Donadoni @ Birkbeck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donadoni @ Birkbeck

Is anyone else going along to this tonight?

http://www.bbk.ac.uk/manop/management/mscmres/sb/seminars/rdonadoni.shtml

Donadoni @ Birkbeck

I would do, but have an NCT ante-natal class to attend.

Comment

Donadoni @ Birkbeck

That's look good. Not as good as my original thought upon seeing the thread title that Donadoni was going to be at E10 and Oolon's local.

Comment

Donadoni @ Birkbeck

It was a bit of a strange evening. Donadoni, as far as I could tell, said little about club versus country but instead answered a lot of questions about the comparitive merits of English and Italian football, the novelty of him being the Italian manager at a mere 42 years old and his likely job prospects post Euro 2008. I say "as far as I could tell" given that the translator appeared determined to give his own lecture that had little in common with the length, variety and, in some cases, meaning of the Italian spoken by Donadoni moments earlier. My personal favourite unlikely translations included Donadoni's support for the idea of a chip being placed into the door so that we could tell if a goal had been scored and Donadoni's pleasure that the Italian club he now played for had won the national cup. The guy looked bewildered when the existence of some strange entity known as the Whirled Cup was made known to him discreetly.

Franco Baldini, England's general manager (who looks like a cross between Kevin Keegan and Robert Downey Jr), was there and refused to answer the one question redirected his way (about Game 39) while Ray Clemence sat on the front row, was asked nothing, said nothing, left before the press conference section and appeared not to join in the drinks reception afterwards, though Sgr Donadoni was patiently and good-naturedly having his picture taken with seemingly every Birkbeck student in attendance while always looking slightly over everyone like he was expecting someone else to arrive or something else to be about to happen.

Don't get me wrong, Ray chatted to a few of his peers sat around him and seemed in good humour, but simply listened to the main spiel and then left. I was simply puzzled as to why on earth he'd gone.

Comment

Donadoni @ Birkbeck

My official account of proceedings is now here if anybody is interested:

http://londonist.com/2008/05/football_donado_1.php

Comment

Working...
          X