Anything For Her

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything For Her

Went to see this on Friday. Good movie - taut and exciting in a way that "Tell No-One" wasn't.

The relationship between our hero and his wife is really well drawn out and it's plain that he adores her and would indeed do anything for her. And again, his relationship with his family and especially his dad is well written.

*********Spoiler*********************************

I'm not sure I'd want to know if she's innocent or not. Nevertheless, the way we're told in about 15 seconds of screen time whether she is or not, is some of the tightest screenwriting I've seen in a long time.

Recommended.

Anything For Her

I also saw it on Friday. I don't quite share your enthusiasm gt although that might be to do with the French couple who sat behind me and spoke in their normal voices throughout the film. It lost my interest at the point your spoiler is revealed.

That's not to say that there aren't good points in the movie - as you say the family dynamic is well depicted. Seeing one of the prison visits from the point of view of the child was a nice touch too.

*****Spoiler elaborating on gt3's Spoiler***********
    We saw the conversation with the mother were she obviously has major doubts about the innocence of the wife. The audience should have felt this way throughout. The fact that the only people to die were nasty anti-social drug dealers and the prison and police personnel only suffered injuries just made it too neat and tidy for me.

Comment

Anything For Her

I'm sorry you had to suffer rude fellow viewers NA.

I thought the whole bleakness of the prison and the visits was really well handled.

***********************Spoiler******************** ******
      I'm pretty certain that the whole thing showing what really happened was just there for the American audience (with all due respect to OTF's American contingent) and doubtless the Hollywood remake will drag that sequence out for about half an hour.

The fact that the only people the husband kills are bad people I think is meant to give his actions a moral context and keeps the audience on his side I guess. Certainly I didn't have a problem with it.

Comment

Anything For Her

I don't understand the mindset of somebody who goes to the cinema to have a chat or have a noisy meal. I'm sure they don't understand my mindset of going to the cinema on my own at least once a week though.

The prison meetings were the best part of the movie for me. I also liked the planning sequences which reminded me of Man on Wire.

American audience is probably unfair to our Atlantic cousins. The film was marketed as this year's Tell No One and primed for a multiplex market (does everybody else get tired of being told that the movie is in a foreign language with subtitles when buying a ticket?).
        The producers of box office films don't treat the multiplex audiences of the US or anywhere else differently. They spell things out because they think they have to.

********************Spoiler***********************
        As you say though, clearing up her guilt in 15 seconds was quite an achievement. I just felt it was entirely unnecessary and that it detracted from the movie. The fact that all through the movie we were being reassured that it was ok to be on his side felt like hand-holding to me.

We get the speech with the multiple escapee that you need to be fully committed and willing to shoot innocent people to get away. However, even before the search for papers, we see the neighbourhood nuisance drug dealers. At that stage it's not clear why we are shown this but when the killing happens it becomes clear. All the criminals are portrayed as immigrant types except for the one "good" baddie. He is the only one in the film to rival the beauty of Dianne Kruger. The double killing is almost vigilante like in it's glee. We're being shown him fully committing but they're scum, it doesn't matter if he kills them. Look at that 90" plasma - they deserve to die, their ill-gotten gains should go the hero's cause.

Whereas in the escape he points his gun and hits a police officer but we are immediately shown the officer on his feet and not seriously injured. When you know the hero is going to be pure and his cause is just all that is left is whether he succeeds.

The escape does quicken the pulse (I particularly liked the hitchhiker bit) but it does draw on thriller cliché at some points.

This movie could have been awesome and it ended it up just above average. I'm much more disappointed when that happens than when I watch something run of the mill that turns out average.

Comment

Working...
        X