at keeping the ball up to about 20 yards from goal, but didn't have anything to offer. They were relying far too much on Messi to conjure up something magical.
                                              United's defending was magnificent, they chased everything, with Tevez and Park doing outstanding work

Comment

Can anyone explain what Barcelona might actually have been trying to do over the two legs of the semi (and, I gather in their league games recently)?

To have such a preponderance of possesion and resolutely refuse to shoot when there were plenty of oportunities just seems perverse. How exactly did they think they were going to win the tie, actually having Messi dribble the ball over the line?

They must have realised some time ago that Eto'o is not the player of recent seasons (have you ever seen anyone so sanguine about being subbed in a European Cup semi-final?) so wasn't going to achieve anything, why did their other forward-thinking players not take it upon themselves to shoot more? Henry may be a huge dissapointment but in both legs of the ties he at least looked like he realised van der Sar should be tested.

Still, I got a nice Ice Cube earworm out of them.

Edit: bit of a cross-post with Robw

Comment

Clive Tyldesley was great as usual. He refused to tell us something useful, like who was on a yellow card going into the match, for fear of tempting fate, but he was happy to tell us that his neighbours were from Barcelona.

Yeah, thanks, Clive. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X