Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Wire Season 5 - SPOILERS, GOT THEM SPOILERS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Corner is magnificent. If the gallows, as Wyatt puts it, lasted a whole series, it would be too much, but in a mini series format it's just teh right amount of heartbreaking.

We just finished the series last night, after an agonising two-night wait to watch the last episode, and it mirrored my physique in quite a pleasing way; a solid foundation nearly ruined by a wobbly middle, but finally saved by a beautifully structured finale.

I wildly disagree with the way some people racted to Omar's death. I thought it was wonderfully done, especially the way they ramped the tension during his final moments. What I loved about it most was how once he broke his own code, he was doomed (although those who say it was always about the money are wrong; he terrorised the Barksdale people because of what they did to his lover in the first season and it led to a death of a friend and perversely to his greastest heist of all - the shipment).

I also particularly liked the scene where McNulty confronts Templeton (and himself) with the truth and the way that Templeton is handed the story of a lifetime on a plate, which he can never use because of the corrupt way he wove himself into it. A morality tale for journos everywhere, that.

What else? The way the show just about managed to pull off high farce - although it came perilously close to Ngog-ing it over the fin - and the how Carcetti, who (despite SR's dislike) I actually think did have the city's interests at heart, particularly once he started on the race for Mayor, slowly becomes more and more smeared in shit and unknowingly turns into how we see Royce. In fact the completing of the narrative circle and display of the power the unseen system has impressed me, even if in Michael and Dukie's case it seemed a bit corny how obviously they were replacing existing characters.

I'd also like to start a thread about journalism, particularly what Simon and his former collegues at the Baltimore Sun have to say about the state of the industry and the job. Simon in particular makes some comments about the internet that I just don't agree with. I'd love to have SR on board for that as well, but I've got too much work to do today, so maybe another day.

By the way;

Season 3
    Season 4
    Season 1
    Seasson 5
    Season 2

The top four are all very close together, with 2 lagging a bit behind, mainly because of Ziggy. He was such a twat. It was a toss up between one and five for third place, but D'Angelo's story arch (the scene when he flips is one of the best pieces of television I've ever seen) was so good it probably betters the last season. Season three is untouchable I think, simply for the Stringer Bell/Avon double betrayal and the fall of their empire.

Anyway, I'm gutted there's no more of this. Are there any recommendations of where to go next? I've read both his books and seen The Corner.

Comment

Tremé.

Next Fall.

Comment

The_Liquidator wrote:

Anyway, I'm gutted there's no more of this. Are there any recommendations of where to go next? I've read both his books and seen The Corner.
        Anything by George Pelecanos (one of the scriptwriters for The Wire). Hardboiled as fuck.

Comment

Anyone got a link to the Series One thread (started, I think, by SR)? I've ploughed through to episode 10 and it's finally becoming more than mildly diverting.

Comment

There was a series one thread, wasn't there? Or were the series one comments and reviews a part of another Wire thread?

It would help if the search facility would let me search by thread title only.

Comment

I spent yesterday afternoon in the newsroom of a national newspaper, which (visually, but not just visually) reminded me of The Baltimore Sun in The Wire, and The Washington Post in All The President's Men. The stuff I overheard was quite an eye-opener, I tell you. Sadly I'll have to save it for the pub.

Comment

I mean, I'm sure it was nothing that certain other forum members don't encounter every single day... but I was still like whoah.

Comment

I watched 'The Hunt' last night ("Dope on the table..."), and this morning, the headline on the Lancaster Guardian was "CITY-WIDE DRUGS BUST".

Lancaster - Britain's Baltimore.

Comment

Working...
                  X