Drag Me To Hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drag Me To Hell

Went to see this last night, as it's coming to the end of it's run and I wanted to see it on a big screen. What a cracking piece of entertainment. Raimi going back to Evil Dead basics.

Raimi seems to understand that what people want is not necessarily to be sickened by realistc gore and violence when they go to see a horror movie. Instead, what we're looking for imho, is to be made to jump out our seats by surprises and shocks. And boy does Raimi deliver - he builds and builds and builds the tension so that you know that something is about to happen but you don't know what and when it does arrive, your pop corn does indeed go all over the shop.

The violence and horror has a real cartoon feel to it so that you laugh whilst being revolted. I'm not giving anything away when I say the build up to the bit with the anvil is pure Wylie Coyote.

Finally, I have to admit, I forgot the McGuffin. Well done Sam.

Drag Me To Hell

Whenever the commercials came on TV, when the announcer said "Drag Me To Hell" at the end, I always responded by saying "drag yourself to hell." I amused myself.

That is all.

Comment

Drag Me To Hell

gt3 wrote:
      ...your pop corn does indeed go all over the shop.
      My missus was watching The Strangers, with Liv Tyler, last week. Right at the end where you know things aren't quite finished, but they lull you into the sense that they are, I picked up my tea. When the 'last bit' finally happened, I jumped a mile and slopped tea all down my front.

Comment

Drag Me To Hell

I'm planning to go to see this with some mates on Monday. I love me some Raimi.

Comment

Drag Me To Hell

'Drag Me To Hull' would be scarier.

Anyway, excellent film. The main guy (can't remember his name) seems to model himself on David Schwimmer. Similar goofy looks and mannerisms.

Comment

Drag Me To Hell

robw - agreed, but then I don't actually think it's meant to be scary. t's more about the building and release oftension.

I'm even more annoyed now than I was at the time that I missed the Sam Raimi Q&A and preview screening at the ICA for which I had tickets. Bah!

Comment

Drag Me To Hell

I'm going to see this tonight, if I can persuade the missus.

Does Bruce Campbell make an appearance?

Comment

Drag Me To Hell

Not that I remember.

***************************mild spolier******************
                Unless that's him at the seance...

Comment

Drag Me To Hell

Yes, terrific fun. Went to the wrong screening and had to watch it dubbed into German, but fortunately the dialogue wasn't too difficult.

Very much in the spirit of Evil Dead 2. Raimi's fixation in this film with false teeth and gums was quite unsettling.

Comment

Working...
                  X