Excellent manger fired for second time in 2 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[url=http://[/url]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7370698.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/7370698.stm

The mind boggles as much as the heart dispairs...

Just you wait until you see who they have lined up to replace him.

Robert Mugabe.

Comment

I presume you're not the Sonny Pike?

Comment

It's Peter Reid all over again. Just you wait, they'll be losing to Sheffield Wednesday, Stockport and Macclesfield before the London Olympics.

Comment

What an idiotic decision. Putting aside the ethical issues surrounding him, from a purely footballing point of view this doesn't augur at all well for Shinawatra's tenure.

Comment

At least Keegan's otherwise involved.

Comment

Allow me to be the first to float the (completely unsubstantiated) Roberto Mancini to Man City rumour.

Comment

For all his foreignness, he seems keen to continue a grand old City tradition of shooting the club in the foot.

Comment

"... with former Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari already touted as a replacement for Eriksson"

What's the betting they end up with Steve McClaren?

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
                    Allow me to be the first to float the (completely unsubstantiated) Roberto Mancini to Man City rumour.
                    That's been going round the City boards for a little while.

I'm disappointed but not shocked. My club's long standing reputation for crass stupidity at boardroom level is simply displaying itself again.

Make that hugely disappointed.

Comment

Scolari has never managed a European club, and hasn't managed a club of any variety for more than seven years. Add to that the fact that when he was managing club sides in Brazil, he never stayed in one place for more than three seasons.

All of which means he's nailed on for the job, I guess.

Comment

This is remarkable. But hugely expected. They finally get a manger who *isn't* typically city, and they have to get rid of him.

Mind, for a season I thought Stuart Pearce was alright, but then he signed a toy horse and played a 'keeper upfront.

Comment

Jose wouldn't... would he?

Comment

Incredible. They're on their way back down, having successfully arrested the upward slide that set in under Sven.
                            And we thought Peter Swales knew nothing about football ?

Comment

Statto - no, he wouldn't.

Comment

EIM wrote:
                                This is remarkable. But hugely expected. They finally get a manger who *isn't* typically city, and they have to get rid of him.

Mind, for a season I thought Stuart Pearce was alright, but then he signed a toy horse and played a 'keeper upfront.
                                I think you'll find Bernardo Corradi was a realhorse.

You know I'm really and truly gutted about this. This is a grade A balls up - Eriksson is a very good coach and a top bloke and our reputation for idiocy was marginalised when he was in charge. He gave us credibility and a bit of long term hope. And he liked it here, too.

Just when you think you're of an age and experience when stuff like this shouldn't matter too much....you realise it still does.

Football - sometimes I really hate it.

Comment

All the big guns and City grandees are manoeuvring...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7373404.stm

Comment

He's right, mind, is Gallagher. But what does Curly Watts make of it?

Comment

statto99 wrote:
                                      Jose wouldn't... would he?
                                      I rather think we'll be trading down this time.

Comment

Shinawatra is a reasonable man but Sven didn't win the league so he's out on his arse.

Fair enough I say.

Comment

I hear Dunne could be off as he only has a year left on his contract. Putting that and Sven's departure together would lead you think to that Shinawatra is cost-cutting since his future in Thailand is a lot more secure than it was. Problem with that idea is that it would cost a lot to pay off Sven.

Comment

Dunne's reportedly a target for Keegan at Newcastle.

Comment

Shinawatra is a reasonable man but Sven didn't win the league so he's out on his arse.

Fair enough I say.
                                              Laugh out loud moment of the day.

Comment

I believe Phil Neal is out of a job.

Comment

once again Sven gets paid a huge amount for doing very little. I want to be sven goran eriksson. By the end of these negotiations, sven will have received 48 months pay for nine months work since the 2006 world cup. That's just incredible.

This is a weird one. A lot of people are talking about the great job he did at man city, but I'm not sure that it is as straightforward as that.

On the plus side Man city are five places ahead of where they were last season. City have scored 15 more goals than last season. They beat man utd home and away in the league. They have developed a reputation as a team with a solid defence. They have a number of promising young players coming through from the youth academy.

However, on the down side, city have already conceded as many goals as they did throughout the whole of last season. Sven didn't actually improve the defence that much at all. The fifteen more goals came after spending £34 million on an assortment of strikers and wingers. It would now appear that Sven just grafted a couple of better attackers onto the front of the same defensive unit that City had last season and has reaped the rewards of the defensive organisation that was there already.

Under Sven made three good signings, Elano, Corluka and Petrov. They were unlucky with Bojinov and fernandes looks like a decent player, but Sven also spent a small fortune on Rolando Bianchi, Benjani and Feliepe Caciedo.

Caciedo is an odd one, City paid out over £5 million for a striker who averaged a goal every four games for Basle, and at best would appear to be the equadorean emile heskey. Meanwhile he shipped Ishmael miller off to West Brom where he appears to have become the sort of player that Caciedo might someday be.

But either way, Sven has once again meandered into a highly paid job, and received a slightly disporportionate amount of praise by (a) taking credit for organising a rather talented defence (b) played rather negative counter attacking football with no real plan for when they had the ball, or went a goal behind (c) blooded a lot of youngsters prompting hopes of a golden generation (d) shown no real flair when it comes to choosing forwards (e) achieved the minimum expected of him, (f) burnished his reputation by a couple of fortunate big wins (g) got himself a big old pay off. A huge one.

Does it sound familiar?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X