Acting drunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acting drunk

That is, pretending to be drunk, rather than simply performing in a role whilst inebriated. It's not easy, is it? Or at least, that's the impression I get, having watched decent actors in everything from sitcoms to heavyweight dramas attempting to do it convincingly. It seems to be an area of acting that hasn't really been refined in decades, one that's still bogged down in the caricaturish mannerisms of the 1950's. It's still apparently enough to practice the classic school of acting drunk's two S's - shudder and slur - which I don't think is how the majority of people act when they're under the influence of alcohol. There are more subtle nuances to take notice of - many people can imbibe large amounts of alcohol without losing control of their composure and speech, and an unsophisticted aprroach such as this doesn't take into account the peaks and troughs of emotional extremes displayed when drunk.

Yet still, great actors fall into the trap. I was watching episode four of Granada's Brideshead Revisited the other night and whilst it's undeniable that Anthony Andrews delivers an imperious performance as Sebastion, in the scene where he gatecrashes the family reading having been drinking all day, he goes straight for the shuddering and slurring technique, to a degree that's Steve Coogan would later adopt for comedy purposes when appearing as Paul Calf. In fact, Coogan is one of the few actors I can think of who's nailed a convincing drunk performance, in the episode of Alan Partridge where he drinks to excess with the canal promotion film company team. There are sudden, rather than continuous, convulsions; and it's as much about the inertia of being drunk as it is the concomitant tics and exclamations.

Anyway, feel free to use the miracle of YouTube to highlight any convincing or horribly cliched examples of acting drunk.

Acting drunk

Of a minor example, I draw your attention to Marina Sirtis in Star Trek: Insurrection, where, in the 23rd Century, being drunk consisted of jerking your head in that 'I think I've seen drunk people do this in sitcoms' way and giving the possible impression that you've never, in fact, had a glass of the hard stuff in the whole of your life, and so can only guess what drunk people do instead of giving an near-accurate representation, even comically.

Comment

Acting drunk

Wendell Pierce as Bunk Moreland has it nailed down.

Comment

Acting drunk

Hah, I was going to say exactly what Purv just said.

Comment

Acting drunk

Richard E. Grant as Withnail. Particularly when he's stopped by the police driving back into London.

Comment

Acting drunk

I think it's done well so rarely because drunk people are slow, boring and directionless in their musings, and thus ill-suited to drama - they're basically anti-characters; there's no-one there - so the problem's perhaps as much in the writing as in the acting. There's good physical slapstick to be had, though, obviously.

Richard E Grant was of course a life-long tea-totaller, and I reckon it's that outsider's view that led to him being so good in the role. I think they made him drink some booze in pre-shoot rehearsals, and he just kind of swayed and gibbered to himself for a few minutes before falling asleep.

Comment

Acting drunk

I quite like Jimmy Stewart's version:

Comment

Acting drunk

Comment

Acting drunk

Portugal's most famous drunk scene: Vasco Santana in conversation with a lamp post in Pátio das Cantigas (and a novel way to get him to bed).

Comment

Acting drunk

And the incomparable Freddy Frinton (with ciggy).

Comment

Acting drunk

robw wrote:
                      Richard E. Grant as Withnail. Particularly when he's stopped by the police driving back into London.
                      I was going to say this. The performance is all the more remarkable as Grant does not drink.

Actor friends of mine tell me the trick to acting drunk effectively is to pretend you are a drunk trying to act sober. I guess that moderates it a bit and also adds an element of self-delusion.

Comment

Acting drunk

ian.64 wrote:
                        I draw your attention to Marina Sirtis in Star Trek...
                        My attention is always on Marina Sirtis in Star Trek.

Comment

Acting drunk

Okay, it's caricature, but...

W.C. Fields.

To cut to the chase go to about the 3'20" mark.

Comment

Acting drunk

Actor friends of mine tell me the trick to acting drunk effectively is to pretend you are a drunk trying to act sober. I guess that moderates it a bit and also adds an element of self-delusion.
                            Yeah, Michael Caine's scene where he falls off the wagon before giving a big lecture in Educating Rita scores highly on this.

Comment

Acting drunk

That WC Fields clip is mint. He repeats the same sight gag with the cue three or four times, and it's just as funny.

Comment

Acting drunk

Anthony Andrews as Sebastian Flyte in 'Brideshead Revisited' was a wonderful drunk. Bleary-eyed, semi-coherent, he had it nailed.

Wonderfully authentic vomiting, too.

Comment

Acting drunk

James Stewart and Katherine Hepburn in The Philadephia Story.

No vomiting, though, thank God, authentic or otherwise.

Comment

Acting drunk

James Dean in Rebel Without A Cause. Good, or bad?

Ahead of its time, I'd say, but a bit too blatantly calculated and stylised and 'method' in retrospect.

Comment

Acting drunk

When is he supposed to be drunk in the movie?

I love Rebel Without A Cause. I don't think it's appreciated as much as it should be--of course Dean gets all of the attention for it, but it's a great film, even with the ending. So much of it is about its moment--1950s America and the fear of the Cold War.

Comment

Acting drunk

Not drunk, but no one does it better than Dean Martin the opening scene of Rio Bravo a man who us desperate for a drink.

Comment

Acting drunk

Lee Marvin in Cat Ballou.

"What's wrong with my eyes?"

"Well they're red, bloodshot."

"You ought to see 'em from my side"

Comment

Acting drunk

Renart wrote:
                                            robw wrote:
                                            I was going to say this. The performance is all the more remarkable as Grant does not drink.

In fact, he doesn't drink because he's allergic to alcohol. They made him get drunk (and thus very ill) just so he knew what it was like.

And, of course, the vinegar in the meths bottle incident. No acting required in Paul McGann's reaction shot.

Comment

Acting drunk

Incandenza wrote:
                                              When is he supposed to be drunk in the movie?
                                              Has it been a while since you watched Rebel Without A Cause, Inc? The opening scenes are all about Dean getting nicked for being drunk and disorderly, and his parents coming to bail him out, with a huge family row afterwards, etc etc.

Comment

Acting drunk

Oh, right.

Comment

Acting drunk

Possibly the worst is Tom Cruise's excruciating 'I let my pops down' self-pitying 'whisky-fuelled' lament in A Few Good Men.

Obviously, Withnail takes some beating, though Paul McGann played his part in that film's best booze scene - the Penrith tea rooms stramash.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X